Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

Froggy the Great

23 hours ago, DocPiske said:

Be sure to call your mum tomorrow. I wish I could.

Call my mum I mean, not yours. That would be weird.

I wish I could call mine too, even after all this time I miss her so much. 

Hope everyone had had a good day and that Monday doesn't savage you all too much.  I worked all weekend and my plans for tomorrow include going out (in actual sunshine!!!) to try and get some good wildlife photos and some gardening later on. Should be fun. 

• Like 8

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Unruly said:

I've done those things. And it didn't work.

Also, I was right. It was Internet Explorer. Or rather Edge, which is just the brand new Internet Explorer. It doesn't like her printer. Trying to print anything from Edge gives an error, but trying to print that same thing from Firefox works perfectly fine.

Edge is nothing like internet explorer. Coming from a CS point of view, it is finally a secure browser. IE and Edge don't even share a codebase...

Edge is closer in nature to Chrome or Opera than to IE.

Sorry. Implying they were the same made me angry.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

Edge is nothing like internet explorer. Coming from a CS point of view, it is finally a secure browser. IE and Edge don't even share a codebase...

Edge is closer in nature to Chrome or Opera than to IE.

Sorry. Implying they were the same made me angry.

It may be more secure, but it's still a piece of crap as evidenced by the fact that literally everything else plays nice with my mom's printer, including Microsoft's other products like Word and Excel, and the fact that it insists on opening PDFs you're attempting to download using its own built-in PDF viewer rather than just downloading them or using the piece of software designated as the default for opening PDFs...

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

Hope everyone has had a good day and that Monday doesn't savage you all too much. 

It was better than the three that preceded it. :mellow:

Things went very South for me Thursday afternoon. I stepped out of my truck and that was when it all went wrong. 

Something bad happened inside my right knee. 

Friday I was stuck laying in bed wondering if it would ever get better. There is nobody around to bring ice, or heat (I don’t think I even own a heat pad), my normal meds were in the kitchen and I was too bad off to go that far to get them. 

The only thing at hand was an expired bottle of Vikoden. I tried 3 of those. (One pill at a time, spaced at 4-6 hour intervals, Thes.) Friday was a Lost day. Things got marginally better Saturday. 

Sunday, I got back close to my normal, ordinary level of arthritis-&-stiffness-&-pain.

...back to normal Monday?

• Like 1
  • Sad 15

While I was out Tuesday, two days before it all went South, I came across this:

707FBFB5-51AB-4027-A874-97A995A0FFAA.thumb.jpeg.7b3f44d16e1fc6227f4300c2535f0396.jpeg

A garden gnome with a spade. And his buddy. The garden parrot. :upside:

Garden gnomes I knew about. But parrots? 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TGP said:

It was better than the three that preceded it. :mellow:

Things went very South for me Thursday afternoon. I stepped out of my truck and that was when it all went wrong. 

Hide contents

Something bad happened inside my right knee. 

Friday I was stuck laying in bed wondering if it would ever get better. There is nobody around to bring ice, or heat (I don’t think I even own a heat pad), my normal meds were in the kitchen and I was too bad off to go that far to get them. 

The only thing at hand was an expired bottle of Vikoden. I tried 3 of those. (One pill at a time, spaced at 4-6 hour intervals, Thes.) Friday was a Lost day. Things got marginally better Saturday. 

Sunday, I got back close to my normal, ordinary level of arthritis-&-stiffness-&-pain.

...back to normal Monday?

The good thing is that pain meds don't really expire in the traditional sense. They may lose a bit of efficacy after a while, but they aren't going to do you any more harm than they would normally.

It's always good to have some spare heavy duty painkillers like that, in my experience. After I broke my arm, I had the leftovers of the percocet they gave me for about a year. They came in real handy in the latter stages of my physical therapy, when I was really pushing the damaged muscle, and then again when I screwed up my feet so badly that I couldn't walk without them for a couple days. There's no way I'd try to get some if I didn't have leftovers, but if I have leftovers they're getting locked up somewhere just in case.

Heck, even my friends in the medical field do it.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Unruly said:

The good thing is that pain meds don't really expire in the traditional sense. They may lose a bit of efficacy after a while, but they aren't going to do you any more harm than they would normally.

It's always good to have some spare heavy duty painkillers like that, in my experience.

I see a Doc on Wednesday. It was already scheduled, for other reasons, before the knee thing. I bet she won’t write me a script for some spares. 

2 hours ago, TGP said:

707FBFB5-51AB-4027-A874-97A995A0FFAA.thumb.jpeg.7b3f44d16e1fc6227f4300c2535f0396.jpeg

A garden gnome with a spade. And his buddy. The garden parrot. :upside:

One of the weird things about this photo is: I swear that gnome was green when I took the photo. Rather than mustard yellow. 

Another thing is: I can’t figure out if these are meant to be painted. I have only ever seen gnomes painted in red/blue outfits or else in sortof a bronzed finish. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, TGP said:

I see a Doc on Wednesday. It was already scheduled, for other reasons, before the knee thing. I bet she won’t write me a script for some spares. 

Would a knee support help your situation? I only ask because my friends mom has terrible knee issues and the support makes her days tolerable.

Also, some people might remember that I occasionally start wittering about the nest cams that I love watching whilst I paint. Well, over the weekend the first Osprey chick hatched at the Loch of the Lowes nature reserve ::D: One down, two more eggs to go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdDoJcPOX8U

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

First day of work after vacation.

All in all not a bad day.

I had Kapsalon for lunch ( google it if you want to know)

Youngest Vixen turns 20 today.

We had a celebration yesterday, but tonight her boyfriend and some girls will come over for round two.

She wants to invite her boyfriend's parents as well, we'll see if they show up on such short notice.

We haven't met them yet, Vixen and Boyfriend have been dating over a year now.

He's a good guy hope they will stick together and be happy.

Of course this means I have more food to prepare.

And I'm going to give her one more little suprise.

You've seen the way I presented the tapas/mezzes/antipasti...well she's a Chocoholic.

So tonight I'm going to make a chocolate platter for her as dessert.

It will be arranged on a wooden platter and will be full of chocolates/marshmallows and cookies.

I think she will love it.

On a minor bad note, we have some shrews in our walls.

They stink!

We have had this happening for a while now and all my measures have failed to expell the little buggers.

They are useful, eat insects, but that smell is too much.

So next week we will have an exterminator over for advice.

I wonder if he can do something about it that will last.

If he can't guarantee a final solution then I won't do it, the price is rather steep.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 10

28 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

So next week we will have an exterminator over for advice.

I wonder if he can do something about it that will last.

If he can't guarantee a final solution then I won't do it, the price is rather steep.

I know how to get rid of shrews. It doesn't involve pesticides or nasty chemicals either.

Get a cat :poke:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Mother's day visit to mom very successful. I spent the better part of the day there visiting, and helped out with a few minor household repairs and stuff. I also got to meet the semi-wild cat that has adopted her, too. She seems to love my mom, but doesn't particularly care for most other humans. She warmed up to me enough to let me give her a few scritches, though.

Getting snowed on was a bit of a surprise, though. I'm glad I at least happened to be wearing a hoodie in case it was 'a little chilly' there.

ETA---I should mention that my mom lives out in the middle of the woods in Vermont, so when i say 'wild' cat I mean wild as in not domesticated, not like a lynx or anything like that.

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 11

When mid May feels like mid March... 

Im going down to visit my friends back in Baltimore this weekend, cause one is proposing to her girlfriend. And I love them, but I'm really not looking forward to the drive. And it means no D&D on Saturday. And they're both in the game!

@TGP hope the knee is okay. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

ETA---I should mention that my mom lives out in the middle of the woods in Vermont, so when i say 'wild' cat I mean wild as in not domesticated, not like a lynx or anything like that.

Yeah, what I would think of as a barn cat. My aunt and uncle had barn cats, usually between 2 and 8 or so, depending on births and owls. 

• Like 6