Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

Froggy the Great

2 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

A friend of mine has a Bengal kitten.  Not sure I'd describe it as dog-like, it's very friendly but also insanely acrobatic and curious.  Still a good choice if you have allergies and want a cat, though.  ^_^

This is Thor:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNdsC5yQersVULbyvn5O7

the Bengal Cat. He resembles a Tiger from some angles. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Sylverthorne said:

Our Topaz is a Siberian, they're also known for their hypoallergenic tendencies. 

Savannahs are the ones that are supposed to be doglike, but I wouldn't swear they're hypoallergenic. 

We have a Devon Rex.  Very friendly, a little easier on the allergies and the softest ball of fur ever.  When she was young she used to ride on our shoulders like a familiar.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

See! It IS like Chrome!

I can't stand either Chrome or Edge, and for a while Grump's computer would KEEP SWITCHING TO EDGE, no matter what either us told it to do.

I came about THIS close ] [ to telling Grump to rip Windows 10 out of all our computers, it is the pushiest bit of BEEP that I have ever seen for an operating system, even worse that Apple's OS.

When we tell you we DON'T want Edge, and DO want Firefox then what we are telling you is that we DON'T want Edge and DO want Firefox!

When we telly you DON'T want Edge, and DO want Acrobat Reader we mean we DON'T want Edge and DO want Acrobat Reader.

When we tell you we DON'T want Edge and DO want ANY other media player, we mean we DON'T want Edge and DO want literally ANY other media player!

Over, and over, and over.

At least Chrome doesn't try to shove itself down our throats anymore. Edge still tries after some updates, but not all of them anymore.

But it seems like Windows 10 is ALWAYS updating.

I think I need coffee, I am feeling really cranky about this. :unsure:

It says you are a NERD! :lol:

One of the big things that sold me on switching to Linux was that it will do updates in the background and most of them don't require a restart for them to completely install.  I get security updates as fast as they are pushed out, which means sometimes I'm getting an update package on a daily basis.  About once a week, or less, one of them will require a restart but it is so considerate that it will inform you that it needs to restart to do the install and would you like to do that now or later.  It will put up the same reminder message every few hours but that's about as pushy as it gets.

If I sound like a Linux Zealot, well, when I hear about everybody else's woes with Windo$e, and I haven't seen anything similar for the last 10 years and more, I give a sigh and a {hopefully} gentle PSA that there are alternatives and they don't need to cost an arm and a leg.

GEM

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 5/11/2019 at 7:22 AM, SparrowMarie said:

And thanks y'all for listening to my rants about moving. I'm sure once we get into the house things will get a little better.

It definitely helps (I speak from experience)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Our smoke alarm is going to spend the night in the basement while it thinks about what it's done.

We got home from work at 130am as usual. There's this shrill beep. Ugh. A minute or so later another one. Then another one. The interval was chaotic, anywhere from 15 seconds to 7 minutes. We had to wake up the building manager to get him to remove the thing. He's taken it to the basement where it can beep to its little heart's content.

I have taken a fistful of ibuprofen. I started the night with a migraine, this has not helped matters.

Tired.

• Like 1
  • Sad 14

Today the local wildlife has been active.

A bunny was watching me from the safety of the hedges as I walked to my car this morning.

Once I got in he came closer, right beside the driveway, and watched me drive away.

This evening I’m driving home, just a few houses away was a cat watching me from the side of the road.

I realized he had a still struggling mouse in its mouth.

So that pretty much describes how my day went.

• Like 13

3 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

One of the big things that sold me on switching to Linux was that it will do updates in the background and most of them don't require a restart for them to completely install.  I get security updates as fast as they are pushed out, which means sometimes I'm getting an update package on a daily basis.  About once a week, or less, one of them will require a restart but it is so considerate that it will inform you that it needs to restart to do the install and would you like to do that now or later.  It will put up the same reminder message every few hours but that's about as pushy as it gets.

If I sound like a Linux Zealot, well, when I hear about everybody else's woes with Windo$e, and I haven't seen anything similar for the last 10 years and more, I give a sigh and a {hopefully} gentle PSA that there are alternatives and they don't need to cost an arm and a leg.

GEM

As much as I've wanted to use a flavor of Linux as my go-to OS, it has done a LOT to make me hate it. It's either through the ivory tower mindset that the adherents have, or the complete lack of support from hardware manufacturers, or the unstable state of a lot of key pieces of software. So many times I asked for help and was given an answer that can be summarized as "read the manual for every last piece of software installed on your system and then learn to code so that you can just rewrite half of them to work the way you want them to." KDE keeps deleting its config files every few days so you're stuck in shell until you spend an hour fixing it? "Just write a script to make a new config! It'll take you 20 minutes to write a script and then you can just run it every few days when your config gets deleted! It's not a problem! You do know how to write a script don't you?" Have a Broadcom wireless card in your laptop, because Broadcom is one of only 3 companies that makes built-in wireless chipsets? "There are no Linux drivers available for your wireless card, and never will be because Broadcom hates Linux. You should have bought a laptop with an Atheros or Intel based wireless card. Enjoy your new desktop!" You want to play games? "Well, we've got Tux Racer! Otherwise you'll have to use WINE, which doesn't really work for most games, and when it does work every game needs a tweaked config file to make it playable. And if it's an online game prepare to be banned because a lot of them detect WINE users as hackers."

Granted, my last experience with Linux was over 10 years ago. It may have gotten better, but at the same time I read enough Slashdot to see that experiences like my own still play out frequently enough. Linux's biggest strength is its ability to be customized to extreme levels, but that's also it's biggest weakness because it's made it such a fragmented system. And that's without all the "Open source or nothing!" crowd that throw a fit when a company tries to support Linux but doesn't make their stuff open source. Like how they pitch a fit that Nvidia doesn't release open source video drivers even though they are actually releasing CURRENT drivers that work with Linux. I'd much rather be able to use something, even if I'm "limited" in that use by not being able to completely modify it, than not be able to use it at all until someone writes a half-as-good, but open source, alternative in a few years. But a lot of the Linux faithful would rather the latter.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

3 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

GEM

I've installed Linux many times over the years. The first time it was a version on 64 3.5" floppies...    

But it has always ended up with me asking 'what now?'    

Nope, not a Windos fan.

Back in the 90s I preferred OS/2 (and still have a machine running it) 

Then in 2005, I bought an Apple iBook (the last of the greats, the 12" G4), and was instantly smitten. Don't ask me to fix any OS X issues, though, for I have very little experience with issues on it...      

(I have a modern Mac Mini these days, hooked up to the TV for entertainment purposes)

But most of my surfing and online presence is from a Windows laptop or an Android tablet. Because they're so cheap they're almo

Parallell to that, I bought my first PDA, a Psion S3a back in 1995 or about then...   16bit OS, multitasking... I typicaly got 60+ hours work time out of a pair of AAs. I wrote documentation on it, I wrote stories, I wrote programs...   It had a complete WYSIWYG office package. In my pocket!   

In 1997 they lauched the S5, with a fully Object Oriented 32bit OS that blew everything else out of the water. It even had a GOOD keyboard. I still have it. And I'll break the fingers of anyone trying to touch it without my permission.

The 7" netBook(actual model name) came in 1999 and sported 32MB RAM and a StrongARM chip at a blazing 190MHz.    

The OS was now called Symbian...   

I was writing the 'Greatest novel of modern times' (got to over 250 pages), but life intervened.     

The machine still lives on my nightstand.   

Psion stopped making computers...   

And all good things must come to an end...

Or must they?

A tiny company calling themselves Planet Computers, founded by people who had worked on the S5, and missed the days when a keyboard mattered said 'let there be keys' or something like that, and launched the Gemini, a clamshell with a decent keyboard that would still fit in your pocket.   

Mine currently runs Android 7(will upgrade to 8.1 soon), Debian(a new version is coming soon, which is kind of important since LibreOffice is a pain on the current version) and Sailfish. There's even a prepackaged Kali distro for it.(Kali is a Linux distro for Pen-testers and others with an above average interest in computer security)

Heartened by the success of the Gemini, they're now working on the Cosmo.    

Tonight I will attempt to install Debian on an old StoneGate firewall, so that I can run OpenHab on it.   

• Like 5

16 hours ago, TGP said:

Free advice versus Shrews: https://pestkill.org/rodents/shrews/

I wonder if these ^ are a similar species to the ones plaguing WOOF HQ. 

Thanks!

I'm getting advice from an expert next week, I will certainly weigh this advice against his and look at the costs.

And yes these are the little buggers, I already killed a few in traps although I recently learned that these count as a protected species around here.

So I need other measures ( maybe a Python in the wall will do the dirty job for me, but then I would have to deal with a well fed Python growing in my walls one day...ok bad plan..)

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

3 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

Our smoke alarm is going to spend the night in the basement while it thinks about what it's done.

We got home from work at 130am as usual. There's this shrill beep. Ugh. A minute or so later another one. Then another one. The interval was chaotic, anywhere from 15 seconds to 7 minutes. We had to wake up the building manager to get him to remove the thing. He's taken it to the basement where it can beep to its little heart's content.

I have taken a fistful of ibuprofen. I started the night with a migraine, this has not helped matters.

Tired.

Sympathies about the headache.

The chirping smoke detector might be an indication of  need for new batteries.

At least that's what it means when mine do that.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

Tired.

Hope your headache's better!!

Today's been an interesting day, theatre rehearsals after school were a bit frustrating but I think my group's in a good place so that's something sorted. Might paint again now that schedule's not crammed to burst.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

Well, if you ever change your mind, Bengals are hypoallergenic, most people with allergies don't react to them. They are also quite doglike in behaviour and very loyal.

An endangered Horsetail? I thought those things were nigh on indestructible ::o:

Dogs are doglike!

Pfffttt... cats...<_<

10 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

A friend of mine has a Bengal kitten.  Not sure I'd describe it as dog-like, it's very friendly but also insanely acrobatic and curious.  Still a good choice if you have allergies and want a cat, though.  ^_^

Why on earth would I want a cat? ::P:

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor dog vs cat meme

3 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Today the local wildlife has been active.

A bunny was watching me from the safety of the hedges as I walked to my car this morning.

Once I got in he came closer, right beside the driveway, and watched me drive away.

This evening I’m driving home, just a few houses away was a cat watching me from the side of the road.

I realized he had a still struggling mouse in its mouth.

So that pretty much describes how my day went.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YvAYIJSSZY

• Haha 5

10 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

An endangered Horsetail? I thought those things were nigh on indestructible ::o:

Unfortunately, the combination of uncommon species with a specific set of requirements and disappearing habitat aren't doing this particular variety any favors. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 6

4 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

I don't remember if I've told this story.

When I was nine, the smoke detector started randomly going off at about 2 am.  My parents, being paranoid about this (especially since, three years ago, when we were living in another state, the townhome next door burned to the ground), took us kids outside.  No fire, no smoke, nothing.  My father went back inside and looked around.  Still no fire, no smoke, nothing.  (For the record, this wasn't a bright idea.  The fire department should have been involved and should have been the ones to give the "all clear" judgment.)

The eventual decision was that the smoke detector was failing and it was disconnected and replaced.  I don't know if it was determined why it was failing, but I do remember it was an americium-based smoke detector, which suggests it was an ionization smoke detector.  Wikipedia says ionization smoke detectors "may be more prone to false alarms triggered by non-hazardous events than photoelectric detectors" so that's probably what happened for us.

• Like 6