Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

Froggy the Great

3 hours ago, Unruly said:

You want to play games? "Well, we've got Tux Racer! Otherwise you'll have to use WINE, which doesn't really work for most games, and when it does work every game needs a tweaked config file to make it playable. And if it's an online game prepare to be banned because a lot of them detect WINE users as hackers."

^ This right here is why I haven't switched to Linux of any flavor, though I did look into it quite seriously. That and the "Code it yourself, and if can't then git gud, n00b" mentality really turned me off to it. I may not like Windows, but at least I am well-experienced in beating it savagely until it sucumbs to my will (my Win7 machine is very well-behaved lol) . I don't know how to program (not out of lack of desire, but lack of time), and I don't want to have to spend hours debugging my computer to figure out why it wouldn't open a Word document. 

But really, it's mostly the compatibility issues. I likes my pc games, yes precious, and I want to be able to keep playing them. 

I might give Linux a try on my crummy netbook, though. I decided to use it to test out Windows 10, and have been pretty thoroughly convinced I don't want it anywhere near our main PCs. The poor little thing struggles to do anything anymore, even after I gave it an additional 2 gb of RAM and did a complete wipe and reinstall of Windows. Twice. The only things on it now are Chrome and Dropbox (because there was no way for me to recover Office after I wiped it the first time, as I discovered only after it was too late), so if I completely swap its OS, there's no data to be lost. I just need to sort out which of the Linux flavors is most user-friendly.... 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish cats wouldn't poop in my garden.

I don't like mowing the lawn at the best of times, I could do without the local feline population making the job barf-tastic too.

Currently taking a bit of a tea-break until my nose recovers.  

• Sad 10

29 minutes ago, aku-chan said:

I wish cats wouldn't poop in my garden.

I don't like mowing the lawn at the best of times, I could do without the local feline population making the job barf-tastic too.

Currently taking a bit of a tea-break until my nose recovers.  

Visit the local zoo and ask for some Tiger or Lion poop.

Spread that around the garden and no cat will visit that anymore thinking it belongs to the territory of a very large and brutal cat.

Hmmm...on the other hand you might have more poop that way from a bigger cat.

• Like 8

Ahhhh, Linux.  I'd love to love it, but... Yeah, most have already commented on the main issues I have with it...  My favourite games don't run on it natively (or they run with some pretty big issues), it's an absolute pain to set up and configure by comparison.. 

...Sure runs BOINC and Folding@Home rather nicely, getting upwards of 2.25x the performance in some applications though (Rosetta@Home through BOINC sees an insane improvement in amount of work done, and Folding@Home usually sees about a 30% PPD improvement on nvidia cards).  Think it was something about vina apps running soooo much better in Linux due to proper support or something like that. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Visit the local zoo and ask for some Tiger or Lion poop.

Spread that around the garden and no cat will visit that anymore thinking it belongs to the territory of a very large and brutal cat.

Hmmm...on the other hand you might have more poop that way from a bigger cat.

Don't have a local zoo ::(:

Plus, I don't really mind having cats in the garden, I just wish they didn't poop, or at least do it in places where I won't run the lawnmower over it and release The Stench.

44 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

So... ICv2 is reporting that there's 25% tariffs on minis made in china coming. 

Ouch!

I foresee my Kingdom Death Kickstarter pledge getting even more expensive.

• Sad 9

19 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

Now that you have the attorney on this I expect it'll get fixed soon enough. But mailing in the forms yourself is still a good idea. You can mail it to any of the service centers. Your closest one is in Kansas City. Address in the spoiler. Just remember while we can look people up by name, it does suck. Put your SSN on the letter along with name and any description of the situation you want. We actually read the letters. Detailed information is appreciated.

Thanks for the insight. 

As for "Just remember while we can look people up by name, it does suck. " - yeah, I try not to rely on agencies and companies looking me up just by name. I'm real experienced with being mistaken for other people.    I'm the fifth in six generations of first sons with the same first and last name (different middle names).  My grandfather and I share a middle initial, my dad and I both owned the same home, and my son and I were born in the same month.  Worse, my wife and unmarried cousin share the same first name and birth month, plus my cousin used to live with my parents when they owned that home before my wife and I did. 

So I pretty much assume that I'm going to have to provide more information to uniquely identify myself.  I don't have it as bad as my Smith & Cruz friends, though - at least I'm usually related to the people I get mixed up with. 

I think computers are making it worse. 

• Like 11

30 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Thanks for the insight. 

As for "Just remember while we can look people up by name, it does suck. " - yeah, I try not to rely on agencies and companies looking me up just by name. I'm real experienced with being mistaken for other people.    I'm the fifth in six generations of first sons with the same first and last name (different middle names).  My grandfather and I share a middle initial, my dad and I both owned the same home, and my son and I were born in the same month.  Worse, my wife and unmarried cousin share the same first name and birth month, plus my cousin used to live with my parents when they owned that home before my wife and I did. 

So I pretty much assume that I'm going to have to provide more information to uniquely identify myself.  I don't have it as bad as my Smith & Cruz friends, though - at least I'm usually related to the people I get mixed up with. 

I think computers are making it worse. 

Hey, I resemble that remark...  

it is is really surprising how many John/Jonathan Smith's there are in the world; I even worked with another that had the same middle initial that wasn't even remotely related to me. Then there are the celebrities that have the same name, there was an Olympic runner in the mid 20th century who shared my (first and last) name and the rapper Lil' John is also a Jonathan Smith. 

• Like 10

I searched for my real name on Facebook a few years ago (without loggging in).  It turned up a list 378 fb pages long of people named me who are not me. 

Edited by TGP
Are real names overrated?
  • Like 10
  • Sad 1