Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

3 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

How do you get "binky" from "pacifier"? It doesn't make sense :wacko:

"Binky(with a y) was first used in about 1935 as a trademarked brand name for pacifiers and other baby products manufactured by the Binky Baby Products Company of New York."

-- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacifier

• Like 5
  • Thanks 11

5 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

"Binky(with a y) was first used in about 1935 as a trademarked brand name for pacifiers and other baby products manufactured by the Binky Baby Products Company of New York."

-- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacifier

lol, thanks :lol:

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

I did not know that I always wanted to know that. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 9

I'm pretty sure that I'm experiencing what will later be an "I told you so" moment.   I certainly hope I'm wrong, but 20 years of experience is screaming I won't be. 

Distributor rep comes to me last year needing help with a quote for a site that is in another state from her.   She was approached by a wash manufacturer selling to the site looking for help with some of the site's special requirements.  She has experience with a bunch of equipment, which is why they went to her.  She recommends my client's equipment.  She and I discuss these requirements as well as the fact that we'll have to service a site that is 12 hours away from her, and 8 hours away from me in a small town of 5k people with no big cities nearby.  We figure out the equipment mix which is able to do what they want, but is also the most reliable and easiest to maintain pieces of equipment my client makes. 

Deal goes forward last month, they pay their deposit - every thing is looking fine. 

New site owners go to car wash trade show, go to my client's booth, and see all the fancy and flashy new equipment, get mad that we didn't "sell them the good stuff" (for significantly more money, I might add.)   And then they talk to the engineer, who promises he can do some custom programming the distributor and I already ruled out. 

The sale is still going through the distributor, so that's not a problem, but she and I are upset because we're sure we'll be the ones bearing the brunt of any dissatisfaction that the customer experiences because they're 8 hours away from anyone qualified to work on their equipment, and they've chosen the most complicated (and thus prone to issues) equipment my client manufactures.   I expressed my concerns to my client, and all they can see is a sale that is going to be $40-50k more than what I originally helped the dist quote, not the back end support that will eat all that up. 

• Sad 14

2 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

lol, thanks :lol:

2 minutes ago, TGP said:

I did not know that I always wanted to know that. 

I thought it was an interesting question, too. Which means that I was virtually required to look it up. ^_^

2 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

... we'll have to service a site that is 12 hours away from her, and 8 hours away from me in a small town of 5k people with no big cities nearby.

Well, I hope it's in a pretty area with good hotels. <_<

Not the way to bet, I'm sure.

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

I'm pretty sure that I'm experiencing what will later be an "I told you so" moment.   I certainly hope I'm wrong, but 20 years of experience is screaming I won't be. 

Distributor rep comes to me last year needing help with a quote for a site that is in another state from her.   She was approached by a wash manufacturer selling to the site looking for help with some of the site's special requirements.  She has experience with a bunch of equipment, which is why they went to her.  She recommends my client's equipment.  She and I discuss these requirements as well as the fact that we'll have to service a site that is 12 hours away from her, and 8 hours away from me in a small town of 5k people with no big cities nearby.  We figure out the equipment mix which is able to do what they want, but is also the most reliable and easiest to maintain pieces of equipment my client makes. 

Deal goes forward last month, they pay their deposit - every thing is looking fine. 

New site owners go to car wash trade show, go to my client's booth, and see all the fancy and flashy new equipment, get mad that we didn't "sell them the good stuff" (for significantly more money, I might add.)   And then they talk to the engineer, who promises he can do some custom programming the distributor and I already ruled out. 

The sale is still going through the distributor, so that's not a problem, but she and I are upset because we're sure we'll be the ones bearing the brunt of any dissatisfaction that the customer experiences because they're 8 hours away from anyone qualified to work on their equipment, and they've chosen the most complicated (and thus prone to issues) equipment my client manufactures.   I expressed my concerns to my client, and all they can see is a sale that is going to be $40-50k more than what I originally helped the dist quote, not the back end support that will eat all that up. 

So when it starts to go "Wahoonie Shaped" lay it off on the engineer and his "custom programing".  It won't help with this situation but might prevent future incidents of a similar nature.

Sometimes the only way to get people who will be out of the loop from making these sort of promises is to require them to make good on those promises when it turns out they have over promised and under delivered.

GEM

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

How do you get "binky" from "pacifier"? It doesn't make sense :wacko:

Binky was a company that made pacifiers.

Like Zipper, the name stuck - though, oddly, it stuck longer in England, even though I think Binky was an American company. (Boston or New York, I think. Maybe both.)

The Auld Grump - Megan has been playing with my computer again.... ::D: Waiting on one more player before the game begins. (Detention, I gather.)

Edited by PaganMegan
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, SparrowMarie said:

Today:

- Pack

- Clean

- Hold on to what little bit of sanity I have left.

- Pack some more.

- Move things to house

- Unpack at house?

ETA: Found a dead, what I think was, a dead stink bug in the upstairs bathroom. Hoping not to find more. I don't think I'll use that bathroom unless necessary. It probably needs a whole remodel upon inspection. 

The whole house has things to fix and I'm very frustrated about it.

Not to be overly sarcastic but 'welcome to the world of home ownership'  There will always be stuff that needs to be fixed.  something is always failing.  Owning a house does give you some appreciation of a good landlord. 

Just wait until you have lived there 10 years and you need to figure out how to move everything so you can change the carpet or redo the flooring.

the favorite part in my house is that the last owner couldn't decide if he was a plumber or a designer of water slides for mice.  I seriously have a 15 degree angle on one of my pipes.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

Wasn't it released in December? It'll miss this year's election day ::P:

It all depends if you consider the movie to be American or British. :poke:

If a UK citizen, then it all depends how long Theresa May stays in office or not.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

I have only ever heard Binky used in period drama television shows. Actual extended family members used other silly words. 

(...There are lots of silly words that crop up in the presence of human infants...) 

(...Why is that?..)

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

What I wouldn't give to see a commission or bonus program that paid out only part of the funds up front and the rest after you saw how it did after 2 or 3 years.  I imagine people would have quite a different view of what to install or who to listen to.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Serenity said:

You mean the head was not stuck under your skin as you thought?  I'm confused, but happy for you.  Ticks are the worst of bugs.  

3 hours ago, Serenity said:

You mean the head was not stuck under your skin as you thought

Yep..they said I got all of the tick out. It just looked like there was something still in my skin. 

• Like 11

17 minutes ago, TGP said:

I have only ever heard Binky used in period drama television shows. Actual extended family members used other silly words. 

(...There are lots of silly words that crop up in the presence of human infants...) 

(...Why is that?..)

Because when they're not being little suicide machines or little poop machines, they have the potential to be rather cute..

• Like 2
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

Binky was a company that made pacifiers.

Like Zipper, the name stuck - though, oddly, it stuck longer in England, even though I think Binky was an American company. (Boston or New York, I think. Maybe both.)

The Auld Grump - Megan has been playing with my computer again.... ::D: Waiting on one more player before the game begins. (Detention, I gather.)

I was about to say it wasn't me, but then I remembered. Sorry, hon. ::P:

I actually knew that about Binky! ::D:I think I was looking for info on Death's horse from Discworld when I ran across it.

• Like 9