Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

17 minutes ago, Unruly said:

But the name tags are always a dead giveaway that they're Mormons. One of them will be "Elder <insert first name here>," while the other will be "Brother <insert first name here>." I've never seen them send any of the ladies out proselytizing, but I assume it would be the same except for substituting sister for brother if they did. I don't think I've ever seen Jehova's Witnesses with name tags like that.

Actually, both nametags will read 'Elder LastName' and sister missionaries do proselyting missions as well, they're just a minority in the mission field, so aren't as likely to be seen out and about.

Members are referred to as Brother or Sister LastName in conversation, with a few exceptions (male missionaries and senior church leadership mainly)

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Unruly said:

So there's a game out now, that's free to play, called Dauntless. It's basically a dumbed down Monster Hunter clone. Which is good, because Monster Hunter can be stupid with some of its complexity. But the really awesome part? It's got cross platform play between all 3 major systems! Xbone, ps4, and PC players can all play together! And when the Switch version is released, it'll be added into the mix as well.

So, anyone here like killing monsters and making stuff with their parts?

Only bad thing right now is that the servers are a bit overloaded. It took me about half an hour in the queue to log in today. And it's still a little buggy, but nothing major that I've seen so far.

Oh, hubby and I are playing that right now! (Okay, we're actually in a loading screen :rolleyes: ) We're having fun with it so far!

4 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

If you're bottlefeeding I got nothing.

But if you're not... have you tried beer? No, seriously. And not just for the fact that drinking beer will make you feel better. My sister had some fairly major problems as a baby until my mother went crying to this old guy OB and he recommended she drink beer. There are some micronutrients that are difficult to find outside of brewer's yeast that help both you and the baby. Variety in your diet helps Lil'Red as much as it helps you.

I'm breastfeeding. (Because it's freeeeeeee!) But, I can't stand beer. The smell is just awful.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, eldamir said:

Actually, both nametags will read 'Elder LastName' and sister missionaries do proselyting missions as well, they're just a minority in the mission field, so aren't as likely to be seen out and about.

Members are referred to as Brother or Sister LastName in conversation, with a few exceptions (male missionaries and senior church leadership mainly)

Huh. Around here I could swear they tend to put their first names on their name tags, though I could very much be wrong on the Brother portion of it. Either that or a lot of the ones around here have first name last names. Maybe a regional thing?

13 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Oh, hubby and I are playing that right now! (Okay, we're actually in a loading screen :rolleyes: ) We're having fun with it so far!

It's not bad. Some things need work, like when it doesn't harvest stuff even though you're being told to press the button and are pressing it, but for the most part it's been pretty nice. I need to work on my dodge timing and learn the enemy patterns better though.

Currently playing with a war pike, because I like the fast attack speed.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

I'm breastfeeding. (Because it's freeeeeeee!) But, I can't stand beer. The smell is just awful.

Having done that a few times/years, feel free to PM me if you want advice or to complain or whatever.  It feels like it should be instinctive, but it's really a learned skill.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Unruly said:

Currently playing with a war pike, because I like the fast attack speed.

I'm digging the chain blades and hammer. Hubby likes the pike thing and hammer. We've found that the hammer is really great for knocking things down and stopping charge attacks. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

I'm digging the chain blades and hammer. Hubby likes the pike thing and hammer. We've found that the hammer is really great for knocking things down and stopping charge attacks. 

See, I just tried the hammer and while the knockdown is good, I couldn't get the hang of the secondary attack. And the attacks themselves are just so danged slow that it was hard to time them on a moving target. And since pretty much nothing stands still once you're past the lesser stuff, that makes it hard to fight.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, OneBoot said:

I think this hotel room secretly hates people. There's a gap in the curtains that perfectly aimed the morning sun (well, daylight at least, this is Seattle after all) at my face, despite the fact that I KNOW I pulled them firmly shut. They have now been...dealt with. 

At least the bed is surprisingly comfy; I'm going to find out what brand the mattress is, since ours at home is really getting to the point of needing replacement. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Aah, you seem to have fallen afoul of a hotel room gnome.

These mischievous little fey are responsible for all the weird little things that occur when one is residing in a hotel room. The curtain gap that you have already experienced is one commonly reported phenomenon; others include the sudden 20 degree temperature shift in the middle of the night, the alarm clock going off at 3:27 in the morning, or the unexplained noise that doesn't happen until one turns off the lights to try to sleep.

Some common deterrents to unwanted hotel room gnome activity include leaving at least one light on in the room(the gnome will think you are still awake and not wish to be seen), leaving out a book (the gnome will read the book and be too busy to cause any mischief), or leaving out a treat for them; they are especially found of dark chocolate and granny Smith apples.

• Like 2
  • Haha 14

9 hours ago, Unruly said:

Huh. Around here I could swear they tend to put their first names on their name tags, though I could very much be wrong on the Brother portion of it. Either that or a lot of the ones around here have first name last names. Maybe a regional thing?

Having had several brothers that have served missions and seeing active ones each week at church, I'm pretty sure I've never seen a first name.  Also, if you look at the order form on the BYU store site, it only has a place for last name.

It's also not going to be a regional thing as missionaries almost never serve near where they're from - the closest I've ever known was the brother of an ex-girlfriend who had fairly serious health issues crop up during his mission in the Atlanta area and was reassigned to a mission at church headquarters - so was only 6 hours away from home for the last half of his mission.

What is probably happening is that seeing a first last name sticks in your memory .. Elder Scott, for example when the fellow next to him is Elder Scwhannhoufer :D

• Like 7

I think I had a successful weekend. Had about 30 to 40 for my paint and take and almost all of them had never painted before. Almost none of the Warhammer tournament folks came over, which surprised me. Things may change next year according to the game room coordinator, so we will see if I can work something out with the regular con folks so I can do this for them. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Keianna said:

Things may change next year according to the game room coordinator,

Did the GRC say what he (she?) thought would change or why? 

• Like 5

Just now, TGP said:

Did the GRC say what he (she?) thought would change or why? 

Game room is shifting farther toward various miniatures games and away from board games and RPGs. There is less and less overlap between the game crowd and the general congoers who just want to game for a bit. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, eldamir said:

What is probably happening is that seeing a first last name sticks in your memory .. Elder Scott, for example when the fellow next to him is Elder Scwhannhoufer :D

Very well could be. I haven't had any direct contact with them in a decade now thanks to working night shift, so my memory could be fogging some. I still see them walking around town all the time while I'm at work, but aside from a polite "hello" every now and again I haven't had any of them try to talk to me while I'm working. The few times I've run across Jehova's Witnesses at work they've still tried to hand me a pamphlet, though. But it's usually the same older guy and his wife, and they set up on a street corner with a little folding kiosk rather than going door to door.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, eldamir said:

@eldamir beat me to it, lol. 

10 hours ago, Unruly said:

Most members are referred to as Brother or Sister (last name), missionaries as Elder or Sister (last name), local bishops as Bishop (last name), and our prophet and president of the church as President (last name). Kids are usually just called by first names, but the use of Brother or Sister is still appropriate (and usually makes them giggle ^_^). 

It took me quite awhile after getting married to get used to being called something different, lol. 

2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I think you might be right. I not only pulled the curtains firmly shut again last night, I pushed my husband's suitcase against them to make sure they stayed. I did turn on the bathroom light, but to no avail. The curtain gap returned, the suitcase was pulled away from the window and the light was switched off when the morning grayness cheerfully woke me up again. (I suspect our gnome may be called MrBoot lol). 

Huzzah! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 9

12 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

I think you might be right. I not only pulled the curtains firmly shut again last night, I pushed my husband's suitcase against them to make sure they stayed. I did turn on the bathroom light, but to no avail. The curtain gap returned, the suitcase was pulled away from the window and the light was switched off when the morning grayness cheerfully woke me up again. (I suspect our gnome may be called MrBoot lol). 

Huzzah! 

Don't forget, you are at Paizocon and their mascot is a goblin. <_<

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

3 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

These mischievous little fey are responsible for all the weird little things that occur when one is residing in a hotel room. The curtain gap that you have already experienced is one commonly reported phenomenon; others include the sudden 20 degree temperature shift in the middle of the night, the alarm clock going off at 3:27 in the morning, or the unexplained noise that doesn't happen until one turns off the lights to try to sleep.

Some common deterrents to unwanted hotel room gnome activity include leaving at least one light on in the room(the gnome will think you are still awake and not wish to be seen), leaving out a book (the gnome will read the book and be too busy to cause any mischief), or leaving out a treat for them; they are especially found of dark chocolate and granny Smith apples.

Huh, I thought that the mysterious creatures that made the chocolates disappear from hotel rooms were called 'wives'. :huh:

The Auld Grump

• Like 3
  • Haha 14