Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

How long does someone need to be dead for it to be considered 'archaeology' and not 'grave robbing'?

 

17 minutes ago, Crowley said:

This feels like a GTKY question... but I'll bite. Does the civilization still exist in the area the grave is located in? If yes, grave robbing. If no, archaeology. Or maybe... 300+ years?

 

That is not a bad question at all. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

How long does someone need to be dead for it to be considered 'archaeology' and not 'grave robbing'?

 

When the dead's relatives don't complain about it?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Crowley said:

This feels like a GTKY question...

 

And now it is the May 29 Question.

 

TV land has harked up a new show about Cleopatra’s tomb. (It is really reaaaally stupid.)  

 

I have just been reading about skeletons recovered / found that date to 16000 years or go (or so +\— 1000 Years) and various lawsuits from indigenous North American tribes. Those that still exist anyways. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

How long does someone need to be dead for it to be considered 'archaeology' and not 'grave robbing'?

 

I think it largely has to do with a combination of time and historical records. Like, if we had extensive documentary evidence of life during the Egyptian golden age, from the Egyptian golden age, I think there'd be more reluctance to dig up those tombs.

 

1 hour ago, Zink said:

 

When the dead's relatives don't complain about it?

 

Also, this.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Crowley said:

This feels like a GTKY question... but I'll bite. Does the civilization still exist in the area the grave is located in? If yes, grave robbing. If no, archaeology. Or maybe... 300+ years?

Some of our English correspondents might actually have an answer to that question.

Seems they are often, quite literally, digging up archaeological remnants when new construction projects are started in areas that have been settled for many  hundreds of years.

GEM

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

How long does someone need to be dead for it to be considered 'archaeology' and not 'grave robbing'?

I always thought the determining factor was wether the things found went to a museum/collector or a pawn shop...

 

6 hours ago, kristof65 said:


This is part of the troubleshooting document that gets sent out to all my customers:
 


but of course, no one reads that document...

My IT group put out a report last year and showed that 42% of their calls were fixed by having the customer restart their computer.  

 

That changed in March...

  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

*barrel rolls through the thread*

What are you doing in a barrel?  You're supposed to put alcohol in such, not pad it with pillows and roll around! :p

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Haha 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WhiteWulfe said:

What are you doing in a barrel?  You're supposed to put alcohol in such, not pad it with pillows and roll around! :p

creates giant waterfall in the middle of the thread, goes over it in barrel*

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rarely a dull moment around here.

 

*passes around popcorn* Anyone want some?

 

 

On a more serious note, I'd like to go back to sleep now.  Sleep is how I will beat this crud.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

creates giant waterfall in the middle of the thread, goes over it in barrel*

Ah, I see you're riding down the great Cheezies / Cheetos river.  Yeah, you'll want the barrel, thar dust gets everywhere, and some say is toxic.  Or doubles as mortar, can't quite remember.... 

  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Ah, I see you're riding down the great Cheezies / Cheetos river.  Yeah, you'll want the barrel, thar dust gets everywhere, and some say is toxic.  Or doubles as mortar, can't quite remember.... 

*pops out of barrel covered in Cheezies dust, looks a lot like @buglips*the*goblin*

  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know, sometimes I really don't understand older people. A guy(we'll call him "Esquire") posted to a friend's Facebook page, asking if he was his SCA persona. One person(we'll call them "A") who also knows my friend reacted to that post with a laugh emoji. Esquire got mad and was demanding to know what was funny about the post. A's husband responded that it was funny because he was asking someone if they were themself. Esquire got even more mad, and asked why anyone would think that was funny while denigrating "the younger generation" over "bad manners." At this point I chimed in that it was no different a situation than if someone were to walk up to Samuel Clemens and ask him if he'd ever read any Mark Twain, and a friend of Clemens had a chuckle at overhearing the question. Which made Esquire even more mad, and compared the situation instead to "when the guy who just bought your company walks in and starts asking for names," implying that he had some kind of power over everyone. He also stated that he was a "powerful and vindictive official," made reference to his term as a PA state representative(in the 80's) and his status in the SCA as being one of the founders of a large local barony(again in the 80's), and told me that "you never know who's desk you may be splayed upon" as if to threaten me. All while also assuming that he knows how I think and act, as well as disparaging every generation that isn't his own.

 

At this point, I make a snarky post about how I bow to his superiority. To which his reply is basically summed up as "I don't claim to be superior to you, but let me list all the ways that I'm superior to you. Bow down before your master." All the while spewing more anti-everyone that isn't a Boomer nonsense.

 

Seriously, the guy went off on a tirade about how every generation after his is terrible, and made some thinly veiled threats in the process, because someone laughed at a humorous situation at his (minor)expense. All it did was reinforce my belief that anyone who uses Esquire as a title in a serious fashion, which this guy did because he ended every one of his posts with it, is a narcissistic broccoli.

 

Also, I learned after the fact that he was the first baron of the barony he helped found, but unlike most other barons I've known the title was not extended to him after his term. (s)I'm left aghast at this shocking revelation.(/s) And people wonder why the SCA is having issues attracting younger members when people like him are not uncommon...

  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Unruly said:

You know, sometimes I really don't understand older people. A guy(we'll call him "Esquire") posted to a friend's Facebook page, asking if he was his SCA persona. One person(we'll call them "A") who also knows my friend reacted to that post with a laugh emoji. Esquire got mad and was demanding to know what was funny about the post. A's husband responded that it was funny because he was asking someone if they were themself. Esquire got even more mad, and asked why anyone would think that was funny while denigrating "the younger generation" over "bad manners." At this point I chimed in that it was no different a situation than if someone were to walk up to Samuel Clemens and ask him if he'd ever read any Mark Twain, and a friend of Clemens had a chuckle at overhearing the question. Which made Esquire even more mad, and compared the situation instead to "when the guy who just bought your company walks in and starts asking for names," implying that he had some kind of power over everyone. He also stated that he was a "powerful and vindictive official," made reference to his term as a PA state representative(in the 80's) and his status in the SCA as being one of the founders of a large local barony(again in the 80's), and told me that "you never know who's desk you may be splayed upon" as if to threaten me. All while also assuming that he knows how I think and act, as well as disparaging every generation that isn't his own.

 

At this point, I make a snarky post about how I bow to his superiority. To which his reply is basically summed up as "I don't claim to be superior to you, but let me list all the ways that I'm superior to you. Bow down before your master." All the while spewing more anti-everyone that isn't a Boomer nonsense.

 

Seriously, the guy went off on a tirade about how every generation after his is terrible, and made some thinly veiled threats in the process, because someone laughed at a humorous situation at his (minor)expense. All it did was reinforce my belief that anyone who uses Esquire as a title in a serious fashion, which this guy did because he ended every one of his posts with it, is a narcissistic broccoli.

 

Also, I learned after the fact that he was the first baron of the barony he helped found, but unlike most other barons I've known the title was not extended to him after his term. (s)I'm left aghast at this shocking revelation.(/s) And people wonder why the SCA is having issues attracting younger members when people like him are not uncommon...

Sounds like you've got an old phart with insecurity issues, and the need for a really good dose of mucilly.

The only proper use of the honorific "Esquire" in the mundane world is by someone who is licensed to practice law.

GEM

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Some of our English correspondents might actually have an answer to that question.

Seems they are often, quite literally, digging up archaeological remnants when new construction projects are started in areas that have been settled for many  hundreds of years.

GEM

 

A guy in my gaming group used to do that here in Pennsylvania.

 

In Los Angeles there's also something similar but it's not 'archaeology', it's 'random ice age animals preserved in tar'.

 

In both cases there's a dude who stands around during breaking ground. The construction company hopes (and sometimes bribes to ensure) there's nothing found. Because if there is something found construction stops while it's all dealt with and the company begins losing piles of money every day. Artifacts/fossils/bones/etc are carefully and quickly cataloged and carted away then construction resumes.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...