Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

5 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

How long does someone need to be dead for it to be considered 'archaeology' and not 'grave robbing'?

I will answer this in the GTKY thread.

2 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

*barrel rolls through the thread*

Wonders what the colourful Wizard is going to do this time..

1 hour ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

creates giant waterfall in the middle of the thread, goes over it in barrel*

Oh no! That can't be good! 

50 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

*pops out of barrel covered in Cheezies dust, looks a lot like @buglips*the*goblin*

Sighs relieved.

He's alright people! 

Move on, nothing to see here...

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

25 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Sounds like you've got an old phart with insecurity issues, and the need for a really good dose of mucilly.

The only proper use of the honorific "Esquire" in the mundane world is by someone who is licensed to practice law.

GEM

Oh, he's a lawyer. That much is certain. But the thing is, none of the lawyers I've ever known who are actually decent people have ever used "Esquire" on anything outside of maybe official documents. And they wouldn't be caught dead using it on Facebook. And I've known a few lawyers. The only ones I've ever seen that use it regularly, like this guy was doing, have been narcissistic jerks.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

WOOF - M.E.O.W. hostilities reached a climax yesterday in my backyard.

A cat decided to take a stroll in our backyard, ( it is enclosed by a high fence) cat ( never saw it before) walked through our garden.

Brutus decided to defend his territory and chased the cat away.

The cat decided to take position on the fence and kept hissing at Brutus who just couldn't reached him.

In the end I gently shoved Brutus aside and nudged the cat off the fence.

I guess after this confrontation he now knows our garden is dog territory.

I hope he will keep his distance.

No harm done to any of them, no injuries.

My dog roams free in his own garden, he didn't bite and just chased it away, accidents can happen though, so I'm not to keen on cats coming in like this.

Lately there is a new cat that visits our front yard, I have used animal friendly cat repellant and it seems to work.

Owners apologized but still let it roam free as most cats do..I want to keep the relationship as good as possible, and I realise only 1% of cat owners keep their little tiger indoors.

So I will not argue again about it, I have told them I didn't like the cat poop and would chase it away.

I have nothing against the cat itself, but he poops in our garden and we don't like that, hence me trying to repell it.

I like to keep it friendly without harming any animal, till now the cat repellant seems to work.

It's granula drenched in oils giving off a scent most cats hate.

There are other neigbours though who breed birds and some have ponds with fish.

I have no idea how they would react if one of their fish/birds got killed.

On top of this, it's just a few hundred meters away from a busy road, cats need to cross that to go into fields or heading back home.

I wouldn't take a risk with my dog to get run over or being chased.

Sometimes I don't understand why someone would accept such risk for their pet.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 11

My kitties are both indoor kitties. Aside from the dangers from cars, there's pests, possums, raccoons, dogs, and other cats. 

Then theres the people. They never did catch the psychopath that was murdering cats and leaving them horrifically displayed around here. Just because they haven't found anymore cats doesn't mean the psychopath stopped.

• Like 5
  • Sad 11

Our cats are indoors critters too, pretty much because of all the reasons that @redambrosia stated. We also have a railway line nearby, so there's no way I'm going to trust my cats to recognise what a train is in time 

I've never understood the attitude of letting the cat out, it'll fend for itself. Then again, I've never understood why some people keep dogs and don't bother walking them. Or people that keep large fish in small tanks.

Edit: That isn't a dig at anyone on the forums, I just don't understand why anyone would get a pet and not bother looking after it properly 

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Unruly said:

You know, sometimes I really don't understand older people. A guy(we'll call him "Esquire") posted to a friend's Facebook page....>snip<

I just don't get people in general.

We have all this super advanced technology that allows for faster, easier communication, and no one is actually able to communicate anymore.

This guy sounds like your standard keyboard warrior/troll.

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

On top of this, it's just a few hundred meters away from a busy road, cats need to cross that to go into fields or heading back home.

I wouldn't take a risk with my dog to get run over or being chased.

Sometimes I don't understand why someone would accept such risk for their pet.

My cats are indoor cats, for most of the same reasons that RedAmbrosia mentions below.

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

My kitties are both indoor kitties. Aside from the dangers from cars, there's pests, possums, raccoons, dogs, and other cats. 

Then theres the people. They never did catch the psychopath that was murdering cats and leaving them horrifically displayed around here. Just because they haven't found anymore cats doesn't mean the psychopath stopped.

Hopefully, he got run over.

By a tank.

• Like 18

30 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Hopefully, he got run over.

By a tank.

I wish I could like this more than once 

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:

I wish I could like this more than once 

Ditto,

I will try to keep cats out of my garden in a friendly way.

Brutus will chase them away, and hopefully this will never go wrong, but my dog is allowed to roam free in his own enclosed garden.

The cat owner does have a responsibility as well, aside from that, Brutus won't resort to biting that fast, he usually just chases them and sometimes bulldozers over them so they flee.

But just killing a cat because it wandered into your garden or something?

That's plain sick, evil and stupid.

I hope most cats have the brains to understand my garden is off limits after a little water/chasing Boxer and unpleasant smell from the granula.

I just can't imagine how these people kick their cats out in the morning with the risk that it doesn't come back due to traffic or accidents.

Let alone some bird owners who might be more violent about it...

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Kuroneko said:

Or people that keep large fish in small tanks.

The following is said in total jest... 

You mean I can't keep an arowana in a 20 gallon long tank?  Or a tang in the same size tank? 

(for those that don't know, the first species mentioned grows to be like 2-3' long easily, and the second is typically recommended for most species to have at least a six foot wide tank because tangs LOVE to swim) 

My "favourite" is people who think betta splendis only need a tiny little tank (because the store keeps them in a cup of water), when in reality they do a lot better in a ten or even twenty gallon tank (a Fluval Spec V also works, due to its length, if well planted).  Just because they've adapted to be able to breathe out of water as a survival mechanism for the dry season doesn't mean they thrive in a small tank.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

The following is said in total jest... 

You mean I can't keep an arowana in a 20 gallon long tank?  Or a tang in the same size tank? 

(for those that don't know, the first species mentioned grows to be like 2-3' long easily, and the second is typically recommended for most species to have at least a six foot wide tank because tangs LOVE to swim) 

My "favourite" is people who think betta splendis only need a tiny little tank (because the store keeps them in a cup of water), when in reality they do a lot better in a ten or even twenty gallon tank (a Fluval Spec V also works, due to its length, if well planted).  Just because they've adapted to be able to breathe out of water as a survival mechanism for the dry season doesn't mean they thrive in a small tank.

I know people who wanted terrapins.

I needed to convince them that NO! Terrapins do NOT adjust to the size of their tank, they just die when they grow and the tank is too small.

Their logic?

But it works for fish!

AGAIN NO!!!!! Fish also die when the tank is too small..

It really took a while before they believed me..

Sometimes people are ...well....let's just say, sometimes having a conversation with my dog makes more sense.

At least he looks like he understands what I'm saying.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 8

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Sighs relieved.

He's alright people! 

Move on, nothing to see here...

Wait...

are we sure that looking like buglips can be defined as "alright"? :lol:

How's everyone doing this morning? Any one have some happy news to share? 

• Haha 10

7 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

How's everyone doing this morning?

Owwwww. Owww. (I can report that prescription Tylenol 3 appears to be useless.)

7 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

Any one have some happy news to share? 

Broken tooth? 

Extracted yesterday..?

Now considerably poorer and hurting....?

So :mellow: not really. 

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

...a conversation with my dog makes more sense.

I have thoroughly enjoyed every conversation I have ever had with a dog. 

I cannot say that as regards people. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 7

8 minutes ago, TGP said:

...a conversation with my dog makes more sense.

I have thoroughly enjoyed every conversation I have ever had with a dog. 

I cannot say that as regards people. 

A dog may not understand but at least he's trying to. A lot of people don't and won't give a little effort on an attempt.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

I've never understood the attitude of letting the cat out, it'll fend for itself. Then again, I've never understood why some people keep dogs and don't bother walking them. Or people that keep large fish in small tanks.

As for the cat thing, there were a series of cats my grandma kept that just sort of showed up in the back yard that she started feeding and eventually took to the vet to get shots etc. They would only tolerate coming into the house for very short periods or if the were sick or hurt. The cats were wild to start with, and mostly continued to be wild. Well except one really lazy dust mop of a cat that eventually decided it really liked being near the wood stove.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Our cats are indoor cats for their own health and safety.

As shown in the picture I posted here Monday, one of them is a little explorer, and occasionally gets to go for a walk outside, but only when accompanied, and secured in a harness, so he can't wander anyplace dangerous.

I will say that my parents had a cat that was allowed to wander the neighborhood on his own. He never got into trouble, or went very far, although we did eventually get complaints that he would break into other houses through their pet doors, and eat their cat food. Apparently he was so greedy that at least one person thought we weren't feeding him ourselves :blink:.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 8