Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

I am beginning to think Megan is right - I am understanding her hatred of the Fire more....

God's above and below, I hope I get my laptop back soon.

Hopefully the new Fire works out for Megan - I tote my laptop around in a backpack. She carries a handbag. Her old netbook was not much larger, when shut, than the Fire.

So, looks like a netbook if the new Fire doesn't do the trick.

The Auld Grump

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Sounds like you've got an old phart with insecurity issues, and the need for a really good dose of mucilly.

The only proper use of the honorific "Esquire" in the mundane world is by someone who is licensed to practice law.

GEM

8 hours ago, Unruly said:

Oh, he's a lawyer. That much is certain. But the thing is, none of the lawyers I've ever known who are actually decent people have ever used "Esquire" on anything outside of maybe official documents. And they wouldn't be caught dead using it on Facebook. And I've known a few lawyers. The only ones I've ever seen that use it regularly, like this guy was doing, have been narcissistic jerks.

Considering the number of jokes that revolve around not saving the lawyer from various fatal situations, I am not really surprised to learn that the lawyer is a jerk.  That he was a politician on top of that is more reason to avoid contact.  This attitude is one of the reasons I never got formally involved with the SCA.  My wife was involved with the barony in Boston, whatever the name was, and there seemed to be three major groups:  the ones like me who came to play but really weren't involved, the ones who did the work behind the scenes and actually kept the group running, and the bullies who wanted the power to laud it over everyone else.  The third group were universally ugly to deal with, insecure and were generally elfs to anyone who didn't have power over them and pure sycophants to those who were above them.  It was pretty disgusting actually.

Fortunately, my wife decided it wasn't that exciting and tired pretty quickly of being a drudge so when we moved we never looked back.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Weird-O said:

So this is a bit concerning...

20190528_211006~2.jpg

mostly it is just terrible overpriced slimfast for tech bros with too much money

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

The following is said in total jest... 

You mean I can't keep an arowana in a 20 gallon long tank?  Or a tang in the same size tank? 

(for those that don't know, the first species mentioned grows to be like 2-3' long easily, and the second is typically recommended for most species to have at least a six foot wide tank because tangs LOVE to swim) 

My "favourite" is people who think betta splendis only need a tiny little tank (because the store keeps them in a cup of water), when in reality they do a lot better in a ten or even twenty gallon tank (a Fluval Spec V also works, due to its length, if well planted).  Just because they've adapted to be able to breathe out of water as a survival mechanism for the dry season doesn't mean they thrive in a small tank.

I had a fair few fish tanks until last year when a house move forced me to give up the hobby. The amount of people that think fish+water+tiny tank= acceptable is truly depressing. 

I had a great aquatic store though, I frequently saw them refuse sales to people that didn't have proper setups or uncycled tanks. I was breeding Discus, Killifish, Red Crystal Shrimp and Malawis at the time and it was the only place I would take my youngsters to sell on. 

I was once (very politely) quizzed by a new staff member about my tank size, ph, kh, tank age and what was already in the tank. I wasn't even buying anything fancy, just some tetras to act as dither fish for the Discus, but the fact that they cared about their stock so much really made a difference to me.

10 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

It really took a while before they believed me..

Sometimes people are ...well....let's just say, sometimes having a conversation with my dog makes more sense.

At least he looks like he understands what I'm saying.

Dogs always seem like they totally agree with you as well. Even if you're talking nonsense :lol: One of our cats will actually have a conversation with you, and gets very irate if you answer back with "uh-huh" and "okay". You have to talk properly to the little Madame.

8 hours ago, kristof65 said:

How's everyone doing this morning? Any one have some happy news to share? 

I started my first proper WIP thread, still feeling pretty chuffed about that. I have slight confidence issues when it comes to my painting.

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/86534-dance-of-death/

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 13
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:

I have slight confidence issues when it comes to my painting.

I know that feeling. 

Thankfully, people around here are really nice to share with. 

22 minutes ago, Weird-O said:

20190528_211006~2.jpg

But does it come in Green? :devil:

• Haha 15

2 hours ago, kristof65 said:

How's everyone doing this morning? Any one have some happy news to share? 

Happy news?? Not sure yet..

I traded my motorcycle for an project jeep yesterday, then found out this morning that he gave me a jump-title title (and he lives 2+ hours away) so now I have to go through the rigamarole of mailing him the title, waiting for him to get it titled in his name and then sending it back to me ... all while hoping that he's honest enough to actually follow through on it..

Because he's got a working motorcycle with a clean title and I've got a not-working jeep without a title at the moment.. 

le sigh..

• Sad 14

51 minutes ago, Weird-O said:

20190528_211006~2.jpg

I spot no green, so we're safe here!

***For now***

• Haha 9
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Unruly said:

You know, sometimes I really don't understand older people.

9 hours ago, Unruly said:

The only ones I've ever seen that use it regularly, like this guy was doing, have been narcissistic jerks.

The problem is poorly age correlated*. I've met narcissistic jerks that were 5 years old, 85 years old, and every age in between. It's not the age, it's the personality.

IME, the vast majority of people in any arbitrarily defined group** are likely to be decent enough and if treated like that, will usually help you out and treat you well. And in every such group, there are likely to be a few that are ... willfully unpleasant. Shockingly enough, they get treated worse than the nice people (which can be a bit self-reinforcing, of course). My general policy with people is to start out nice, then use the winning Iterated Prisoner's Dilemma strategy: tit-for-tat with forgiveness.

At some point though, I go to the first corollary of the Golden Rule: As people treat you, so they wish to be treated. <_<

* Hint: Consider what your reaction would be if a person were to say, in a similar context, "tall people", "fat people", "German people", "Catholic people", ... "West Virginia people"....

**  Except for fans of the Yankees and Red Sox, but then those groups are self-chosen, so not especially arbitrary.  :B):

10 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

A guy in my gaming group used to do that here in Pennsylvania.

In Los Angeles there's also something similar but it's not 'archaeology', it's 'random ice age animals preserved in tar'.

In both cases there's a dude who stands around during breaking ground. The construction company hopes (and sometimes bribes to ensure) there's nothing found. Because if there is something found construction stops while it's all dealt with and the company begins losing piles of money every day. Artifacts/fossils/bones/etc are carefully and quickly cataloged and carted away then construction resumes.

This is a legal requirement in Colorado. The result is that the state is running out of warehouse space for pot sherds that are just like every other pot sherd ever found, crumbled baskets of uninteresting designs, broken spear points that are not in any way special, .... Just because it's old, doesn't mean that it's important.

IMO, the state should be selling that stuff off so that it can be enjoyed by people who haven't seen the same thing thousands of times before. And so that they don't have to pay for two climate-controlled warehouses for stuff that nobody actually gets to see.

• Like 11

Packing is taking up a lot of time! It doesn't help that sometimes my knees or hips decide they want to be on fire. :rolleyes:

I've been feeling blegh about it all but my love took us out on a date last night. That helped a ton! 

We move in 2 weeks!!! AHH

• Like 16

On Monday I had to clean out the robin's nest, it's been officially abandoned at this point. Had to remove the eggs, didn't want them to get putrid in this heat wave that we're getting into. Not everything is bad news, though; I hadn't mentioned it before, but about a month ago I found this guy on the other end of my apartment building:

Spoiler

20190423_114858.thumb.jpg.fdbe1997956dba9bc29517a3d32db801.jpg20190423_114856.thumb.jpg.7934e80d01558781f2b93669bba84d52.jpg20190423_114854.thumb.jpg.85723241a55c695e7e67fb4824d9086c.jpg

It's a house finch, for those who wonder. He had been singing his heart out, and then this happened:

Spoiler

20190423_114913.thumb.jpg.36ab5279c55a05b7ae0e88abb127b641.jpg20190423_114911.thumb.jpg.6948981ad40df3bd69177e75724b817f.jpg

20190423_114914.thumb.jpg.1ae7dc7e22bbaec37aa15143e7ecbe6d.jpg20190423_114915.thumb.jpg.510538c9a72193a0943ad1830669c667.jpg

Long story short, I'm now hearing tiny hungry little cheeps in the juniper right by one of my windows, so there must be a nest there. Both parents fly in and out to feed or to sing. Should be safer, the tree is out of the way of traffic and high enough up that nothing can get to them, though it's on the south side of the building and it's supposed to 31o C today (88o F to you Yanks). Hopefully everything stays good, it's nice to have such colourful singing birds here.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

It's fledgling season at our house.  How can you tell fledglings from adults?  Well...

• Fledglings tend to be scruffier.
  • Fledglings tend to get fed things by an adult.
  • Fledglings tend to follow around and annoy the crap out of an adult.
  • Fledglings tend to do the fledgling dance at an adult (they look at the adult and shake their wings furiously), especially if they believe they're hungry or they're being ignored.
  • Fledglings tend to be dumber than a box of rocks.

There are also sometimes morphological differences.  For example, juvenile northern cardinals have dark beaks while adults have yellow or orange beaks.

So far, we've seen a juvenile cardinal, three juvenile eastern towhees (and one poor exasperated father, no idea where the mother is), at least one juvenile eastern bluebird, a juvenile blue jay, and possibly a juvenile northern flicker.

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

It's fledgling season at our house.  How can you tell fledglings from adults?  Well...

• Fledglings tend to be scruffier.
  • Fledglings tend to get fed things by an adult.
  • Fledglings tend to follow around and annoy the crap out of an adult.
  • Fledglings tend to do the fledgling dance at an adult (they look at the adult and shake their wings furiously), especially if they believe they're hungry or they're being ignored.
  • Fledglings tend to be dumber than a box of rocks.

Sounds about right.

22 minutes ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

There are also sometimes morphological differences.  For example, juvenile northern cardinals have dark beaks while adults have yellow or orange beaks.

So far, we've seen a juvenile cardinal, three juvenile eastern towhees (and one poor exasperated father, no idea where the mother is), at least one juvenile eastern bluebird, a juvenile blue jay, and possibly a juvenile northern flicker.

Oh, you're talking about birds::D:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

37 minutes ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

Fledglings tend to be dumber than a box of rocks.

Mine sure is. I mean, she's super cute, but she's so dumb!

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

Something good? Just had an amazing slice of carrot cake! :wub: Going to a cheese bar tonight for dinner. <redacted>. Getting to see a friend tonight who I don't often get to see. Last night's thunderstorm.IMG_20190527_124727.thumb.jpg.c4333da25d46dc9a94e09f67a33c1b4c.jpg

Silly corgis!

And, obviously, coffee!!

• Like 11
  • Haha 3