Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

2 minutes ago, FaekiasDracon said:

I just seem to have the ability to make lights that are best described as dodgy to turn off in my presence. Seriously if a light has trouble igniting or the ballast is starting to fail, it will usually go out as I approach and will turn back on as I leave the area, though i have seen a few fail catastrophically as I approached. Never had any problems with other electronics, just lighting. Being that I am not a fan of overly bright lights anyway, I've never complained about this quirk. 

It's not a "quirk".

It's a Talent!

The kind that, with our limited understanding of the cosmos, is indistinguishable from Magic.

Along a similar line of thought:

It has been noted many times that light bulbs burn out shortly after a resident of the house has died.

I had the "opportunity" to observe this at close hand in the months after my Father died.

Within 6 months every single incandescent light bulb in the house had to be replaced, some of them multiple times.

I can't explain it, I'm only reporting what I have observed and what has been related to me.

GEM

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wooo I finished a figure tonight! Roan Heartwood is a druid and the dog cleric's former master; he was her animal companion before she was slain by vampires. Lovely character. Everyone adored her and

Delivered by c-section (), 3:59pm May 8, 2019, 7lbs 10oz, 20 inches.    She started out purple, but quickly turned pink.

So, I woke up to terrible news.  A good friend passed away last night during emergency surgery.  I'm pretty gutted, as is everyone who knew him.  Big Tim was the heart of our race track.  He was t

Posted Images

One of the benefits of being in the Merchant Navy is that I am exempt from Jury Service. So I'll probably get called the day I retire.<_<

My wife got called in the mid 1990's for jury service in a smuggling case (aka "VAT fraud" in UK.) It lasted 9 MONTHS. It didn't do either of us any good for peace of mind.

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

My dad's been on three juries. In Los Angeles during the 80s and 90s. They were all gang-related murders.

His biggest complaint was that the jurors got plenty of protection inside the courthouse and all the way to the parking garage. But not inside the parking garage where it's much easier to hang around being nefarious <_<

Still, it got him out of work. Work was more stressful for him at that time :blink:

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

The last jury they tried to put me on involved a Drunk Driving Case.

From my remarks here you can guess how quickly the Defense Attorney moved to have me dismissed.

Now that I actually have the time to serve I am permanently excused due to my medical condition.

Not that they want me on a jury anyway.  I'm way to independent in my thinking and can spot most of the word games, and then explain in terms the other jurors can understand just how the lawyers are trying to play them.  Plus, with my proficiency with Parliamentary Law it would require somebody who is a certified parliamentarian to run a jury room better than me.

Not brag, just the facts sir and mam.

GEM

• Like 5
38 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

One of the benefits of being in the Merchant Navy is that I am exempt from Jury Service. So I'll probably get called the day I retire.<_<

My wife got called in the mid 1990's for jury service in a smuggling case (aka "VAT fraud" in UK.) It lasted 9 MONTHS. It didn't do either of us any good for peace of mind.

I managed to get thrown off 3 jurys in my life.  Apparently being well educated and employed is grounds for ejection from the jury pool.  According to the attorney I wouldn't understand his situation.

Two times.  The third I was a but was a bit of an elfhole and the judge tossed me out with a small fine and an admonition not to do it again.

• Like 6

It just dawned on me as I finished assembly just how much one of the Mantic Abyssal Hellequins looks like a Frazetta painting. Not even the concept art, which was a dead ringer, made me think of Frazetta. I think it's because of the red and gold color scheme they gave it, rather than being darker tones.

• Like 6
On 1/27/2019 at 10:55 AM, TheAuldGrump said:

Don't worry - until you have seen a game of cricket, you will never appreciate just how confused you are - it makes less sense when you watch it.

'And there's the pitch! Followed by three people standing around arguing for fifteen minutes.....'

The Auld Grump - it probably didn't help that Duncan and I started singing The Captains and the Kings while trying to explain it.... ::P:

*EDIT* The only reason that I know anything about cricket is Lord Peter Wimsey of Balliol.

That sounds more like a mixture of baseball and American football. In cricket they have to maintain an average of four overs (24 deliveries) per fifteen minutes...

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Corsair said:

On Jury Duty: my poor wife has wanted to be on a jury for decades [don't ask me why] but everytime they got to her she would be asked her occupation, then her spouses. Once they heard I worked for the Department of Corrections, they couldn't wait to release her. I retired in 2017 so when she got called again, she was excited as she told them I was retired. Then the Defense Attorney asked what from...…..EXCUSED! 

She was really fired up!

Oh wow...  Then again, I suspect being the spouse of someone that was in that line of work for so many years tends to colour their perspective, at least in a judge's eyes.

When I was under 18, I thought it would be cool to be on jury duty.  Then I had to deal with something like sixteen subpoena's over four years for a domestic dispute / assault incident that happened in the condo complex I'm still living in....  Yeaaaaaaah, that suddenly became one of those "are you kidding me?!?!" kind of things, but that's partially because the defendant tried the exact same stunt twice (fire the legal time day of trial).  Second judge wouldn't have a lick of it, basically ordered the (now "fired") law team for the defendant to come back into the courtroom, and straight up asked them how soon they could have the documents for their ex-defendant.  They said about an hour and a half, judge just looks at the room and goes "okay, we're breaking for an early lunch, see you all in an hour and a half".  Sure is hard trying to keep your thoughts straight on record while keeping sentences short for the interpreter to translate things and your ADHD at that time is full blown "not going to let you focus" mode.  Sooo thankful they kept that recording/dictating screen thingy on, because I used the digital VU meters as a focusing tool as well as something to talk slower (and got called on it by the judge too).  Judge seemed happy that I vocalized what EVERYONE in the room was thinking though, when the exact same sexist question (worded just slightly differently every time) was asked for the fifth time and I outright said "Do I really have to answer that?  That's the fifth time they've asked that question".  Judge took a full two seconds to answer and simply motioned to the defendant and said "answer as best as you can".  Prosecutor's jaw dropped for a split second at me doing that...

I still can't believe the guy thought he could take six police officers, and even more so how he thought he could outrun three police cruisers when they already had him cornered...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

A week ago we had that stupidly cold weekend. I keep my orchid in the window even though it doesn't close all the way for maximum sunlight and maximum draftiness.

I thought orchids were tropical plants? Then why did my orchid require murderously cold temps in order to bloom? I don't know anymore if this orchid simply gives no elfs or if I stole it from Mr. Freeze.

orchid.png.0592c6ad95b7207dcecf86c2007f792b.png

It'll be 7 degrees again this week, maybe I'll get more blooms to open?

Weird... Just... weird...

• Like 7
  • Haha 8

So, assembled minis for today...

3 abyssal Hellequins(cavalry)

3 abyssal gargoyles(only wings left detached for painting ease)

3 succubus lurkers

3 abyssal guards

3 abyssal flamebearers(new version)

5 succubi

5 lower abyssals

5 abyssal flamebearers(old version)

6 orc axes

Minis assembled yesterday...

3 Ogre warriors

3 Ogre boomers/shooters

1 Ogre warlock

1 Grokgamok, Ogre chieftain

4 skeleton spearmen

10 Goblin fleabag riders(cavalry)

Total assembled minis for my days off - 58.

My fingers hurt, and they've got plenty of superglue, plastic glue, and some green stuff on them.

1548743747906-334432027.jpg

• Like 15
1 hour ago, NebulousMissy said:

A week ago we had that stupidly cold weekend. I keep my orchid in the window even though it doesn't close all the way for maximum sunlight and maximum draftiness.

I thought orchids were tropical plants? Then why did my orchid require murderously cold temps in order to bloom? I don't know anymore if this orchid simply gives no elfs or if I stole it from Mr. Freeze.

orchid.png.0592c6ad95b7207dcecf86c2007f792b.png

It'll be 7 degrees again this week, maybe I'll get more blooms to open?

Weird... Just... weird..

There are some plants that require a dip in temperature to flower, I used to have an orchid that was the same way. It is weird, because nature. 

--OneBoot :) 

• Like 9

My grandad was on Jury duty as a young man- I can’t remember exactly how old but he hadn’t had my mum yet. Anyway he loved it, I suspect the pay/reimbursement was better back then, his trial was fraud or embezzlement or something and lasted the better part of a year. I’ve never been called, and other than my grandad don’t know anyone who has!

• Like 6

Tonight is going somewhat better. Of course, I've got a house full of (smexy) firefighters, so I suspect that if someone was in the lobby screaming at us they'd get shut down pretty quick. For drunk guys, the firefighters are really nice. 

19 hours ago, Corsair said:

Red, I have fought acid reflux successfully by taking the over the counter Zantac. It works quickly too. I don't know how it would work for you having the baby, I haven't seen any warnings about that. 

PS, don't watch Incredibles 2 until the reflux is better!

Oh, I can't take ranitidine. I get one of those super rare side effects, it makes me hecking depressed. I take omeprazole instead. It's just that sometimes my tummy gets out of control, and being kicked by this feisty lizard doesn't help :lol:

There have been many jokes in our super hero game about acid reflux man :lol: especially when we fought the acid guy!

• Like 8