Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

3 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

why can't managers be more clear about what they want? Like, if you give me clearcut instructions, I have no issue following them. But if you tell me one thing, but mean another, don't be surprised if I don't divine what it is you really want. 

^^^^^^^^^^

THIS!!! So much This^^^

I've spent so long warning people and stressing about things only to be told it's not our problem and I should stop. Then they wait until the poop has been spattered around the room by the fan (not the instant it hits, they still wait longer) and then they tell you what they want and it's ???? Ummm??? Did I not warn you about this? Did I not ask about this? What exactly do you want me to do about the "Not Our Problem" now?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Put up a night-vision trailcam and leave it out for a few nights. You probably also have foxes, hedgehogs and a number of other critters.   

I live next to the woods, and frankly, raccoons is nothing. 

Darn owls hooting all night is a elfed pain....   

I think you missed the part about "major metropolitan area." I literally live in a very big city, no closer than seven miles to the city limits in any direction.

If I put up a trailcam people would get weird about privacy and cameras and stuff.

And I know we have foxes. A friend saw one. And opossums. I startled a juvenile one right on our back deck. And rabbits. The neighbor lets their cat run loose and I found the front half of a rabbit under our porch after I shooed away the fat, purring thing.

No hedgehogs, though.

• Like 8

It seems like the only reason we don't have banana jam is its revolting color.

I cooked up some banana purée with a little sugar the other day, to prep it for banana bread (one of us has a mild allergy which seems alleviated by precooking the bananas).

It seems to have formed pectin the way most fruits do when cooked with sugar, and is basically jam-textured.

But that color, yikes.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

There was a fire inspection at our apartment this morning, at 8 AM. It took less than five minutes.

The inspector came in, pushed the button on the smoke detector, it made a noise, he was happy, and left.

Apparently one of our neighbors had disabled theirs... and then had a grease fire.

And since the detectors are all part of the same system, all of them needed to be checked.

Their smoke detector had been disconnected for months - because they create a lot of smoke while cooking. (If it is the neighbors that I think it might be, then the husband is a professional cook with one of the hotels....)

The Auld Grump - he was in at 8:03, and done by 8:05....

• Like 4
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, Pingo said:

It seems like the only reason we don't have banana jam is its revolting color.

I cooked up some banana purée with a little sugar the other day, to prep it for banana bread (one of us has a mild allergy which seems alleviated by precooking the bananas).

It seems to have formed pectin the way most fruits do when cooked with sugar, and is basically jam-textured.

But that color, yikes.

Picture? :ik_oops:

5 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

the husband is a professional cook with one of the hotels...

If he doesn't know how to manage his smoke, he's not a very good cook. You only need smoke when you're, you know, smoking things. :rolleyes:

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Whoops. too late. Its incorporated into batter in the oven.

Imagine, oh, the grayness of oatmeal, only grayer. Imagine the color of rotting zombie brains.

It's like that.

• Haha 13
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

In my apartment building(which we own collectively) we have a rule...

If you get 3 written warnings the Coop can throw you out and sell your apartment on auction. No reserve. 

No one has ever done anything worthy of a written warning, yet.

Elfing with the smoke detectors would be worthy of one, though. 

In ca rental I'd consider it worthy of an eviction.   

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

There was a fire inspection at our apartment this morning, at 8 AM. It took less than five minutes.

The inspector came in, pushed the button on the smoke detector, it made a noise, he was happy, and left.

Apparently one of our neighbors had disabled theirs... and then had a grease fire.

And since the detectors are all part of the same system, all of them needed to be checked.

Their smoke detector had been disconnected for months - because they create a lot of smoke while cooking. (If it is the neighbors that I think it might be, then the husband is a professional cook with one of the hotels....)

The Auld Grump - he was in at 8:03, and done by 8:05....

Gah, you're suddenly reminding me of a colleague's daughter's house that burned because a renter made some homemade french fries in the kitchen, went to the living room to eat them and... forgot about the now burning oil. There *was* a fire extinguisher, but he couldn't find it (or was now inaccessible because of the fire). They're currently rebuilding and not sure how much of the cost is covered by the insurance money.

P.S. I know where *my* fire extinguisher is (by the kitchen window, near the stove).

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 1
  • Sad 7

One fire extinguisher?

I have a large 6Kg Foam-based in the hallway, just outside my bedroom door, and quite visible when entering the apartment. 

I have a 2Kg Foam extinguisher in a cabinet in my kitchen(mounted on the inside of the door, so it'll never 'disappear' behind something) and a fire blanmket visible on a shelf nearby.  

My 6Kg powder based extinguisher is in the garage. 

(It came with the apartment)

I have chosen foam because unlike powder they do hardly any damage to whatever else is in the room.  

Check the gauge alt least once every year, preferably more often, and if a powder-based one, turn it upside down a couple of times, to stop the powder from clumping up.

The smoke detector that came with my apartment is still up in the ceiling, but the cover has been removed and the 9V battery is gone.

Next to it, though, is the smoke detector that came with my alarm system. 

And not only will the alarm service monitor the battery status, but the detector is pretty much tamper proof. 

Try to disable it and the alarm WILL go off. 

I recommend that everyone take a course in using fire extinguishers, and try to actually put out a fire with one. 

A firefighter that came around to my office to talk fire safety told us that they could usually tell both where the extinguisher was stored and where the fire began, just by folloing the trail of powder.  

(People panic, grab the extinguisher, pull the safety, squeeze the trigger, then run towards the fire, spewing powder or whatever along the route)   

Hold fire drills. And make certain that children know what to do. Small children have been known to hide from the fire in closets or under the bed. 

(Firefighters really hate to be told that there's a child missing and presumed to be inside a burning building. Most often, that child has been overcome by the smoke already, and will not be able to respont to voices, if the flames haven't gotten to her/him already. And it means they will have to go from room to room, checking every little ghideyhole. )

Don't plan just evac routes. Plan for meetup points well out of danger zones. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

I woke up at 2:30 this morning. I haven't been able to go back to sleep. I'm trying to consume caffeine but it's not working fast enough.

To do today:

• DISHES
  • Unpack kitchen
  • Like 4
  • Sad 4

7 hours ago, Pingo said:

We’ve got a raccoon.

Just heard a weird chirping out front in the rain. Looked out in time to see a big roly-poly shadow slip out the front gate and into the neighbor’s foliage.

For those new to the channel, we live in the middle of a major metropolitan area. 

Is that unusual for your metropolitan area? :huh:

Raccoons, skunks, rabbits, etc. are fairly common around here (Medford/Somerville/Cambridge, MA), and far from unheard of across the river in Boston.

You may have to educate me, as I am fairly certain that you are more familiar with my area than I am with yours.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

If he doesn't know how to manage his smoke, he's not a very good cook. You only need smoke when you're, you know, smoking things. :rolleyes:

Damn straight.

It means he lets his oil get dark, and may slop the oil onto his burners rather than draining.

No excuse for it.

More along the lines of 'familiarity breeds contempt' than 'he's a professional, he knows what he's doing!'.

Definitely more of a 'If he' knows what he's doing, then why is he doing it?!'

Mind you, this assumes that it is the people that I think it was, if it isn't... then I have no clue. (But if it was, this is not the first grease fire that they have had.)

Here's a song that is going onto my list - in part to confuse Megan - a rollicking pirate... Country-Western song?

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

More on Miniature Scenery's sloop of war - an unpainted build made by someone other than Mousemuffin - proof that someone other than the designer can build it -

PpQRX65.jpg

And a detail that I had missed before -

wOsmPU4.jpg

And, coming soon - pinnace -

wZHX7DA.png

The Auld Grump - yes, I have pinnace envy....

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 12

15 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Brigid just learned that when Tomathy lies on her back, so you can rub her belly, IT'S A TRAP!

When Sterling rolls over for tummy rubs it's a trap, because he will not get tired of it, and will give you the death glare if you ever stop.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10