Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

Nordic Weasel just published Five Leagues From the Borderlands second edition on wargamevault.  I have to work today instead of reading it.  Curses.

• Like 8

On 6/22/2019 at 10:14 PM, Unruly said:

Star Trek logic - There's a ship adrift in space with obvious severe structural damage including massive hull breaches across multiple decks. Sensors show that the ship may rip itself apart at any minute. Let's send the first officer, second officer, and chief engineer over without space suits!

On a rescue mission against hostile forces? Send the captain, the chief medical officer, and the chief engineer directly into the enemy headquarters with no support!

What could go wrong?

With the way the officers of Starfleet throw themselves into danger without really ordering anyone else to do it, it must be nice to be an enlisted man. Well, at least from TNG onwards. Enlisted redshirts kind of got shafted hard in TOS. Maybe that's why things changed roughly a century later...

promotions all around! 

• Haha 8

Just now, Green Eyed Monster said:

She has not only claimed the box but all of its contents.

Looks like you may have to make succesful Charisma and Diplomacy checks before being allowed to rumage through the boxes contents.

GEM

I made a Strength check instead - picking her up and giving her a good petting. (She was purring the entire time in the box - she is being silly. ::P: ) Unlike Khatt she likes being picked up, draped over one shoulder. Khatt doesn't like being picked up, but does like to sprawl across both shoulders.

And... I have now painted the not-Grell from Dreadmere. Not sure what I will do with it, but I have it. ::P: (I'm lying - I know exactly what I have planned for it. Two somethings - one in The Blight the other for the cops game when/if it starts back up again in the fall. The Blight version is nasty - don't get too close to any mirrors in Castorhage.)

The Auld Grump

• Like 11

13 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Decades ago we had an Orange Tabby that would not stay off the kitchen counters, no matter the level of discipline involved for flagrant infractions.  One afternoon I caught Kitty Tom on the counter and just kept on walking towards the back door, scooping the cat up on the way.  I opened the door and did an underhand toss, straight into the shallow end of the swimming pool that occupied most of the back yard.  Continuing out the door I rescued a now drenched cat from the steps of the pool.  Kitteh was dried off and suitably petted, while getting a talking to.  I never caught that cat on the kitchen counters again.

GEM

Tomathy and Khatt are both good about kitchen counters.

Boxes... different attitudes. Tomathy nests, and if you reach in it means you want to play! Khatt will just let you rummage around him, or get up if you are too annoying.

Khatt is also a lot more patient with Brigid - and is teaching her proper petting behavior.

Strange as it sounds, Tomathy grabbing Brigid's hand was an improvement - she didn't hurt Brigid, and was purring the whole time, according to Megan.

And she is now letting Brigid pet her, so that friendly mauling was her way of saying 'Welcome to the family!'. ::P:  (Brigid used to be more grabby - there is a reason why Tomathy was a bit cautious. Brigid is still grabby, but doesn't grab the kitties any more. Sam, on the other hand, doesn't seem to mind Little Miss Grabby-Hands.)

Tonight I start the alternate summer kids game - having the kids generate themselves in Pathfinder - but not choosing classes, yet. Next week we are having a camp out - and their characters will be Explorer Scouts when they decide to try out the new Dungeons & Dragons ride when the hills they are exploring are covered in a strange mist... Each kid will choose two Merit Badge traits - and will have equipment and skills to go with the traits. (Dain and Ian have both used guns, for example - if they choose the Marksmanship trait then they get to start with a .22 and twenty rounds of ammo. Orienteering means getting a compass and a map. (Surprise, surprise - the map isn't wrong... but it isn't right, either. The hills, streams, ponds, and etc. are there, and some of the town - but the towns will have different names, as well as dwarfs, elves, halflings....)

All the kids starting with a week's worth of freeze dried food and a flashlight with twelve hours of battery life. (If any of the kids take the Electronics merit then they also get a solar powered charger.) Twenty matches, fish hooks and line, one tent per two kids, pencil, paper, etc..)

The Auld Grump

• Like 9

17 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Here we go again..........

20190624_152813.thumb.jpg.9f849312f042a75336be44a8ae0c07a9.jpg

They look about 7-9 days old.  They've got their pin feathers and they look fairly lengthy.  Another 12 days or thereabouts and they should be fledged away.  

• Like 10

I had to re-home my cat. Her behavior was getting worse and worse. No matter what I tried (tinfoil, tape, motion detecting spray cans, scent barriers), she would not stop jumping on the tables and counters. I was having to clean things multiple times a day, she was knocking stuff down, breaking things. The last straw was her getting into the baby's bottles. 

I gave her to some people who will find her a home without a baby. She really did not like the baby. 

I should feel sad about it, but all I feel is relief. There's enough to worry about with Old Cat's peeing problems.

• Like 3
  • Sad 22

13 hours ago, Zink said:

@TheAuldGrump and @PaganMegan, I finally found the Mighty Empires files if you still need them. I have a zipped file that's supposed to have all of them from the games included. Didn't think it was going to take me over a week to dig them up. Between heavy rain and running all over the province I wasn't at the farm for more than a few minutes a couple times all week. 

I would be glad to get them!

Thanks!

Trust me, I am all to familiar with trying to find a specific PDF/Zip file, and the trials thereof. (Been buying PDFs for twenty plus years... around 10,000 files at this point, I think....)

I even perpetrated some of those PDFs... (The typos are mine - but somehow Traykon got his hands on an early draft, with bonus typos. Both of the files under Adventures were mine. Not complaining - he gave them a home. If he hadn't saved them then I wouldn't have them at all, since that that computer's drive went phut! long years ago.)

The Auld Grump - pulling those out for both The Blight and the cops game

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

All the kids starting with a week's worth of freeze dried food and a flashlight with twelve hours of battery life. (If any of the kids take the Electronics merit then they also get a solar powered charger.) Twenty matches, fish hooks and line, one tent per two kids, pencil, paper, etc..)

Sounds like lots of fun. And a reminder that if they're Explorers (Venturers today), they should probably have the ten essentials:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scout_Outdoor_Essentials

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Sounds like lots of fun. And a reminder that if they're Explorers (Venturers today), they should probably have the ten essentials:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scout_Outdoor_Essentials

Excellent! I had been trying to remember what the ten essentials were, from back in my own Scout days.

Duct tape.

How much duct tape to give them?

Shock cord/rope/strong twine is no longer on the list? Fish hooks and line is no longer on the list? Heck - I learned how to trap using fish line when I was a Wolf scout.

Dangit! Now I feel old....

The Auld Grump

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

2 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Excellent! I had been trying to remember what the ten essentials were, from back in my own Scout days.

Duct tape.

How much duct tape to give them?

Shock cord/rope/strong twine is no longer on the list? Fish hooks and line is no longer on the list? Heck - I learned how to trap using fish line when I was a Wolf scout.

Survival bracelets are pretty common in Scouts, so maybe toss in one or two. And some of them have a hook or two and some fishing line in the clasp.

Also, the essentials packets can be pretty small (to the detriment of utility, it must be said). I'd think about asking for a WIS check to see whether the character went for ease of carrying or utility. And maybe a high roll gets a significantly better < something >, like a decent first aid kit or a multi-tool.

2 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Dangit! Now I feel old....

The Auld Grump

Ain't that the truth. <_<

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

It's 35 degrees Celsius here, or for you otherside of the Oceandwellers, it's 250 bullets per glazed donuts a beer!

( 95 Fahrenheit)

Wow, yeah, that's... Pretty toasty, doubly so since I suspect most cities and towns out there have to deal with higher humidity too?

It's 12C and raining here ^_^

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

These are Good Boys!

Of course the W.A.F. are the best boys!

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor dog air force meme

Yup.  Dogs also know how to keep things neat and tidy.  Pilots....  I've seen some of their messes they leave behind after even just a two hour flight!

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Corsair said:

I had the pleasure to work with a lot of K9 units over the years.

MEOW is honored to present this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILCub_IfP80

Awesome!

I love it!

3 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Wow, yeah, that's... Pretty toasty, doubly so since I suspect most cities and towns out there have to deal with higher humidity too?

It's 12C and raining here ^_^

Yup.  Dogs also know how to keep things neat and tidy.  Pilots....  I've seen some of their messes they leave behind after even just a two hour flight!

Yes we do!

This is in percentages.

Where I am it's about 41% humidity.

image.png.887c45626b9b7e0cf00e5e2654ac3274.png

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Yes we do!

This is in percentages.

Where I am it's about 41% humidity.

Yeah, that's a decent amount of humidity to deal with alongside the heat o_o

Meanwhile, over here, people get weirded out when we have a week of almost all rain, because we're so used to the dryness our air typically has (as can be shown by how our spring tends to have an assortment of forest fires about the western provinces) 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

Just now, WhiteWulfe said:

Yeah, that's a decent amount of humidity to deal with alongside the heat o_o

Meanwhile, over here, people get weirded out when we have a week of almost all rain, because we're so used to the dryness our air typically has (as can be shown by how our spring tends to have an assortment of forest fires about the western provinces) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpFuM-CzhwM

• Like 4