Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

The city finally picked up the brush mountain this morning. 

Which has resulted in the Fat Little Birds chirping up a storm ever since as they liked to hide there, and the rabbit seems highly distraught as it was basically his second home. Judging by the frequency and tone, "Chirr-uRP" followed by three sharp chirps seems to be sparrow-speak for "Uprising". I'm tempted to leave some beer out for them, but it's uncertain if that would mellow them out or turn them into a raging drunken mob hellbent on revenge. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 14

2 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

All the kids starting with a week's worth of freeze dried food

I wish I had a week's worth of freeze dried food.

Hmmmm... 

I'm thinking about buying some and not robbing scouts, btw.  They're too far away.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I would be glad to get them!

Thanks!

Trust me, I am all to familiar with trying to find a specific PDF/Zip file, and the trials thereof. (Been buying PDFs for twenty plus years... around 10,000 files at this point, I think....)

I even perpetrated some of those PDFs... (The typos are mine - but somehow Traykon got his hands on an early draft, with bonus typos. Both of the files under Adventures were mine. Not complaining - he gave them a home. If he hadn't saved them then I wouldn't have them at all, since that that computer's drive went phut! long years ago.)

The Auld Grump - pulling those out for both The Blight and the cops game

And you want to know the most embarrassing part? When I opened my mediafire page to upload the zip file I already had the unzipped scans in it. :blush: Must have shared them with somebody years ago because I forgot about it. I uploaded the zipped file anyhow. Here's a link to the folder with all the files including some different versions of the rules. 

Now I'm wanting to make a better set of these for myself. Years ago I printed them on plain paper and used UHU stick to glue them to construction paper. The slid all over and piled up too easily when we used them. Nowadays I use label paper for things like that and stick them either to craft foam sheets or mdf and could even laminate them for durability. I have a few of the pieces from the game and some crappy resin copies I made of them. I'm a lot better at making resin figures now and could probably make my own instead of pirating GW's. Hmm, might add that to my summer hobby list.

Uh oh, Just had visions of doing it all on sheet magnets. I just threw a dead dryer in my junk pile. I could use the sides off it to the stick the tiles to when playing. Magnets in the castles and other pieces as well. Then if I wanted to use it as a campaign aid instead of just a game I could hang the whole thing on the wall next to where we play. That wouldn't even be much more work than just making a set out of paper. I always start with grandiose plans which usually simplify rapidly once I start working on them.

Edit: suppose I should actually include the link. It's one of those days. It's noon and I'm not sure my brain is awake yet. http://www.mediafire.com/folder/ov1i7vg9zaanp/Mighty_Empire

Edited by Zink
  • Like 8

So I learned something new today. My brand new fireproof coveralls are great for sliding down wet, grassy hills. I slipped on pretty steep slope and landed on my butt. Then I just lifted my legs up a bit and slid most of the way down! This was by far the easier method of getting downhill and I got to sit in the shade while the rest of my non slippery associates took a long boring hike down on their feet like normal people. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 17

Diva seems a lot better and has had some anti hairball paste along with her usual medications. She's also now feeling well enough to stop sticking to me like an angry limpet. Going to feed her soon.

DSCN9955.thumb.JPG.85bc586af979fc09d61a8645d3d4d4eb.JPG

3 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

They look about 7-9 days old.  They've got their pin feathers and they look fairly lengthy.  Another 12 days or thereabouts and they should be fledged away.  

I was going to say about 2 weeks to fledging, so great minds think alike :poke:

• Like 14

I’ve heard the recommendation to do something that scares you everyday. So I have. 

I’ve turned off autocorrect.

• Like 6
  • Haha 9

1 minute ago, Pegazus said:

I’ve heard the recommendation to do something that scares you everyday. So I have. 

I’ve turned off autocorrect.

Turning ~ON~ autocorrect would be more of a terrifying experience for me.

GEM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

3 hours ago, Zink said:

And you want to know the most embarrassing part? When I opened my mediafire page to upload the zip file I already had the unzipped scans in it. :blush: Must have shared them with somebody years ago because I forgot about it. I uploaded the zipped file anyhow. Here's a link to the folder with all the files including some different versions of the rules. 

Now I'm wanting to make a better set of these for myself. Years ago I printed them on plain paper and used UHU stick to glue them to construction paper. The slid all over and piled up too easily when we used them. Nowadays I use label paper for things like that and stick them either to craft foam sheets or mdf and could even laminate them for durability. I have a few of the pieces from the game and some crappy resin copies I made of them. I'm a lot better at making resin figures now and could probably make my own instead of pirating GW's. Hmm, might add that to my summer hobby list.

Uh oh, Just had visions of doing it all on sheet magnets. I just threw a dead dryer in my junk pile. I could use the sides off it to the stick the tiles to when playing. Magnets in the castles and other pieces as well. Then if I wanted to use it as a campaign aid instead of just a game I could hang the whole thing on the wall next to where we play. That wouldn't even be much more work than just making a set out of paper. I always start with grandiose plans which usually simplify rapidly once I start working on them.

Edit: suppose I should actually include the link. It's one of those days. It's noon and I'm not sure my brain is awake yet. http://www.mediafire.com/folder/ov1i7vg9zaanp/Mighty_Empire

Aaaarrrgggh! Mediafire Blocked at work. <_<

Magnetizing them doesn't sound like a bad idea.

I was thinking about laminating a bunch for Megan - so dry erase markers can be used on them.

No reason not to do both....

Last night Megan was frustrated with a bit of GM's Block - I suggested that she just do enough for the first scenario or two, and then write more while we are playing the first part.

That's the method I was using for the after school cops game. (A completely different campaign than the one I was working on for the grown ups cop game, when and if I get around to running it. ::P: This lets we yap about it to Megan without spoiling the later game for her.)

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 9

10 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

It's 35 degrees Celsius here, or for you otherside of the Oceandwellers, it's 250 bullets per glazed donuts a beer!

( 95 Fahrenheit)

What kind of glazed donuts? The thicker, more cake-like ones are heavier, so that's gonna throw off your formula a bit.

• Haha 10

11 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

What kind of glazed donuts? The thicker, more cake-like ones are heavier, so that's gonna throw off your formula a bit.

Also, regular or buttermilk?

GEM

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Just got off the phone after talking with the latest South Asian scammer, this time it was "Jerry Watson" from "Paypal". (The auto responder said that my Paypal account had been logged into by somebody in Ohio with an IP address that ended in .849. ::P: For those not up on IP addresses, IPv4, which is what nearly all current IP addresses and definitely this IP address, consists of four two-character base-16 groups, which are usually represented in base-10. The upshot of that is that each group can only go up to 255.)

At any rate, we talked for a while as he tried to get me to log in to his remote-control website. It turns out that a 10-character URL can take more than 10 minutes to type in if the sound quality is poor (this was abysmal), the speaker has a thick accent (this guy would have been difficult to understand face to face) and the person receiving the information is ... willfully obtuse. :poke:

"Type 'J'"

"G..."

"No, J! J!"

"JJ"

"What do you have so far?"

"JOI"

"Now type just N"

"JOIJUSTN"

Continue ad nauseam.

While I was being a jerk to the thief (I have no regrets), I'm still not completely sure what website he actually wanted me to go to. After some research, I suspect it was join <.> zoho <.> in, which is an Indian support service. And I suspect that he wasn't using one of the regular American services, because they're pretty good about putting up "Don't feed the scammer" splash pages for connections from India (recently enhanced).

In the end, after going through the above twice or three times and never getting to the right page (shockingly), I told him I was bored and wasn't going to play any more scammer games with him. 

And while I was writing this, the same bozos called back. This time they decided to hand me from person to person, trying to find somebody who could communicate with this poor benighted would-be victim.

I think this time I actually wore them out. Maybe they won't call back again. Oh how shall I save my Paypal account? :B):

• Haha 16

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

This is why we haven't been back to the moon.

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

On 6/24/2019 at 5:05 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

I am pretty sure that Sare is the root - with other syllables modifying whatever Sare means. (But that could just be long ago etymology lessons adding meaning where none was intended. - though Sare is an archaic English word for rotten wood. Looking for Theil brings up archaic German for 'part' - prettyy sure Megan is more likely to be familiar with the German than the English. Or, hey, it just sounded Elven.)

The Auld Grump

Well, it DOES sound elven! :lol:

I didn't give it much thought past that and making them sound related. So, I created Sare, Saretheil is all Julie.

I LOVE Lady Pixie Moondrip!

• Haha 7