Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

57 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I think this time I actually wore them out. Maybe they won't call back again.

I salute you sir!

You probably saved someone else by eating up their time. 

• Like 8

Just now, kristof65 said:

I salute you sir!

You probably saved someone else by eating up their time. 

That's certainly the hope.

I think these guys were essentially the voice version of script kiddies. They had real trouble handling disruptions to their sales scripts, their sound quality was terrible, and they really made no sense.

On the second call, there was a passage that went something like, "Do you use a phone, computer, or laptop to get to the internet?" "My laptop is a computer!" "So you use a computer or a laptop?"

If I had more respect for them, I might think that the IP address thing was a tacit screen for people who have any computer knowledge. Which might be kind of clever; that way you waste less time with the people who are most likely to call BS. In actual fact, though, I think they really are that clueless.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

I could be getting soooo much painting done. 

But... I kind of bought Division 2 because it was on sale, and I enjoyed the free weekend.  Ahhh, such lovely ways to burn one's week of vacation... 

I swear, I will get some painting done though, and even take pictures so I can update my WIP threads! 

Edit: just... One more... Quest....  Mission... Thing..  Oh look, civilian in distress *runs off again and gets totally off track from what he was doing*

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 5
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

That's certainly the hope.

I think these guys were essentially the voice version of script kiddies. They had real trouble handling disruptions to their sales scripts, their sound quality was terrible, and they really made no sense.

On the second call, there was a passage that went something like, "Do you use a phone, computer, or laptop to get to the internet?" "My laptop is a computer!" "So you use a computer or a laptop?"

If I had more respect for them, I might think that the IP address thing was a tacit screen for people who have any computer knowledge. Which might be kind of clever; that way you waste less time with the people who are most likely to call BS. In actual fact, though, I think they really are that clueless.

You have given them the gift of ~experience~, which as we all know is often what is received when one does not get what they want [which I surmise in this case is a sucker willing to take the bait].

Congratulations on a successful fishing expedition where the fishee has caught the fishor.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
tentacles
  • Like 8

57 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

That'd be my guess as well.

Even if it was an IPv6 address it wouldn't be .849. It could have 849 as 3 digits of the hextet, but it would still be missing a digit. And messing up at all with people that have computer knowledge is, to my experience, even more of an invitation for them to screw with you. Most people that I know of who mess with the scammers are people that have at least some working knowledge. And the ones who do it the best are the ones who are well versed and work IT for a living, because they're the ones who are most likely to have a spare VM laying around and who will both go torturously slow and complete the deal with a sandboxed VM that they let the scammer try to mess with...

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Unruly said:

That'd be my guess as well.

Even if it was an IPv6 address it wouldn't be .849. It could have 849 as 3 digits of the hextet, but it would still be missing a digit. And messing up at all with people that have computer knowledge is, to my experience, even more of an invitation for them to screw with you. Most people that I know of who mess with the scammers are people that have at least some working knowledge. And the ones who do it the best are the ones who are well versed and work IT for a living, because they're the ones who are most likely to have a spare VM laying around and who will both go torturously slow and complete the deal with a sandboxed VM that they let the scammer try to mess with...

I keep thinking about repurposing one of my old laptops purely for scambaiting, but so far it hasn't been worth the trouble.

I usually let my disdain become apparent too quickly to be really effective with an experienced scammer, too. You have to have just the right combination of cluelessness and a real personality to come across as sincere* and it's hard for me to maintain.

* "The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made." Attributed to Hippolyte Jean Giraudoux.

• Like 11

SWMBO and I finally got around to watching Endgame last night. Very enjoyable. And it had been too long since we went to the movies together...

• Like 12

3 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

This is why we haven't been back to the moon.

That and the severe lack of strawberry ice cream at certain, oh, let's call them remote test sites. You don’t know how much disruptions that has caused in the proper reverse engineering of the alien spacesh... uh, never mind.

/Old inside joke of my unacknowledged program coworkers trolling ufo conspiracists

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I usually let my disdain become apparent too quickly to be really effective with an experienced scammer, too. You have to have just the right combination of cluelessness and a real personality to come across as sincere* and it's hard for me to maintain.

I have the same problem. 

The best success I've had was the weekend I was on call, and was in my service call mode.  Without even thinking about it, I mistook the call for someone calling me for tech support, and went into my "we charge for this service, I'll need a credit card number" spiel.  Guy wasn't sure what to do, it was at that point I figured out that I had made a mistake and it was a scammer, and decided to press him hard for a card number if he wanted my help. He asked if I took American Express. I told him "No, get a real card number."   He said hold on, he needed to get a supervisor. Supervisor got on the phone, I told him I'd need a Visa or MasterCard if they wanted my help. Supervisor figured out what happened, and I'm pretty sure the few sharp words I heard before he disconnected were cussing in a foreign language. 

• Haha 15

1 hour ago, Pegazus said:

That and the severe lack of strawberry ice cream at certain, oh, let's call them remote test sites. You don’t know how much disruptions that has caused in the proper reverse engineering of the alien spacesh... uh, never mind.

/Old inside joke of my unacknowledged program coworkers trolling ufo conspiracists

Man, I WISH we had ufos to reverse engineer. Maybe then we'd get off this rock in a real and meaningful capacity. But at the same time it'd mean I'd have to wait even longer for humanity to be wiped off the map.

But I guess that's a small price to pay for warp drives and being able to colonize other planets. Don't like it where you're at? Hop on an interstellar transport and move to an entirely new planet. Then maybe you'll find one you like and you'll stop wishing for human extinction, and only start wishing for genocide towards those planets you left instead!

• Like 6

7 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

This is why we haven't been back to the moon.

NASA couldn't figure it out when people brought in sprinkled donuts and a large lager....

8 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I think this time I actually wore them out. Maybe they won't call back again. Oh how shall I save my Paypal account? :B):

Keep 'em busy and then at the end of it you go...ooohhhh...wait? Paypal?..I don't use that...

2 hours ago, Unruly said:

Man, I WISH we had ufos to reverse engineer. Maybe then we'd get off this rock in a real and meaningful capacity. But at the same time it'd mean I'd have to wait even longer for humanity to be wiped off the map.

But I guess that's a small price to pay for warp drives and being able to colonize other planets. Don't like it where you're at? Hop on an interstellar transport and move to an entirely new planet. Then maybe you'll find one you like and you'll stop wishing for human extinction, and only start wishing for genocide towards those planets you left instead!

Humans...the Space Locusts..

I'm sure the intergalactic community will be thrilled the day we invent something like warp drive.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

While the song is catchy I am trying to figure out when one of the royal eastern European cavalry attacked Scottish or Irish soil...

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Humans...the Space Locusts..

I'm sure the intergalactic community will be thrilled the day we invent something like warp drive.

I'm pretty sure that the obscure quote 'sir, what do we do when there are no more Yops?' covers this.  Anyone else ever read 'With Friends Like These...' by Alan Dean Foster?

Hope everyone is having a good day!

• Like 6

14 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I wish I had a week's worth of freeze dried food.

Hmmmm... 

I'm thinking about buying some and not robbing scouts, btw.  They're too far away.  

Aren't Boy Scouts basically junk food for whatever forest/mountain cryptid is in your area? Do you lure the scouts to the cryptid in exchange for their goodies?

• Like 1
  • Haha 11