Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

14 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Sad news. Just scheduled our 20yo kitty to be put to sleep tomorrow. She’s been in kidney failure for two years, and the vet said that we had kept her in very good health for her to last that long. But she is at the end of what her body can do, with only 5-10% kidney function, and is starting to really suffer. She is my wife’s cat, and she won't be back from Japan for another three weeks so she is devastated, of course. Wife got to see her over FaceTime and I’ll be giving her a morning in the sun. She won’t be moving much, but it is what I can do.

I'm so sorry. :down:

Work is being frustrating. Life is being frustrating. Studying for the CPA is frustrating.

At least in D&D my character got changed by a water Fae, made out with her, got the paladin to make our with her, then we all went swimming... Leaving the rest of the party... Who basically sighed, shrugged, and kept exploring the dream dungeon. 

Thanks guys. 

I think my DM is being too hesitant about just ruling us dead. :rolleyes:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I have an extreme dislike of people who make no effort to understand the limitations of the service industry and demand their service "NOW!"

I can sympathize. 

The credit card industry association, headed by Visa and MC, set out deadlines for merchants to meet specific requirements, which usually entail software and sometimes even hardware upgrades. The manufacturers of the equipment have to have their software ready months ahead of time.  Once they have it ready, they start encouraging their customers to do the upgrade NOW to avoid the rush. 

A good 30% of the merchants will wait until the week before the deadline, and another 10% will wait until their processing gets turned off. 

There was one deadline that was almost a year out that required some expensive hardware upgrades that could take 2-3 weeks to ship, so in order to encourage people to upgrade sooner, rather than later,  I set the upgrade policy to include a $500 rush charge if they waited until the last month. Yep, most of the people who would wait until the week before the deadline ordered theirs the day before the rush charge kicked in.

I've got another one that kicks in August 1st - a free one for most of my customers that I can do remotely with minimal intervention - and I still have 20% I can't complete because I can't get the customers to call me back.   I'm seriously contemplating taking August 1st - 5th off. 

On 6/21/2019 at 2:45 PM, Colonel Kane said:

Now see I would try to work in the phrase speed test into every sentence......

Dang you Kane!

The video I'm working on now is about using a diagnostics function that happens to be called "Test Nodes".

The first 30 seconds of the script has me saying the word Test something like 8 times. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

I think the buzzards here are watching me thinking "old fat guy, BUFFET!"

@Pegazus so sorry about your cat

@LittleBluberry get better!

Thanks, I'm feeling much better now.  We'll see how food goes today, I at least have a new prescription that should help.

Pegazus, my thoughts are with you.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The Auld Grump - we are changing our internet provider this weekend, if gods are willing and the creek don't rise. *EDIT* Going from Spectrum to a local company.

I wish we could change providers. I'd go /back/ to Comcast, that's how bad service out here is. And it's not so much a matter of wanting to switch but there being no Comcast. It's a problem of we have /no other option/. There is ONE company and you either use them or you're screwed and if you don't use them I have no idea how people can live out here because there is no cell service to speak of so if there's an emergency and you have no phone, well, I guess you've got some problems.

• Like 3
  • Sad 7

12 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

I wish we could change providers. I'd go /back/ to Comcast, that's how bad service out here is. And it's not so much a matter of wanting to switch but there being no Comcast. It's a problem of we have /no other option/. There is ONE company and you either use them or you're screwed and if you don't use them I have no idea how people can live out here because there is no cell service to speak of so if there's an emergency and you have no phone, well, I guess you've got some problems.

We have a similar problem.

At least we have a working landline. >.<

• Like 9

27 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

I can't imagine ever wanting to go back to literally the the worst company in america (so rate in 2010 & 2016). 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

STEAM SUMMER SALE!!!!

I like the team names this time.  Well, one of them anyways.  What person puts in basic animals and then TEAM CORGI thinking people will go for anything other than Corgis? :P

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I like the team names this time.  Well, one of them anyways.  What person puts in basic animals and then TEAM CORGI thinking people will go for anything other than Corgis? :P

People who prefer C. Lupus Familiaris to C. Lupus Rattus?

:devil:

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

People who prefer C. Lupus Familiaris to C. Lupus Rattus?

:devil:

IMG_20190623_185104.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Crowley said:

I can't imagine ever wanting to go back to literally the the worst company in america (so rate in 2010 & 2016). 

That's really how bad it is out here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

5 hours ago, Sanael said:

1. We have just finished watching the new Evangelion dub on Netflix. The remastered animation is gah-huh-ORGEOUS. Any qualms I have about the dub (and there are several) are with the translation; the performances are pretty stellar, and the new cast clearly did their research on the previous cast's performances.

Wait. There's a new dub? I saw that Eva was on Netflix now, because it popped up as a recommended title for me, but I had no idea it was a new dub. I kind of figured it was just the same dub from the late 90's/early 2000's that I was used to. Makes me wonder what all they've changed...

Edit: a quick googling tells me they changed a good bit. And that they were probably a bit too literal in their translation. Oh, and that they stripped music from the show for licensing reasons and replaced it with nothing.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 3
  • Sad 3

21 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Joined team WOOF Corgi!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Pegazus said:

Sad news. Just scheduled our 20yo kitty to be put to sleep tomorrow. She’s been in kidney failure for two years, and the vet said that we had kept her in very good health for her to last that long. But she is at the end of what her body can do, with only 5-10% kidney function, and is starting to really suffer. She is my wife’s cat, and she won't be back from Japan for another three weeks so she is devastated, of course. Wife got to see her over FaceTime and I’ll be giving her a morning in the sun. She won’t be moving much, but it is what I can do.

I'm so sorry for your loss Pegazus.

It sounds like you gave her a good cat life.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

55 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

That's really how bad it is out here.

Pretty much sums it up.  I switched my internet from DSL to Comcast because my phone company can't figure out how to get the static off my line and our internet was regularly down.  It's on my to-do list to switch my home phone and ditch the phone company entirely.  They won't do any infrastructure maintenance because "someday" they're going to switch us to fiber.  But it's been years and no fiber so far.  <_< 

• Like 3
  • Sad 4