Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

10 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:
1 hour ago, Crowley said:

I can't imagine ever wanting to go back to literally the the worst company in america (so rate in 2010 & 2016). 

1 hour ago, SparrowMarie said:

That's really how bad it is out here.

Pretty much sums it up.  I switched my internet from DSL to Comcast because my phone company can't figure out how to get the static off my line and our internet was regularly down.  It's on my to-do list to switch my home phone and ditch the phone company entirely.  They won't do any infrastructure maintenance because "someday" they're going to switch us to fiber.  But it's been years and no fiber so far.  <_< 

Yup. We'd /love/ to have Comcast back. :/

Our current provider said we'd have fiber 'within a year' when we moved in. That was ... um... four years ago?

Still no fiber. Thorne homestead is grumpy.

• Like 2
  • Sad 7

1 hour ago, Sylverthorne said:

Yup. We'd /love/ to have Comcast back. :/

Our current provider said we'd have fiber 'within a year' when we moved in. That was ... um... four years ago?

Still no fiber. Thorne homestead is grumpy.

Before we moved to Iowa, I did extensive research on what speeds were available and who the providers were, because I HAVE to have a fairly decent speed in order to do my job these days, and I need the ability to switch providers.  Only looked at places that fell into parameters of having at least two choices and at least a speed of 15Mbps. 

Had it all lined up with CenturyLink to have 20Mbps DSL internet installed the day after we closed on the house and moved in. The day of the install the tech tells me "oops, there are no more ports for bonded pairs available to give you 20Mbps, best I can do is 10Mbps, but that generally runs at 12Mbps."   I was assured that they should have some more ports available soon (which I now realize they meant SoonTM )

Looked into switching to MediaCom, started the setup process to switch to them, only to find out that they have data usage limits that we would exceed unless I pay for their top tier speed package. I'd have way faster speed than I do now (it's like 150Mbps), but it also costs several hundred per month.  

So even though I tried to do all the research I could and having choices, I still got misinformation and empty promises. 

That was over two years ago, still limping along, though to CenturyLink's credit, I am generally getting speeds of 12-15Mbps via my DSL.   We're supposed to be getting fiber soon via CenturyLink, I found out that's why they haven't bothered to add more ports for bonded pair DSL. But at least I know it's not just empty promises - being a small town, people know each other, and we've been charting the progress of the fiber being laid out from Des Moines.   

A couple months ago, MediaCom started a huge blitz in town trying to sign up as many people as possible to 2-3 year contracts with huge discounts for the first year, so I'm thinking they're trying to lock as many people as they can into contracts before CenturyLink rolls out it's new speeds. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Unruly said:

Edit: a quick googling tells me they changed a good bit. And that they were probably a bit too literal in their translation. Oh, and that they stripped music from the show for licensing reasons and replaced it with nothing.

Yep, the translation is denotatively more accurate, but loses a lot of connotation. The sad thing is that the difference is almost meaningless until the last two episodes and the movies, at which point it really lowers the stakes for several characters.

The music wasn't replaced with "nothing," it was just replaced with much less characterful options (Shinji's cassettes), or flat out worse options (closing credits).

As someone who watched Eva when it first came to the States, I think the music and translation choices were not great for this new dub, but I think it won't stop a new generation of Eva fans from developing. Eva is better than no Eva.

• Like 5

We are switching to Redzone.

The bundle we had from Spectrum is expiring, and we only need the internet, not internet, phone, and cable TV.

Free Netflix, and I want to see Stranger Things. :;,;:

• Like 8

6 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Dang you Kane!

The video I'm working on now is about using a diagnostics function that happens to be called "Test Nodes".

The first 30 seconds of the script has me saying the word Test something like 8 times. 

You are most welcome, I am very, speed test, happy I could, speed test, assist you.

• Haha 8

17 minutes ago, Sanael said:

The music wasn't replaced with "nothing," it was just replaced with much less characterful options (Shinji's cassettes), or flat out worse options (closing credits).

From what I was reading they cut the music entirely during the scene where Misato gets Kaji's voicemail.

Oil light kicks on in the work car today, so I take it to our shop to check the oil. It's nearly bone dry. I put oil in it, only to realize after the fact that I'd accidentally put a quart and a half of SAE 30 in it because I didn't pay close enough attention to the bottle. It runs 5w-30. So I then jacked the car up, drained at least that much oil out, and redid it with 5w-30 to fox my mistake. Hopefully the maintemance guys don't find out about that part. But because I had to add oil they should be doing a full oil and filter change tomorrow. Apparently the SOP around here isn't regular oil changes, it's "wait until the car burns up all of its oil and the oil light kicks on, then do the oil change."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I actually have Saturday off, however with the tightening of the financials, means I will not get down to Tulsa, even thought there is a CAV game. Oh well just means I have work to do at home. I doubt we will even go to Aldi's. You will pardon me while I wish it was September.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

My first attempt at shepherd's pie, for the meeting tonight.

Smells like shepherd's pie!

Grump has stuffed peppers in the crockpot.

So we will have a crockpot potluck!

22 hours ago, Pingo said:

BTW:

My daughter is making a web comic: http://comicaurora.com/

Hey, I know Red's art style! :lol:

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

“Mama always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun, but mama; that’s where the fun is”

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Unruly said:

From what I was reading they cut the music entirely during the scene where Misato gets Kaji's voicemail.

Oil light kicks on in the work car today, so I take it to our shop to check the oil. It's nearly bone dry. I put oil in it, only to realize after the fact that I'd accidentally put a quart and a half of SAE 30 in it because I didn't pay close enough attention to the bottle. It runs 5w-30. So I then jacked the car up, drained at least that much oil out, and redid it with 5w-30 to fox my mistake. Hopefully the maintemance guys don't find out about that part. But because I had to add oil they should be doing a full oil and filter change tomorrow. Apparently the SOP around here isn't regular oil changes, it's "wait until the car burns up all of its oil and the oil light kicks on, then do the oil change."

I'll reserve my comments about the maintenance scheduling. :poke:

But fortunately there's no real difference between 30 weight oil and 5w30 in the summer. Now, since the oil probably won't be changed again before next spring, .... :B):

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

“Mama always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun, but mama; that’s where the fun is”

Revved up like a deuce; another runner in the night...

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

BONES 5 announced. Somebody make a hype thread!

I never remember to tune in on Thursdays. 

• Like 6