Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

2 minutes ago, TGP said:
7 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

BONES 5 announced. Somebody make a hype thread!

I never remember to tune in on Thursdays. 

I ended up telling Twitch to remind me; otherwise I'd never remember either. :/

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Sanael said:

Yep, the translation is denotatively more accurate, but loses a lot of connotation. The sad thing is that the difference is almost meaningless until the last two episodes and the movies, at which point it really lowers the stakes for several characters.

The music wasn't replaced with "nothing," it was just replaced with much less characterful options (Shinji's cassettes), or flat out worse options (closing credits).

As someone who watched Eva when it first came to the States, I think the music and translation choices were not great for this new dub, but I think it won't stop a new generation of Eva fans from developing. Eva is better than no Eva.

They also picked voice actors who sound a bit too much like each other leading to some conversations where you can't tell who's talking if you look away. 

• Like 5

All this talk of fiber reminds me when Telus rolled out fiber as a way to try and pre-emptively fight against Shaw's rollout of 1Gbps connections (which they instead settled on 600Mbps, but still)...  My neighbourhood was the first one to get it, although our building isn't getting it because the condo board doesn't want to pay a ton of money to retrofit such into each suite, not to mention deal with the two months of whining tenants and owners will naturally do because their places are ripped apart for the install.  I thought about Telus, but since they don't offer an unlimited bandwidth plan on DSL (well, at least last time I looked) I was more than happy to stay with Shaw - at the time we had 150/15...  Now we have 300/15.  Wish upload was faster, as go back enough years and it was 25Mbps, but for now we live.

As for why the unlimited bandwidth?  It isn't uncommon for the two of us to hit 1.5TB of download in a month...  Two heavy gamers + Netflix 4k (well, 1440p, lol) + digital downloads of games + various other things like photo uploads...  Yeah, you chew through bandwidth caps soooo quickly.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I'll reserve my comments about the maintenance scheduling. :poke:

But fortunately there's no real difference between 30 weight oil and 5w30 in the summer. Now, since the oil probably won't be changed again before next spring, .... :B):

Well, the SAE 30 was also non-detergent. It's probably meant for stuff like our generators. But yea, the maintenance schedule for our vehicles is seemingly nonexistent. It goes hand in hand with how any time we try to tell the maintenance boss that something is wrong with our car he tells us we're imagining things. Then 6 months later he takes our car to run some errands, the thing we've been telling him about happens, and he yells at us because we "never said anything."

• Like 2
  • Sad 7

1 hour ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

BONES 5 announced. Somebody make a hype thread!

SURPRISE!!!

Not......:lol:

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

As for why the unlimited bandwidth?  It isn't uncommon for the two of us to hit 1.5TB of download in a month...  Two heavy gamers + Netflix 4k (well, 1440p, lol) + digital downloads of games + various other things like photo uploads...  Yeah, you chew through bandwidth caps soooo quickly.

RX packets 459829071  bytes 611832109732 (569.8 GiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 272866915  bytes 28467937297 (26.5 GiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

Considering this is on a 12/1 link, and the aggregate of two weeks, I know what you mean.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Given that Google 'personalizes' results these days... ::D:

I know Megan and I can get very different results with the same query on Google - it makes me miss when they were simply sorted by number of references. I don't think the results need to be personalized, at least not for my purposes.

That said - I have never Googled 'Fairy Stick'.... (You know that classic trope where someone is told 'Never open that door/box'? Well, I wouldn't open that door/box....)

The Auld Grump - we are changing our internet provider this weekend, if gods are willing and the creek don't rise. *EDIT* Going from Spectrum to a local company.

You can avoid the "personalization" that is Google's BS excuse for always watching for any new details about your personal life they can monetize by using DuckDuckGo.

GEM

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Unruly said:

Well, the SAE 30 was also non-detergent. It's probably meant for stuff like our generators. But yea, the maintenance schedule for our vehicles is seemingly nonexistent. It goes hand in hand with how any time we try to tell the maintenance boss that something is wrong with our car he tells us we're imagining things. Then 6 months later he takes our car to run some errands, the thing we've been telling him about happens, and he yells at us because we "never said anything."

Start a "maintenance needed" log, perhaps. Written in pen and/or on a computer (email would be best due to timestamps) with the date, time, vehicle identifier (plate, etc.), problem, and name of employee that is documenting it. Pictures if they can be managed.

Not only would there be documentation of the problem(s), and proof that someone DID inform him, but could also potentially protect an employee if irritated blame turns into accusation. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Unruly said:

Had a truck one time with a bad transmission.  It was already missing a couple of gears when it was assigned to me [Freightliner with a ten speed] but they were far enough apart that I could work around them.

I imediately started writing up the bad transmission on my daily maintenance report section of my daily log, putting the copy for maintenance in their pigeon hole and retaining my copy of the triplicate form while submitting one copy to my dispatcher.  As the weeks went by it dropped first one then another gear.  By the time the box was down to 5 gears I had to make a delivery to an area where, for security reasons, my truck hd to be turned over to a government driver who drove it from the line shack across the road from the security check point to the point where it was to be off loaded and return my truck.  The government driver wanted to know how I drove it in the condition it was in and I said with caareful planning on gear changes.  He had managed to loose me another gear and I was down to 3 gears, fortunately the top gear was still working and I was empty so could start in the lowest working gear, and I told my dispatcher I couldn't take the truck out again till it was fixed.

The Maintenance Chief hit the roof because of the unscheduled maintenance surprise till he checked his copies of the tickets writing up the problem going back 2+ months with a record of steadily deteriorating performance.

Might I suggest tht you start documenting all the maintenance problems, even if only in your own department shift logs, including the date and time that the problem was reported to the people responsible for actually maintaining the vehicles?

GEM

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Friday!! Also a long weekend for me; I took Monday off.:winkthumbs:

iffridayhadaface-5ac3d422c064710037fe7329.JPG.b23b4d4d287ac10fcfbc30cc0fb2620e.JPG

• Like 11

Friday could look like this:

my-happy-husky-25399023.png

This isn’t my dog. ^ But I met this dog a couple of months ago....she was even friendlier than the picture indicates. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

We have Monday off (Canuck Day!) but my whole Friday is booked in meetings, in 3 different buildings...  :zombie:  Keeping my eyes on the D&D tonight followed by the 3 day weekend.

• Like 8

I woke up yesterday evening to Baby trying to eat my hand. Earlier in the day she had snuggled into my armpit and tried to eat that. Babies are weird. 

Oh yeah, she slept in her crib all of three days before we had to give that up again. We'll get there eventually. Hopefully. Someday. 

Le sigh. 

Right now the plan for after we move is for me to get a part time gig until Baby is weened. Working full time is wearing me down. I'm looking forward to one day being able to think about hobbying again.

• Like 15
  • Haha 1