Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

Since I took tonight off work and we had to skip last week's D&D game we had a makeup session tonight.

My character, a beardless, outcast, dwarf wizard that acts like a fighter, is now a horribly scarred mess. We got into a fight with some manticores and their handlers in a sewer, thanks to my failed stealth roll, and in the process I started a grease fire that I promptly fell into and couldn't get out of for 5 rounds. I took a whopping 9 damage from actual attacks. The other 30 damage I took was from the fire. Turns out that trying to light a manticore that's standing in a big oil slick on fire is easy, but you should probably make sure you know where the oil slick actually ends before you cast that burning hands. Also, the dice were not kind when I tried to move out of the burning oil, as I kept rolling single digits against a DC 14 save and so kept ending up face first in the fire. And I was wearing scale armor at the time, so lots of hot metal. I've decided that because I took almost my full HP in fire damage from a grease fire, my face is now a burned, melty mess. And my armor is currently partially fused with my burned and blistered torso. I'm like a dwarf Deadpool.

While fighting the manticores, our druid and ranger both decided to leave me and the monk behind while they chased a wounded manticore down the hallway. The monk and I were left alone, in a burning sewer, with an unconscious orphan that the people we just fought were hunting down. I had 3 hp, the monk had 7, and we could hear more enemies approaching, so we decided that we were going to backtrack to a side tunnel that we had found earlier with an illusory wall as its entrance. We had explored it partially before, and so we thought it was safe to take a short rest. We were wrong. The cisterns at the end of the tunnel, which we didn't investigate when we first started down this way because we realized it was taking us in the wrong direction, turned out to be home to a small hydra.

The next thing I know, the monk has left me in the dust by using his drugs* to teleport 60 feet away. So I'm stuck with the unconscious orphan, running as fast as my stubby, burned legs will carry me away from a 3 headed hydra, and trying to find where the druid and ranger had gone to. As soon as I bust out of the illusory wall I'm about 10 feet in front of 2 enemy troops, who start shooting at me while I'm running away. Both would have hit me, but a shield spell blocked one shot, and gave me 1 temporary HP as I'm an Abjuration wizard. The second one hit me and I got extremely lucky, because he rolled a 1 for damage and had a +2 modifier for a total of 3 damage. I had 1 hp left as I rounded the corner, still carrying the unconscious kid, and just kept running. Eventually I caught up to the rest of the party, who had met up with the revenant that we were currently trying to help get his revenge, and we decided that we needed to get out of the sewers ASAP. I also remembered that I had a healing potion, so I used that and got myself up to 8 hp. We put the revenant in front, managed to kill the 2 guys that were chasing me, and started heading out.

When we finally made it out of the sewers, it was to an open bay. We had to jump about 15 feet, and the DM made us roll to see if we could avoid damage. Of course, I rolled a 1 and so I took 3 damage from the fall, putting me down to 5 hp. Because I like to do stuff like this, I also rolled a Con save when I jumped in to see if my character went into shock from being so badly burned and then jumping into cold salt water. I rolled really well on that, though, so was fine. Then we had to swim a couple hundred yards to an island to get away from our pursuers, and I was the only person who managed to make it without difficulty. The druid almost drowned while the ranger and monk struggled. Given how all of them abandoned me at one point or another, I was content to let them drown. Especially the druid, as a few sessions back she actively tried to kill me rather than help me while I was possessed by a Will o' Wisp, and we've had a bit of an antagonistic relationship since.

When we all made it to the island, I ritual cast Leomund's Tiny Hut as far out in the surf on the seaward side as I could, made it the color of the sea to hopefully camouflage it, and we took a much needed long rest. We'd had to fight a total of 19 corrupt city guards/cultists working for the evil guy who wants the orphans dead, and 3 manticores since our last one. Plus run away from the hydra that our DM said was going to be our encounter if we hadn't turned back and ended up in the (totally avoidable if I didn't have two left feet in cement shoes) manticore fight. For a group of 4 level 5 characters, that's some pretty hefty combat.

All told, the session was great! It definitely wasn't a dull one. No one came out of that sewer with more than 11 hp. I had 2 level 1 spell slots remaining, the druid had none, the ranger only had the 2nd level spell slot she keeps reserved for Healing Spirit, and the monk had a single ki point left. Now we have to see if we can actually manage to survive next session as we try to make our way through town to the guy who hired us to help the revenant and protect the kids. Who is the head cultist guy's brother...

*The drug is a weird one. It's highly addictive and it's primary effect is that it gives you a 1d4 bonus to your AC for 10 minutes. The secondary effect is that you roll on the Wild Magic table at the time of ingestion. In the past it has turned the monk blue, popped him into the Astral plane for a round, created a fog cloud, and made all of his hair fall out. It's been entertaining to watch. Tonight it made him go invisible, and it made him teleport.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 9
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Unruly said:

[ ... ] We got into a fight with some manticores and their handlers in a sewer, ...

D&D is weirder / freakier than I remember. I thought Manticora had human heads on their shoulders and no real need of handlers. :huh:

• Like 6

4 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

Sometimes the most effective thing to do is completely lose it and do the angry rant.  Especially if being polite is getting you pushed into things you can't do.  Moms gotta set limits.

I just told her I couldn't do it and left it at that. I called out within the correct timeframe, she cannot force me to work if I've given her notice. 

Just two months, and it won't matter anymore. 

Baby is calm for the moment, and she was blessedly calm while hubby and I watched a movie and I devoured the pizza he brought home from work. I swear that was the best pizza I've ever had. We almost got her to sleep in her crib, but just as I was falling asleep, she woke up. 

• Like 11

45 minutes ago, TGP said:

D&D is weirder / freakier than I remember. I thought Manticora had human heads on their shoulders and no real need of handlers. :huh:

We're up against a guy who considers himself to be the embodiment of the god of death. He has trained manticores as part of his army. They're apparently his version of attack dogs.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, paintybeard said:

OK, basic recipe

For each kilo of cherries you need 500 grams of sugar, 150 ml water, juice and zest of 2 lemons and a cinnamon stick.

1. Put a couple of saucers into the freezer. Roughly chop the cherries. Put into a large pan with the cinnamon stick, broken in half, the lemon zest and juice and 150ml water. Bring gently to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 mins, stirring occasionally, until cherries are softened.
  2. Add the sugar, stir until dissolved, then increase the heat and boil hard for 4-5 mins until the conserve is softly set. To test this, take a saucer from the freezer and spoon a little jam onto it. Push your finger through the jam; if it wrinkles on the surface it is ready. If not, reboil for a few mins more, then test again. Spoon into small clean warm jars, seal and label. Once open, keep in the fridge.

Cherries are low in pectin, so proper jam-making sugar is advised.

Beloved wife says that ritual chanting and somantic components are also required, but these are difficult to describe... and might be rather rude.

Great put this in the Good Eats Thread?

QUESTION for all you Cherry lovers, I love, nay worship cherries..

What is the best way to remove those pits if you want to use the cherries for a pie or something?

Is it just cutting them up and make a mess like I do?

Or is there a better way?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOfTiTsSnM0

• Like 7

11 hours ago, paintybeard said:

We rent a cherry tree. The orchard owner has all the fun of maintaining, netting and watering it. Then we get a "window" of 10 days in mid-July when we can pick all the ripe cherries, any that mature after that belong to the farmer. We've done this for 4 years now and have come home with 40 - 60 lb of cherries each time. We eat ourselves sick and then the beloved wife makes the most wonderful jam; thick as tar and strongly laced with cinnamon.

I netted ours for the first few years, but neither birds nor squirrels ever seemed interested in it (the raccoons and rabbits can’t reach). After a while I didn’t bother.

The worst nonhuman thing we had eating them were nasty little grubworms. They could be detected because any cherries with them inside floated when I rinsed them all in a sink of cold water. I made sure to collect every cherry that year (usually I leave a few) and boiled everything that floated before I threw it away. Once in a while a few more grubworms show up (none at all this year). I’ve never used sprays or pesticides.

The tree is a regular pie cherry grafted on a dwarf rootstock. The roots send up shoots I have to keep under control or we get bushy undergrowth.

34 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

What is the best way to remove those pits if you want to use the cherries for a pie or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOfTiTsSnM0

I use a cherry pitter while listening to podcasts. Put the cherry in the pitter stem end down and it pits with one pinch. Otherwise it always takes me at least two.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

With a pitter I can pit a cup of cherries in about ten minutes (four cups make a pie).

Podcasts are a lifesaver!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Pingo!

I just made lunch, small Turkish Pide ( bread) put in the oven filled them with feta, sundried tomatoes, grilled red bell peppers, a little green peppers, oregano, garlic and olive oil and a little tomato sauce.

They were good and all gone now..

• Like 6

In the Mage: the Ascension game I’m playing in, my (Child of Ether but doesn’t know it yet) PC just acquired a love interest, the de facto leader of the local Hollow Ones. I suspect the mages who waited too long to tell my PC about the Traditions are gonna have problems with this, but I don’t care. True love will prevail!

• Like 8

10 hours ago, redambrosia said:

In other news, Baby has kept me up all day (literally, up and pacing around with her). I haven't eaten since this morning. I'm sore and exhausted. So I told my manager I couldn't work. 

Shes trying to negotiate with me about it. So far I've resisted sending her an angry rant, but I swear if I had to deal with the usual Friday night BS, I would end up telling the guests off and walking out. 

Theres only so much a person can do with no sleep, no food, a splitting headache, and a sore body. 

How do you negotiate calling in sick?!?

I don't feel good, I'm not coming to work. End of discussion.

I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed for you to not only not have a meltdown at your current job, but also to find something a lot better once you've moved.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

Thank you!!  I've got an arcane tome of jam recipes and many batches under my belt, getting the spices is a huge help.  I'm going to guess that it's not Rainier cherries, either.  

A pleasure. Can't remember the breed of cherries, just really dark and sweet.

1483954022_Chelan202016pic201(3).thumb.jpg.c8ad160a39320bb0d85f5b870bae1bb6.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

1483954022_Chelan202016pic201(3).thumb.jpg.c8ad160a39320bb0d85f5b870bae1bb6.jpg

Those look so yummy!

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I use something like this: a gatling gun among cherry pitters!

Olive-Cherry-Pitter-Multiple-Fruit-Remover-Tool-Pit-and-Juice-Container-6-Cherries-Lightweight-Stoner.wdp

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

I’m afraid for me that link leads to an error message.

My pitter is a simple gizmo like a big pair of tweezers with a little cherry-sized bowl with a hole in it to eject pits on one end and a small hollow metal cylinder on the other.

I zap the pits into a small mixing bowl, toss the cherry into a measuring cup, and every once in a while strain the juice from the pit bowl into the cup.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

We really do need a DROOL emotion!

I have painted a bit on my Crusader Bust ( Deus Vult) and my Marielle Twinspar ( Lost World).

Now it is too hot so girl and Brutus are napping, youngest vixen is out working and oldest is at het sportsclub.

I guess I will have to conquer the world again then! ( ok in Total Warhammer II, not for real...yet...)

• Like 5