Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

9 hours ago, Inarah said:

Moth got into the house.

Cats are going nuts. 

The black one's eyes are glowing green and the fat one's eyes are big as saucers. 

Hehehe... I bet they're having a ton of fun!

6 hours ago, TGP said:

D&D is weirder / freakier than I remember. I thought Manticora had human heads on their shoulders and no real need of handlers. :huh:

Human face doesn't come with a human brain. They've got animal intelligence in classic D&D, and a boost to Int. 7 in 5e. So at least in the current edition they can speak. 

I made fried chicken and waffles for breakfast for my bride before she departed for Baltimore for the weekend. Currently trying not to melt. I installed the big AC in the living room, cause it's gonna be really hot, and I've got stuff to do (mostly studying). 

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Pingo said:

I’m afraid for me that link leads to an error message.

Can't find any non-broken links to pictures of the multiple cherry-stoner I use.

And searching "cherry" and "stoner" is leading to some very not-in-front-of-the-children links!

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

What is the best way to remove those pits if you want to use the cherries for a pie or something?

Is it just cutting them up and make a mess like I do?

Or is there a better way?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOfTiTsSnM0

I used a hand held cherry pitter. Looks like a punch tool.  It did not work terribly well, as I had tiny cherries, about the size of a marble and most of them just wanted to go through the hole with the seed.  With big cherries like you get in grocery stores it would be fine.

The cats had a grand time last night.  The moth got into the bathroom and I was able to let it out the window. 

Today look like a good day to stay in and paint. It was 98F yesterday and going to do the same or more today. 

• Like 10

I just checked. The cherry pitter we have is from Westmark.

Our cherry tree grows relatively small, eye-popping lipstick red, highly flavored but tart pie cherries.

We used to have another tree in the back yard that gave larger, darker, sweeter cherries (but with a less intense cherry flavor), but it was in too much shade and eventually died. 

(We were warned that cherry trees do not last long where we are. The one out front was planted 25 years ago and that’s better than we had expected.)

(You need a cherry tree of a different variety close by to pollinate a cherry tree to get cherries. After our back yard tree died I was surprised we still got a full crop of cherries out front. There must be another cherry tree somewhere within a few blocks.)

• Like 10

Mr Flit had another appointment with the orthopedic Dr yesterday. He had more X-rays to see how is broken bone is healing. His bone is in the correct position to heal properly and he won’t need surgery on it. 

• Like 17

My Missus and I will be babysitting today for one of our adopted great nephews! Woohoo! Already 85 degrees F here gonna hit 93 today!

• Like 9

If I could have had vacation, this would have been a great week to have it. Mid 80s the entire week. Really nice weather. Suppose to hit 90 today so the heats coming.

(prob be well into the 90s when I actually go on vacation.......<_<)

Currently 68 & climbing. I need to go prime some minis!!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, paintybeard said:

Can't find any non-broken links to pictures of the multiple cherry-stoner I use.

And searching "cherry" and "stoner" is leading to some very not-in-front-of-the-children links!

I think if you search Amazon or somesuch you'll find the cherry pitter my friend has.  Just a plastic box that holds a bunch of cherries at once and pits them when you shut the lid.  Probably need to get one, the old style will bother my elbow.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Here's a picture of our front garden, which is really lush thanks to the long cold wet spring.

Spoiler

684263929_IMG_2548Frontgardenwebsized.jpg.8a2566c45147bb63aa436d385579d11f.jpg

Left foreground you can see the intensely purple blooms of spiderwort, which I transplanted from a sidewalk weed because it's a beautiful native prairie plant I've been wanting for a long time. Just to the left of it you can see some of our Egyptian walking onions, which do not flower but instead form tiny onion bulbs on the ends of their stalks. When the weight gets too great they sink to the ground and the bulblets take root. To the right you can see the edges of my milkweed patch which regularly attracts monarch butterflies (we get massive numbers of butterflies, despite a postage-stamp-sized garden). In the back right is our dwarf cherry tree after I picked cherries from it. Still plenty more to go. We also have New England asters (won't bloom until September but then will bloom purple until Christmas, about) and goldenrod (I used to pull it up, but then I saw what a lively ecosystem it supported), and not visible because low to the ground but currently blooming sage, arugula, and asculepias, aka butterfly weed. There are also blueberries, but they don't thrive because of our alkaline soil.

Milkweed has the most boring looking beige flowers compared to the flame red of its cousin, butterfly weed.

277503166_IMG_2555milkweedsmall.jpg.511f9af4aa9015fc8d215e7c70db4f07.jpg

• Like 17

6 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

I think if you search Amazon or somesuch you'll find the cherry pitter my friend has.  Just a plastic box that holds a bunch of cherries at once and pits them when you shut the lid.  Probably need to get one, the old style will bother my elbow.

Yes! That's the one. A lot quicker than doing them one at a time, but still quite messy.

After doing 40 lb with that machine last year I was red up to the elbows with cherry juice. While carrying all the stones down to the composter I was worried that people would think I had killed someone.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

13 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Weather's been rather... Uncooperative the past few days here.  So I'm all "okay, let's get groceries!" today....  HAIL accompanied by a thunderstorm.  Okay, maybe I'll go a tad later....  Severe thunderstorm warning and watch!  ....Uhm... Okay...

Warning's gone, but y'know what, I'm taking the hint and just ordered in supper.  On the flipside, it's chicken donairs for supper.  Mmmm, donairs.

We had that a few days ago. We knew there may be a thunderstorm on the way but we weren't expecting the hail with it. Really glad we'd gotten all our running around done that day because, unfortunately, basically no one delivers food out here.

• Like 7

59 minutes ago, Corsair said:

@Glitterwolf how did the trek/run go?

15km march through field and woods, it was fun.

I brought plenty of water and snacks, my fellow men were thankful, since most of them didn't...

• Like 11