Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

Froggy the Great

18 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

*looks up from the couch that he had been laying on* Ummmm........excuse me? Ma'am?

Pez, check on Paradoxical Mouse, she was last seen riding in your pocket!

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Unruly said:

The he went on to yell about how he was at a bar drinking, and then went to dinner at a restaurant, and that I should be happy he ...

... didn't drive drunk and kill 5 people instead of paying his parking fee. What are you, some sort of monster who wants to see him dead? And what about the children?

Don't answer that.

:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

Eldest has been going off to the university pub quiz every now and then.

The other night her team named themselves “CATS II: Electric Mewgaloo,.”

• Like 2
  • Haha 11
  • Confused 2

23 minutes ago, Unruly said:

I know that, scientifically, letting meat marinate for more than an hour or two is pointless. The marinade hardly penetrates the meat, and it won't penetrate any further if it sits longer. In fact, marinating is almost, but not quite, pointless in cooking because of that. It's only really good for imparting salt and a small handful of flavors such as onion and garlic, because they're water soluble and will actually soak into the meat a bit. Everything else just kind of gets on the surface of the meat and goes no further.

But I still marinate. Because it's a psychological thing for me. But if I wanted to be scientific, I'd brine the meat with onion and garlic, which would give pretty much the same effect and be cheaper.

you know, there are other things to marinade with.  a mixture of alcohol, oil, and water provides both the highest levels of flavor extraction and transfer.  using a needle or knife to puncture the meat also provides for additional surface area and more flavor deeper in the meat.

but I will be the first to admit:  there isn't much you can do to flavor a rutabaga, its still going to taste like an overgrown turnip!

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

One of the photography websites that I read regularly had a link today to a music video. From the source, you can probably figure out that it was a very innovative photo shoot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxHK7JfeMTc

If you watch the video, pay attention to exactly what is happening. (The video is a single take with no cuts.) And then watch the interviews and full BTS linked below the video. It's pretty amazing.

And while the music isn't quite a genre that I would normally listen to, I've decided that I really like the song anyway.

• Like 9

Just heard the first summer cicada, a lone critter doing a bit of a buzzy thing for a few minutes before winding down.

I always associated them with the end of summer, the stifling heat of August that lingers into September, and the imminent beginning of the schoolyear.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Pingo said:

Just heard the first summer cicada, a lone critter doing a bit of a buzzy thing for a few minutes before winding down.

I always associated them with the end of summer, the stifling heat of August that lingers into September, and the imminent beginning of the schoolyear.

Ive been hearing squadrons of them for weeks... :upside: ...I hate hearing that noise they make. It means it’s unbearably hot. 

• Like 10

When growing up for me high summer meant Stag beetles, pretty alarming when in flight:

beetles.thumb.jpg.0403d09f554cd78cf1038f31bc161e50.jpg

I haven't seen a stag beetle in at least a decade. I believe that's because fallen trees get cleared away, instead of being left so that beetle larvae have a place to mature.

• Like 8
  • Sad 5

2 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

*flops on the couch. Interview over. Job acquired

Congratulations! 

9 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I've also had Norwegian and Swedish relatives visit the US and saw what they consider "sun-bathing weather". I mean it's usually not actually raining. 

We have a thing in Scotland called "taps aff", which is what happens when we get the tiniest bit of Sun and the temperature goes over 15 degrees C(60F). Multitudes of men (regardless of their body shape) throw caution to the wind and parade around topless with not a care in the world. This being Scotland, the sheer amount of pasty white skin is truly a terrifying thing to behold ::o:

23 hours ago, Zink said:

Cool! She was found about 350 km straight south of where I live. There's one named Scotty that was found about 250 km west of here. I live in prime T rex territory. There was a triceratops skeleton found near my home town when I was a kid.

I grew up next to a beach that has dinosaur foot prints on the rocks, but a triceratops totally beats that ::D:

14 hours ago, TGP said:

DSCN0877.JPG

The body position is fascinating. 

I looked even better in real life (so to speak <_<)

Oddly, there was only two reactions from people seeing her for the first time. One was "OMG! Awesome! So big" and the other was "Huh, I thought it would be bigger"

Some people are just hard to please, I guess :unsure:

• Like 6
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

... didn't drive drunk and kill 5 people instead of paying his parking fee. What are you, some sort of monster who wants to see him dead? And what about the children?

Don't answer that.

:rolleyes:

Oh, no, he still drove. He was drunk when he called me, and it was after he left from the parking space. How do I know he was drunk? Well, he called me multiple times, in different moods each time, and forgot that he'd called before.

But yea, we get that a lot. People will leave their car in a lot overnight after they've been drinking, and good on them for taking a cab or whatever, but they're still expected to pay for their parking. But they'll come back at noon the next day and wonder why their car has multiple expired meter tickets on it.

Oh, and uber passengers are terrible about that. Uber drivers like to think that they're allowed to park in the middle of the street, and when we go up to them to tell them they can't park there, even if it is just to load/unload passengers, because there are actual parking spaces right beside them, their passengers always get angry and break out the "Would you rather I drive home drunk?" No, I'd rather your uber driver not cause an accident by blocking an entire lane of traffic on the main street through town. Because we've seen the accidents happen as cars try to go around them and then the uber driver starts moving again without looking and smacks into them. I even watched one come within inches of hitting a police cruiser.

I wrote that guy a ticket for obstructing traffic during that incident, it got mailed to him because he drove off before I could hand it to him, and he tried to fight it in court. He admitted that he almost hit the cruiser. He admitted that he thought the sheriff's deputy he almost hit was going to pull him over for it, both when the deputy originally got behind him and had to change lanes to go around him and then after he almost hit the deputy, and was surprised when it didn't happen. The judge looked at him and said "The reason you thought you were going to be pulled over was because you knew you were doing something wrong. And then you almost caused an accident. And yet you're still here trying to say that you shouldn't have gotten this ticket?"

That guy probably felt really dumb at that point.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 8
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:

Congratulations! 

We have a thing in Scotland called "taps aff", which is what happens when we get the tiniest bit of Sun and the temperature goes over 15 degrees C(60F). Multitudes of men (regardless of their body shape) throw caution to the wind and parade around topless with not a care in the world. This being Scotland, the sheer amount of pasty white skin is truly a terrifying thing to behold ::o:

I grew up next to a beach that has dinosaur foot prints on the rocks, but a triceratops totally beats that ::D:

I looked even better in real life (so to speak <_<)

Oddly, there was only two reactions from people seeing her for the first time. One was "OMG! Awesome! So big" and the other was "Huh, I thought it would be bigger"

Some people are just hard to please, I guess :unsure:

Which goes a long way to explaining why the Romans built a Great Big Wall where they did.

When you add in the muscle, the teeth are covered in drool, and you are standing in the direct line of attention, She will look ever so much bigger.

GEM

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Just got a call from a scammer using a completely new script (or at least I've never heard it nor seen it on a scambaiting site).

Apparently DirectTV is moving the satellite that serves our area (across the street?) and if we don't do ... something, I didn't get that far ... we'll lose satellite service.

If you're not up on the astrophysics (and traffic management), all of those direct television satellites are in geosynchronous orbit (about 22000 miles/36000 km up) and the sites in those orbits are very closely controlled, since they're very valuable. Ain't no moving going on.

I suspect this would involve the usual sort of "There's a problem that we can only solve if you give us access to your computer" shenanigans, but I will give them props for coming up with a new script for their thievery at least.

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Oh, no, he still drove. He was drunk when he called me, and it was after he left from the parking space. How do I know he was drunk? Well, he called me multiple times, in different moods each time, and forgot that he'd called before.

But yea, we get that a lot. People will leave their car in a lot overnight after they've been drinking, and good on them for taking a cab or whatever, but they're still expected to pay for their parking. But they'll come back at noon the next day and wonder why their car has multiple expired meter tickets on it.

Oh, and uber passengers are terrible about that. Uber drivers like to think that they're allowed to park in the middle of the street, and when we go up to them to tell them they can't park there, even if it is just to load/unload passengers, because there are actual parking spaces right beside them, their passengers always get angry and break out the "Would you rather I drive home drunk?" No, I'd rather your uber driver not cause an accident by blocking an entire lane of traffic on the main street through town. Because we've seen the accidents happen as cars try to go around them and then the uber driver starts moving again without looking and smacks into them. I even watched one come within inches of hitting a police cruiser.

I wrote that guy a ticket for obstructing traffic during that incident, it got mailed to him because he drove off before I could hand it to him, and he tried to fight it in court. He admitted that he almost hit the cruiser. He admitted that he thought the sheriff's deputy he almost hit was going to pull him over for it, both when the deputy originally got behind him and had to change lanes to go around him and then after he almost hit the deputy, and was surprised when it didn't happen. The judge looked at him and said "The reason you thought you were going to be pulled over was because you knew you were doing something wrong. And then you almost caused an accident. And yet you're still here trying to say that you shouldn't have gotten this ticket?"

That guy probably felt really dumb at that point.

I doubt it.

From what you describe I don't think the "defendant" has the mental capacity to connect the dots.

On the drunk from last night, do you have any means to officially report them for drunk driving?

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
tentacles
  • Like 3