Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

Froggy the Great

1 minute ago, Unruly said:

It's a meter post in a parking lot. She backed up more than 2 car lengths from the spot she was in(she'd been ticketed for an unpaid meter 2 hours prior) and hit it.

Why/how was that physically possible ?

Why didn’t a curb stop her rear wheel before the bumper could reach the post? Did she climb over a curb?

• Like 5

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Unruly said:

Nah, you could see the dawning realization of how stupid he was on his face in the courtroom.

I mean, I know his car and his plate and everything, but after the fact it's nearly impossible to do anything with unless there's video evidence that clearly shows him driving and it's obvious from the video that he's impaired in some fashion. DUI is one of those things that has a hard time being prosecuted unless you're caught in the act. Which is why so many DUI wrecks that don't involve injury end up with the drunk running off before the cops show up. When that happens all the drunk has to say if they're picked up soon after, even in as short a time as half an hour later, is that they drank after the wreck. It throws enough doubt into the process that they'll probably get charged with leaving the scene of an accident rather than something DUI related. Because once a person is out of sight, there's no way to prove that they didn't just slam a full bottle of vodka after the wreck but before being found. Any decent DUI lawyer will have a field day with that situation.

Anyone doing something as stupid as drinking after a wreck, or even claiming that here in Norway is going to face charges of 'Obstructing the Police work' or 'Destruction of evidence'. Something like that. 

Also, blood tests taken soon after an accident, then a little while after that will show if he's on a rising or dropping alcohol count. 

Blood-alcohol levels doesn't jump instantly when you drink something.   

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, TGP said:

Why didn’t a curb stop her rear wheel before the bumper could reach the post? Did she climb over a curb?

There's no curb. It's the middle row of an open surface lot. Here's an actual picture of the lot in question, taken from Google Street View. The meter she hit is the one with the red arrow over it. The space she backed out of is where the yellow arrow is. The yellow space is also the last metered spot before it becomes the private lot of the houses in the back there. The metered lot is not actually owned by us, but it's leased from the Methodist Church that's off camera to the left(along with the third row of parking spaces).

455545782_2019-07-2603_13_37.thumb.png.8fc9199160073cf2658189f9b074a79a.png

And I am weak. I remembered I had a 30% off coupon for FGG. I ordered everything, and only after shipping did it hit $110. I was surprised that the coupon worked with the sale.

13 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

Anyone doing something as stupid as drinking after a wreck, or even claiming that here in Norway is going to face charges of 'Obstructing the Police work' or 'Destruction of evidence'. Something like that. 

Also, blood tests taken soon after an accident, then a little while after that will show if he's on a rising or dropping alcohol count. 

Blood-alcohol levels doesn't jump instantly when you drink something.   

The way it works in my state is that the breath test has to be taken after a 20 minute period of uninterrupted observation. And they can refuse the breath test at the expense of an automatic license suspension for a minimum of 45 days up to life. So all they have to do is refuse the test. And we can't force a blood draw, either. Now, if they're in a wreck and taken to the hospital the cops can get a warrant for their medical records of the event to get blood alcohol levels. But that's a different story.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Honestly, I'd be happier with an Open Mic Blues Night. ::P: (Blues and Jazz are too improvisational to really work for karaoke.)

Took all of my money, went down to the track,

Put down all the money on a five to one hack.

Horses started runnin', when the race it was done

Godammit all, my horse had just won!

Got the ain't got nothin' to sing about, everything's copacetic blues.

If you wanna sing the blues, baby, sometimes ya gotta lose...

Me and my lady got into a fight.

A yelling and a screamin' long into the night.

I packed up my bags, to walk out of sight,

My baby done said 'no, you were right'.

Got the ain't got nothin' to sing about, everything's copacetic blues.

If you wanna sing the blues, baby, sometimes ya gotta lose...

The Auld Grump - next up, The White Collar Holler - https://youtu.be/rsDkmVo2fg4

*EDIT* These forums are getting worse and worse at handling links....

AAAAAAAAAH! “The White Collar Holler!!!!!” I LOVE that song!

Always wanted some doo-wop backup singers for it, though. 

Totally BOGGLED a gaming friend when I burst out into it once. He knew it, but thought he was th only one,had no idea I knew it and no idea where I had heard it.

(A high school friend of a college gaming buddy gave me a mix tape from Doctor Demento which included it, many years ago. Said friend went on to work in the publishing industry handling Star Trek novels. This was, of course, years before the internet was anything but Arpanet, so we haf to learn out obscure folk culture the hard way.)

• Like 11
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Bring a chainsaw...

Considering it's an Annabelle themed room and I haven't seen that movie or any other film like that in ages.... I might very well need it. 

Watching a horror movie the day after that as well.. Awfully adventurous for a person who would never normally touch a horror film with a pike. 

Edited by Lord_Ashenwyte
  • Like 9

10 hours ago, Unruly said:
18 hours ago, aku-chan said:

This chicken marinade I've made smells yummy, it's just a shame I didn't read the recipe yesterday though, then I could've left it overnight.

I know that, scientifically, letting meat marinate for more than an hour or two is pointless. The marinade hardly penetrates the meat, and it won't penetrate any further if it sits longer. In fact, marinating is almost, but not quite, pointless in cooking because of that. It's only really good for imparting salt and a small handful of flavors such as onion and garlic, because they're water soluble and will actually soak into the meat a bit. Everything else just kind of gets on the surface of the meat and goes no further.

But I still marinate. Because it's a psychological thing for me. But if I wanted to be scientific, I'd brine the meat with onion and garlic, which would give pretty much the same effect and be cheaper.

I did not know that.

It does explain why the chicken was so tasty despite only marinading for about an hour.

It also formed the basis of a salad I actually managed to get my housemate to eat and like, so it's now a very rare and valuable recipe.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, TGP said:

I know Unruly responded but in a lot general truth:

With determination, panic, and copious amounts of alcohol, nothing is impossible.

I used to assume Photoshop was used in most of those pictures with cars winding up in weird places.  Then I spent 4 years of relatively rural living in the corn belt and I now have a much higher tolerance for belief of the ingenuity of the intoxicated 

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

59 minutes ago, Lord_Ashenwyte said:

Considering it's an Annabelle themed room and I haven't seen that movie or any other film like that in ages.... I might very well need it. 

Watching a horror movie the day after that as well.. Awfully adventurous for a person who would never normally touch a horror film with a pike. 

The key to enjoying horror movies is to look for the comedy in them. For some of them it's easy. Some not so much. The easy thing to do is make fun of the characters for being stupid. 

Also, you could narrate it to yourself as Steve Irwin, pretending the monsters are some fierce critter he's about to give a hug.

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

... This was, of course, years before the internet was anything but Arpanet, so we haf to learn out obscure folk culture the hard way.)

A friend of mine just graduated high school. He and I discuss music pretty frequently, so we often send each other texts that say, "you should listen to (whatever song/artist)."

At one point, I marveled at how easy it was too accomplish this, he seemed confused, and I explained how discovering new music worked "in my day."

A lot of music, it was as "simple" as, "hear it on the radio, go to the record shop, hum* the snippet of guitar riff or line of the chorus that you remember to the clerk, hope the clerk or another customer knows what you're talking about, buy cassette/CD."

One song** in college, now one of my all time favorites, involved a string of long-distance phone calls to various NPR affiliates around the country until I spoke to the producer of a specific segment, to hum the single pass of a guitar riff he had used as an after-break lead-in. Then I found the song on Napster, THEN I went to the local CD Warehouse and bought the album.

... My parents were confused that I needed new prepaid phone cards so quickly that semester. Including the phone calls, the Napster download, and the time it took for CDW to order in the album, it was about a week and a half to drop the CD into my boombox.

My young friend was somewhat flabbergasted, but admitted that he would have done the same thing, had those been the only available means.

*For certain values of "hum," an important qualification to note, as my humming/whistling/singing skills did NOT make this process any easier.

**"Blackbirds," by Erin McKeown. There, now, wasn't that easy?

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Lord_Ashenwyte said:

I will be doing an escape room for the first time soon! Will be interesting.

I have never understood the point of paying money to be placed in a situation where I am not allowed to leave at a time of my choosing...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Unruly said:

I had a guy call me a vulture and cuss me out on Tuesday night because I wrote him a ticket over an hour and a half after his meter expired. The phone call even started out with him saying "I got a ticket a 8:10, but when I parked at 5 I paid until 6:30 so I don't know why you gave me a ticket that quickly." The he went on to yell about how he was at a bar drinking, and then went to dinner at a restaurant, and that I should be happy he spent money at those places("I probably spent $50 or $60 tonight!") and I was a vulture for giving him a ticket so soon.

I know that, scientifically, letting meat marinate for more than an hour or two is pointless. The marinade hardly penetrates the meat, and it won't penetrate any further if it sits longer. In fact, marinating is almost, but not quite, pointless in cooking because of that. It's only really good for imparting salt and a small handful of flavors such as onion and garlic, because they're water soluble and will actually soak into the meat a bit. Everything else just kind of gets on the surface of the meat and goes no further.

But I still marinate. Because it's a psychological thing for me. But if I wanted to be scientific, I'd brine the meat with onion and garlic, which would give pretty much the same effect and be cheaper.

Grump was our official sober person last night.

He also introduced me to brining a few years ago for Thanksgiving.

There are not enough yums in the world to describe the first time you have brined turkey.

Brined chicken, brined pork, both with stuffing and now I know what I want to make for dinner instead of our usual Friday or Saturday game night pizza.

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

IMG_2649.JPG.a8b7bc5e600b18f90538209e7bccf9dd.JPG

I'm not home, and certainly not hiding behind the couch.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6