Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

Froggy the Great

1 hour ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I have never understood the point of paying money to be placed in a situation where I am not allowed to leave at a time of my choosing...

I normally never would do something like this but it's on a friend's birthday party and I don't want to miss it.  

Edited by Lord_Ashenwyte
  • Like 8

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I have never understood the point of paying money to be placed in a situation where I am not allowed to leave at a time of my choosing...

You are trapped by social contract only.  If you were actually trapped it would violate fire regs.

28 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Sounds good.

Lucy should be getting the MRI right about now... 

I hope it goes well.  <hugs>

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, redambrosia said:

The key to enjoying horror movies is to look for the comedy in them. For some of them it's easy. Some not so much.

My brother dragged me to the theater to see Pet Semetary (1989). When Gage got his bounce in the road, the little shoe falling onto the roadway caused me such horrible laughter that I had to sit outside in the lobby for ten minutes before I got over it. I got several dirty looks asI left the theater.

That's probably not the humor you were referring to, but I thought it odd that I managed to tell that story twice this week.

• Haha 6

After several decades of more or less peaceful interactions with the arachnid community, we have had a bit of an incident.  Specifically, there was a Black Widow in my shoe this morning, whose dying act was to envenom my little toe.  Might not have even been voluntary on her part, there isn't a lot of room in the small toe of a Vibram (silly lookin' foot gloves for the uninitiated).  Black Widows won't normally bite defensively, and I can tell why - the pain doesn't really start for several minutes, by which time the poor crumpled thing had long since shuffled off her mortal coil.  As a bonus, the medical sites generally give a 12-36 hour time frame before the pain and swelling stop getting worse.  Mine seems to have stabilized, but dear sweet merciless Bastet did it sting for the first 5 or 6 hours.  Would not recommend, won't be buying again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5jv9RfcOqY

• Sad 19

1 minute ago, kitchen_wolf said:

After several decades of more or less peaceful interactions with the arachnid community, we have had a bit of an incident.  Specifically, there was a Black Widow in my shoe this morning, whose dying act was to envenom my little toe.  Might not have even been voluntary on her part, there isn't a lot of room in the small toe of a Vibram (silly lookin' foot gloves for the uninitiated).  Black Widows won't normally bite defensively, and I can tell why - the pain doesn't really start for several minutes, by which time the poor crumpled thing had long since shuffled off her mortal coil.  As a bonus, the medical sites generally give a 12-36 hour time frame before the pain and swelling stop getting worse.  Mine seems to have stabilized, but dear sweet merciless Bastet did it sting for the first 5 or 6 hours.  Would not recommend, won't be buying again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5jv9RfcOqY

I take it you got safely to a hospital to have it treated?

• Like 8

One of the FLGSs here is doing a geek garage sale in two weeks.  I'm really tempted to participate and use this as an excuse to try to get rid of stuff I've collected, especially from Kickstarters.  I'll have to discuss with my wife and possibly one of my friends.  Maybe tomorrow.

The one downside is that goods are sold for store credit at said FLGS rather than cash but... we all know I'll spend money there sooner or later anyway.  (I'd spend a lot more money there if they still carried BattleTech minis but we can't have everything.)

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

As was said, you're not actually locked in. You can leave at any time, it's just that doing so in the correct manner is how you win the puzzle.

Also, experience with video game RPGs(talking about older ones with lots of puzzles and the need to pick up and use objects in weird ways) will help you IMMENSELY. Escape rooms are basically a live-action version of those RPGs.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Weird-O said:

As was said, you're not actually locked in. You can leave at any time, it's just that doing so in the correct manner is how you win the puzzle.

Also, experience with video game RPGs(talking about older ones with lots of puzzles and the need to pick up and use objects in weird ways) will help you IMMENSELY. Escape rooms are basically a live-action version of those RPGs.

The thing is that you get more out of it if you are BAD at those sorts of puzzles.

Being locked in with someone that solves inside of five minutes makes it feel like a ripoff.

• Like 7