Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

Froggy the Great

6 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Why are people so dumb <_<

Person: I need a room.

Me: I'm sorry, we're sold out :unsure:

Person: can you make an exception? 

Me: :wacko: wtf

Like, the rooms are sold. There's no exceptions to be made. I'm sorry you don't have a place to sleep, but maybe you should consider making a reservation ahead of time. This is the middle of summer, along a major travel corridor, we sell out a lot. 

Ugh!

I don't know if you should take that one So hard, sold out has different meanings and the person could have hit a few of those

- some properties hold 10% of their rooms for platinum level drop ins

- if you're desperate enough you'll take a room with a broken AC or shower

- a reservation might not have shown up and you know they aren't coming but it isn't official yet

-you may have a wing or floor out for updating and not available on the booking software

I've done all of these in the past when it's 3 in the morning and I need to stop or risk becoming a road hazard.  When you're travelling you may be trying to get somewhere and not know where your going to stop for the night, or you may not have the ability to make a reservation. (Bad credit, running from an abusive partner, trouble at work, etc)

You're probably right in your assessment and they were just trying to be spontaneous, but sometimes life just doesn't permit the easy solution.

I'll stop being a stick in the mud now...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

How are people ever clever enough to get out of bed in the morning? Same question asked another way...

:rock:

Like, the rooms are sold. There's no exceptions to be made. I'm sorry you don't have a place to sleep, but maybe you should consider making a reservation ahead of time. This is the middle of summer, along a major travel corridor, we sell out a lot. 

Ugh!

Have you spotted what Pezler’s new job is?

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

I'll stop being a stick in the mud now...

Oh, no worries. I get all that stuff. Though, in the case of my property, I would get fired if I sold a room that was dirty or had maintenance issues. And I understand that sometimes it's not possible to stop and make reservation. 

Its just. Ugh. I get so many people coming in in the summer just utterly shocked that we have no rooms available. Like they think they're the only people who've ever thought of traveling. It's annoying. 

16 minutes ago, TGP said:

Have you spotted what Pezler’s new job is?

I have. And while I'm glad for him to have a job, he has my deepest condolences for the sheer about of stupid he's about to be exposed to.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Well as it happens, yes I do.

I'll be travelling across the Canadian Rocky Mountains Sunday on my way to Alberta for a family visit. ^_^

Safe travels!

59 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Ugh!

Aw, come on. We all know about the extra special room that you guys hold out for VIPs.::P:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

If you want to snag one of the 'out of order' rooms with bad AC or whatever, you don't say 'can you make an exception', you ask if they have an 'out of order room' that can be used(and make clear that the only requirement you have is a clean bed), or if there's a chance that a 'reservation may open up'. 

And you ask POLITELY. 

Don't bring your luggage in with you if the hotel looks busy. ot only is there's a good chance that there's no rooms, so you have to carry it back out again, but it's kind of presumptious really, to bring it. it states 'I will get a room, you just watch'. 

The person behind the counter is the one who knows if a room can be released, and is the one to decide whether or not you can have it. 

Should they wait another half hour for the no-show that at least had the foresight to reserve, or should they give the room to someone who just showed up?  

Since hotel staff experience rude guests way too often, being polite may be the tipping point. 

And in the case of rooms in the 'off chart' wings, the person behind the desk may have to explain him/herself to the hotel manager afterwards. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

Since hotel staff experience rude guests way too often, being polite may be the tipping point. 

I can say that being polite is ten thousand percent the tipping point. The ruder you are to me, the less likely you are to get what you want. 

Example of differences: had a guy the other day being an arse to me about getting a certain room type. He didn't get what he wanted, because as soon as he started acting that way I stopped caring. While tonight I had this (very stressed) couple come in late. The price they thought they were getting for their room was not what they thought, because they misunderstood their email (it didn't add in taxes). But they were polite. So guess what? I lowered their rate to match what they thought they'd be paying. 

Treating people like humans makes a big difference.

• Like 16

Well, Lucy has a mass on the brain lining. There was a lot of fluid around it. We're waiting on the results of the spinal tap. We picked Lucy up and with the diuretic and the steroid she was already looking tons better. No circling, no pressing herself into corners, more bouncy... The next step is to talk to an oncologist. At least we have an answer. I'm kind of curious if her hearing and vision loss that's been slowly happening is related, or if it's just cause she's older. 

Today we're off to NJ to visit Karrie's cousin, with the rest of her family joining us from Long Island. 

• Sad 21

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Ugh!

A typical example of today's Public Schools graduate.

GEM

And NO, no purple intended.

• Like 9

Many years back when the kids were little we use to do hotel stays on the fly, no reservations (oddly, ReaperCon changed my mind in regards to doing that). Anyways, we were near Astoria, OR on vacation & it was getting late, like 9 to 10 pm late & we were on Highway 101 driving when we started seeing hotels. It took us like 3 or 4 stops before we found something to stay in for that night. I wasn't rude when asking for a room, knowing I wouldn't have good odds, as it was early August when we were over there. The people at the hotel kindly said "sorry, we don't have anything available" & excepted that again knowing the time of the day (or night in this case) & knowing we were still in summer months of travel.

The place we did get was kinda out of the way but it had a bed big enough for the 4 of us & we had a roof over our heads for the night.

• Like 9

There is a trope in fantasy literature called "A Wizard Did It."

It means "anything weird and inexplicable in any fantasy setting is the result of wizards messing around. Magic!"

This is how you get owlbears, among other things. More than one fantasy author has given us housecats with wings. I am glad cats don't have wings, because they could pee in even more places that I don't want them to.

And then there's this.

67156074_483404445756469_5235131316357300224_n.thumb.jpg.470f995e7930c710e1500160a35d5827.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 16

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Ugh!

4 hours ago, redambrosia said:

I have. And while I'm glad for him to have a job, he has my deepest condolences for the sheer about of stupid he's about to be exposed to.

I will be having all of the joys that you've had. Not to worry, I was customer service for AT&T Wireless for over 5 years, so I have tough skin.

1 hour ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

There is a trope in fantasy literature called "A Wizard Did It."

It means "anything weird and inexplicable in any fantasy setting is the result of wizards messing around. Magic!"

This is how you get owlbears, among other things. More than one fantasy author has given us housecats with wings. I am glad cats don't have wings, because they could pee in even more places that I don't want them to.

And then there's this.

67156074_483404445756469_5235131316357300224_n.thumb.jpg.470f995e7930c710e1500160a35d5827.jpg

Let the record show that in canon Pezler the Polychromatic has never done any transmogrifying on animals. I have all of my friends (you guys) for that. :devil:

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

SMACKS head!!!

So yesterday I was at  "other town's" game store looking for the Wizkids Bone Devil. I didn't find it so afterwards in the car I placed a ebay order for it. Now I paid a little over retail for it (the seller had free shipping but the mini was almost double retail cost) + I had a ebay bucks coupon that dropped it to a little over retail. Anyways, I used that seller due to they had the quickest estimate to me (next Tuesday). Looking through my mini stashes, I find this:

03745_p_1_ks.jpg

Bone Devil

It's the Dark Heaven metal one (3745) there is a Bones one but he suffers from "thin limb syndrome". I now recall snagging him out of the Boneyard bins a couple years ago. Included were the Bones wings. I recall swapping out the wings for the Bones version due to I could use the weight in my melt bucket & it wouldn't affect the figure's looks...

Sigh, I really need to go through my stashes & get them organized. Something I told myself I was going to do over my 2 week vacation but never got around to doing.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Well as it happens, yes I do.

I'll be travelling across the Canadian Rocky Mountains Sunday on my way to Alberta for a family visit. ^_^

Oooooh, the rockies.  And you're going through the nicer looking part too, since I'm guessing you're bound for Southern Alberta. 

One of these days I'll actually make it to Banff.  Closest I've made it is out in the boonies around Cochrane (for the 2006 Cochrane Rally of the Ranchlands). 

May the trip be a safe one! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1