Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

Froggy the Great

What qualifies as spicy varies regionally. The Thai place in the food court in CO had spice levels 1-5, plus "Thai Spicy". A hella white friend kinda had to prove to them that he wanted Thai Spicy by downing a few raw chili peppers. Then they believed him. A 5 was legitimately very spicy already, and I tended to get a 3 for Fun Spicy.

Ordered a "spicy" thing in New Jersey at a Chinese restaurant, and I think a black pepper shaker might have been waved over it once. Pretty sure they gave up on making stuff spicy there. It made me sad.

• Like 10

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a deli right down the road from me that carries a Trinidad moruga pepper cheddar cheese. They have a BIG sign on the case warning people that it's extremely hot and telling them to ask to try a slice before they buy it, because I guess they had complaints about it being too hot and people wanting refunds. They almost wouldn't sell it to me without trying a piece first, and an "I know what I'm doing" from me just made them push me to try it first even harder. It was only after I explained to them that I grew my own ghost peppers that they went "oh, you really do know what you're doing" and sold it to me without me sampling it first.

It was delicious. Had to slice it super thin, though, because wow. I know my ghost peppers didn't top the scale by any means, but WOW. We're talking millimeter slices. It really packed a punch.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 10

Here's something interesting that happened at work last week: Someone forgot their lunchbox when they moved one of our underground mining loaders out of the garage.

This is one of our "small" loaders (27 tonnes):

Spoiler

CM20180327-51479-26996?$cc-g$

This is the lunchbox (with lunch):

Spoiler

38Uj6Bs.jpg

The brand on the lid says: STRONGBOX. :blink:

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Haha 17

27 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

Here's something interesting that happened at work last week: Someone forgot their lunchbox when they moved one of our underground mining loaders out of the garage.

This is one of out "small" loaders (27 tonnes):

Hide contents

CM20180327-51479-26996?$cc-g$

This is the lunchbox (with lunch):

Hide contents

38Uj6Bs.jpg

The brand on the lid says: STRONGBOX. :blink:

Evidently, Not Strong Enough.

GEM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

32 minutes ago, Unruly said:

There's a deli right down the road from me that carries a Trinidad moruga pepper cheddar cheese. They have a BIG sign on the case warning people that it's extremely hot and telling them to ask to try a slice before they buy it, because I guess they had complaints about it being too hot and people wanting refunds. They almost wouldn't sell it to me without trying a piece first, and an "I know what I'm doing" from me just made them push me to try it first even harder. It was only after I explained to them that I grew my own ghost peppers that they went "oh, you really do know what you're doing" and sold it to me without me sampling it first.

It was delicious. Had to slice it super thin, though, because wow. I know my ghost peppers didn't top the scale by any means, but WOW. We're talking millimeter slices. It really packed a punch.

Tried Carolina Reaper?

We have some habanero, ghost, and reaper sauces here. Usually just want like... a sliver of a bit on a corn chip. Or a drop in a pot of chili.

We had it out at D&D. Sir Cyr was having wee bits on chips. The other guys wimped out. I uhh... made a point to them. Dungeon Master isn't going to let a bit of pepper sauce stop her, right? I tried to get just a drop on a corn chip. It became a BIG drop and got on my fingers. I licked off my fingers and downed the crazy spicy chip. They looked at me like I was crazy (I was).

Was fine until a minute later at which point my lips were on fire and I started crying and tearing up. Still was talking enough to DM between gasps. Hah.

Not my favorite spice at all, but watching them? Yeah. Worth it. I think I'll do it again but a drop of the sauce in vodka before I toss a red dragon at them. :devil:

• Haha 13

1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

What qualifies as spicy varies regionally. The Thai place in the food court in CO had spice levels 1-5, plus "Thai Spicy". A hella white friend kinda had to prove to them that he wanted Thai Spicy by downing a few raw chili peppers. Then they believed him. A 5 was legitimately very spicy already, and I tended to get a 3 for Fun Spicy.

Ordered a "spicy" thing in New Jersey at a Chinese restaurant, and I think a black pepper shaker might have been waved over it once. Pretty sure they gave up on making stuff spicy there. It made me sad.

Spice is kind of random strength here. 

Sometimes even within the same restaurant from day to day. But it is usually stronger if the person ordering isn't white. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Cyradis said:

You can say that again. Canadian spice levels are pitifully low.

I just made myself some 4 out of 5 hot peppers rating chicken wings with sauce, and I couldn't even feel any spiciness at all. Then again, people think I'm a freak as my tolerance (compared to the average Canadian) is pretty high.

For reference, I can eat *and* enjoy bird eye chili peppers whole, rated at 100,000 scoville. I *can* eat habanero peppers whole (rated up to 350,000 scoville), and enjoy the taste, and even tolerate the burn, but my stomach wants to explode. Same for ghost peppers.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Spice is kind of random strength here. 

Sometimes even within the same restaurant from day to day. But it is usually stronger if the person ordering isn't white. 

This reminds me of a Thai place the wife talks about.  The owner's wife did the cooking, and when she was in a bad mood the spice levels might vary a bit.  So her office eventually learned to ask how the wife was feeling that day before they determined how spicy they wanted their lunch.

My own tolerance is what I consider pretty high...Not ghost pepper or habenero high, although I have had some tasty ketchup (the only ketchup I add to something), mustard, and barbeque sauce with habenero in it.  I had a pepper sauce made with habenero, and I used it like I normally would (i.e.: cover what I was eating in it) and boy did it hurt.  I found out that I could only use about six drops of that on whatever I was eating and still enjoy my meal.  That's also when I found I didn't particularly enjoy the flavor of habenero like I do tabasco or piquin and arbol (Cholula).

• Like 10

Set the printer up today, it's a nice printer but I'm not getting any color. I followed the Start here guide & it shows to only use the black ink bottle to do the ink charging & then later tells you to "now do the other bottles, following steps 1 thru 6 bla bla." I'm thinking you need to charge it with every color before doing everything else. 

I can't find anything in printer's LCD or on Epson's website so I've sent a request for help. Hopefully, this gets resolved quickly. I've decided to try making/printing out custom paper minis (aka Paizo pawn style) for my "City that Dripped Blood" game on Weds nights. I've got 2 unique creatures in that game, I just can't or not enough time to replicate with other minis.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, strawhat said:

This reminds me of a Thai place the wife talks about.  The owner's wife did the cooking, and when she was in a bad mood the spice levels might vary a bit.  So her office eventually learned to ask how the wife was feeling that day before they determined how spicy they wanted their lunch.

My own tolerance is what I consider pretty high...Not ghost pepper or habenero high, although I have had some tasty ketchup (the only ketchup I add to something), mustard, and barbeque sauce with habenero in it.  I had a pepper sauce made with habenero, and I used it like I normally would (i.e.: cover what I was eating in it) and boy did it hurt.  I found out that I could only use about six drops of that on whatever I was eating and still enjoy my meal.  That's also when I found I didn't particularly enjoy the flavor of habenero like I do tabasco or piquin and arbol (Cholula).

Cholula's my go to, El Yucateco kutbilik has an interesting taste, but is a little too hot for me on most things.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, haldir said:

Set the printer up today, it's a nice printer but I'm not getting any color. I followed the Start here guide & it shows to only use the black ink bottle to do the ink charging & then later tells you to "now do the other bottles, following steps 1 thru 6 bla bla." I'm thinking you need to charge it with every color before doing everything else. 

I can't find anything in printer's LCD or on Epson's website so I've sent a request for help. Hopefully, this gets resolved quickly. I've decided to try making/printing out custom paper minis (aka Paizo pawn style) for my "City that Dripped Blood" game on Weds nights. I've got 2 unique creatures in that game, I just can't or not enough time to replicate with other minis.

did you check for the little blue piece of tape over the connectors on the refill?  I can not tell you how many times that has caused me to spend many frustrating hours yelling at a printer...

• Like 6

Oh yah every piece taken care of. The only one I didn't see initially was the one that was holding the ink cover. Which surprised me since only way that one comes up if you have the scanner/top of the printer up & that had 2 pieces holding it down.

Hopefully they can figure something out. I will admit this is the first printer I got that connected via wifi the first time!! 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

On the last day of that trip, we went out to lunch at a "Mexican" restaurant in Bessemer City, NC. The people running it were nice enough, but let's just say that I would recommend avoiding North Carolina Mexican. <_<

I rather like the Mexican restaurants around here (RTP, NC).  I don't know how they compare to authentic restaurants though.  (But they certainly seem more authentic than what I remember of Chi-Chi's.)

When I next go to ReaperCon (next year maybe?), I should hunt down a Mexican restaurant for dinner, although that might require convincing someone with a car to go too.

• Like 8