Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

Froggy the Great

39 minutes ago, TGP said:

I had my X-ray yesterday. Yesterday acted very Monday-ish but I made it to the appointment anyway. 

Thanks. 

And Huzzah!  The bones are OK

And! I got injected with medicine stuff / magic **potion.Now I get to wait three weeks to see if it works. 

(**It was actually a cocktail of lidocaine and some kind of steroid.)

Glad to hear it wasn't serious!  hope the injection works as advertised. 

5 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

... ...Higher ups came into the office today, out of nowhere.... Laid off the branch manager and logistics manager... 

Ruh roh. 

Ack!  don't wander off! It looks like I might actually get an excuse to come visit our Edmonton plant this fall.

We also had a recent purge of my mentor and most of his staff.  I volunteered to leave as well but they wouldn't offer me a severance package. :down:  Blasted essential personnel clause.  I could have used 6 months off with pay and medical insurance to find a new job that I would actually enjoy.  If I leave this one it will be the 3rd out of 5 I left because the paperwork became more of my job than the actual engineering.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 6

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

I’m not surprised Zappa wouldn’t like a “loosey-goosey” attitude.

He was notorious for his musical perfectionism, for gruelling rehearsals and rigorous practice, pushing himself and his bandmates to practice over and over and over until they knew their music backwards, forwards, sideways and perfect.

Between that and his not being into drugs he would not have meshed well with the early SNL crew.

You are, of course, correct. Your facts are factual, and I can add nothing.

But in 1979, I did not know this, and assumed anyone who looked like HIM certainly did drugs by the barrel. That, and if you listen to his instrumentals, he SOUNDS for all the world like an extremely talented freestyler, not someone who ruthlessly regimented every note. Hell, in "The Radio Is Broken," he included a blatant mistake in the recorded track, as well as himself and at least one other band member laughing about having made a mistake! HOW could this guy be an arrogant, smug perfectionist? HOW?

And of course, at the time, I regarded SNL as the brave new world of television, the greatest thing on the air, and a blazing experiment in the immediacy and electricity of LIVE TELEVISION!

Yes, yes, I know, I know, I was an idiot, you don't have to quote all the live television of previous decades. I was a kid, and I thought what I thought. Until I read a number of books about SNL and Zappa, years later, and was afterwards wiser and richer in facts.

At any rate, how could one NOT be utterly delighted to participate in this grand and glorious experiment?

....well, apparently, any given arrogant musician who regards television as trash, and yet is willing to take money to perform on it. Go figure.

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 9

23 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

Ack!  don't wander off! It looks like I might actually get an excuse to come visit our Edmonton plant this fall.

We also had a recent purge of my mentor and most of his staff.  I volunteered to leave as well but they wouldn't offer me a severance package. :down:  Blasted essential personnel clause.  I could have used 6 months off with pay and medical insurance to find a new job that I would actually enjoy.  If I leave this one it will be the 3rd out of 5 I left because the paperwork became more of my job than the actual engineering.

Don't have to worry about wandering off... Although if it's more than just some people in management, I might find myself with more spare time... A lot of the staff are doing the deer in the headlights kind of thing, doubly so the complete lack of any warning signs of stuff.... And numbers have been up, so it isn't that either. 

Hoping we will get some info over the next few days.  I suspect I'll get some either when I get back to the office today, or tomorrow morning.  Kiiiind of wishing I had gotten my hair cut over the weekend now though, as a just in case.... 

I did trim my beard though *laughs nervously*

11 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

@TGP glad to hear your bones aren't broken :winkthumbs:

@WhiteWulfe :blink:

IMG_2657.JPG.d76fdd35e10d37dd424470fe168c4487.JPG

Man that pic is cute.  But yeah, just... So weird that out of the blue, boom, two of the highest up in our branch, laid off, and there's rumours there may be more. 

The two that covered and fought for a lot of the staff too... branch manager managed to talk layoffs a few years ago from 14 down to just 7 - those were some seriously tight six months in 2014 or 2015? I think it was.  And he prevented further layoffs when the Ft McMurray fires hit and some parts of our business absolutely tanked for several months. 

• Like 5

I cannot speak on all the SNL crew, but I did get to meet Dan Akroyd when they were filming the Blues Brothers. I was one of the local grocery stockers hired to set up the stores in Dixie Square Mall. Ackroyd was cool, very nice to everyone, but Belushi was a jerk. I would say that his addiction was part of it, but he was just flat out nasty to a couple of the guys who just asked for autographs.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

36 minutes ago, Inarah said:

@TGP,  so, Griffin, is there something we ought to know?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2019/07/30/tsa-missile-launcher-found-bwi-airport-texas-man-checked-luggage/1864580001/

(note the label on the "luggage")

Okay everyone, the live fire demonstration is apparently off for ReaperCon. Maybe next year...

• Haha 12
  • Confused 2

35 minutes ago, Corsair said:

I cannot speak on all the SNL crew, but I did get to meet Dan Akroyd when they were filming the Blues Brothers. I was one of the local grocery stockers hired to set up the stores in Dixie Square Mall. Ackroyd was cool, very nice to everyone, but Belushi was a jerk. I would say that his addiction was part of it, but he was just flat out nasty to a couple of the guys who just asked for autographs.

This is one reason why I'm always torn on meeting famous people. There are some I'd like to meet, but I'd rather be able to think that they're cool people than find out that they're raging pricks.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

This is one reason why I'm always torn on meeting famous people. There are some I'd like to meet, but I'd rather be able to think that they're cool people than find out that they're raging pricks.

In 1982, I encountered Dustin Hoffman. He ran away from me.

Wondered about that for years afterwards.

• Haha 8
  • Confused 2

11 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Steven Sinovsky is less than impressed with the 'new' Win10 Start menu that was rolled out to testers by accident recently...   

Eh, Steven, maybe you shouldn't comment on other people's work since you made the worst GUI since Microsoft Bob. 

You made the PM in OS/2 1.3 look good...  

What did he do?

He created the User Interface in Win8...   

Gods above and below, I hated that interface - the guy was trying to use the sam UI on tablets and computers - they are most assuredly not the same thing. :grr:

Classic Shell was the first thing I would recommend for any Win 8 user.

Right up there with Zak Snyder complaining about super hero movies. :devil:

The Auld Grump

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Same here. And it's all William Shatner's fault. 

When i was 12-14, my dad was skiing in a Pro-Am Celebrity charity race in CO, and the celebrity assigned to his team was Captain Kirk!  I begged my dad to take me with him so I could meet Mr Shatner.  He took me. 

Mr Shatner was a no show.  As in the only celebrity scheduled to appear who not only didn't show up, but didn't even bother to tell the organizers.  So instead, I got to meet a Denver Radio or TV personality whom I don't remember, nor ever cared about. 

34 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

In 1982, I encountered Dustin Hoffman. He ran away from me.

Wondered about that for years afterwards.

I've always wondered if Michael Jordan tells people about my encounter with him. 

I was working at an arcade/family fun center, and I was underneath a Skeeball machine working on it.  I got to a point where I had to go get a part or tool from the shop, and when I crawled out from underneath the bank of machines, I found myself doing so at the feet of Mr Jordan and his family.  I embarrassingly excused myself and hid in the shop for 30 minutes before returning back to the skeeball machine.  I knew he was going to be on site - he was a guest of the co-owner, the golfer Johnny Miller, but I didn't expect to crawl out from under a machine and bump into him. I'm not into b-ball at all, so I didn't really care. 

I've always wondered if he tells other celebrities that one time someone crawled out from under a Skeeball machine just to meet him. 

6 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Gods above and below, I hated that interface - the guy was trying to use the sam UI on tablets and computers - they are most assuredly not the same thing. :grr:

Classic Shell was the first thing I would recommend for any Win 8 user.

Right up there with Zak Snyder complaining about super hero movies. :devil:

The Auld Grump

I still have to deal with that interface at least once weekly.  Car Wash owners are cheap, and Win 8 computers were on clearance prices there for awhile....

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

Reportedly, there have been several SNL cast members that nobody else ever wanted to work with, or had problems working with people that were not SNL. Belushi and Murray coming to mind.

The Auld Grump

21 hours ago, Unruly said:

So I just got an email from Privateer Press confirming an order. I was very confused. Then I looked at the date.

August 30, 2018...

We had one from New Egg last week that our Logitech mouse was being shipped... We have had that mouse for a year. I'm using it right  now....

The Auld Grump

• Confused 4
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

I still have to deal with that interface at least once weekly.  Car Wash owners are cheap, and Win 8 computers were on clearance prices there for awhile....

The thing I hated most about Win 8 was the way it would shut down programs it didn't think you were using - and it was always wrong.

When working on RPGs I generally have three programs open - DTP, graphics, and a word processor.Sometimes CC3 as well. Sometimes a database. I need to be able to switch between them.

I have no idea why they thought that the ribbon was a good idea.

The Auld Grump

• Like 7

On 7/28/2019 at 7:38 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

I have used a similar method, with seaweed instead of newspaper, for fish. ::): (Mostly catfish. And eels, once or twice.)

The Auld Grump - back when eels were cheap!

To be fair - I filled out one of the questionnaires too.

Fantasy Cops 5

Super Cops 4

Blight Occult Detectives 3

Fallout: Florida 2

Razor Coast 1

Megan's was almost the same, swapping Fantasy Cops and Super Cops. (Putting those two neck and neck for the lead.)

The Auld Grump

Me -

Fantasy Cops 5

Super Cops 4

Razor Coast 1

Megan -

Super Cops 5

Fantasy Cops 4

Razor Coast 1

Julie -

Blight Occult Detectives 5

Fantasy Cops 4

Razor Coast 3

Super cops 1

Jon -

Razor Coast 5

Blight Occult Detectives 4

Fantasy Cops 3

Super Cops 2

Fallout: Florida 1

Duncan -

Blight Occult Detectives 5

Fantasy Cops 4

Razor Coast 3

Fallout: Florida 2 (if short)

Super Cops 1

Jenny -

Blight Detectives 5

Fantasy Cops 4

Razor Coast 3

No Preference between Super Cops and Fallout.

Dennis the Younger -

Still waiting

Current totals -

Fantasy Cops 25

Super Cops 14 (Splitting Jenny as 2 and 2.)

Razor Coast  16

Blight Occult Detectives - 25

Fallout - 11

Dennis the Younger will be the tie breaker between Fantasy Cops  and Blight Occult Detectives.

I did not expect The Blight to do nearly this well, and expected the Super Cops game to do much better. Now to roll up their talking dog, and their bright blue and yellow-green coach with the plate that reads Mr. E.... Yoiks!

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Reportedly, there have been several SNL cast members that nobody else ever wanted to work with, or had problems working with people that were not SNL. Belushi and Murray coming to mind.

Lorne Michaels tells terrible tales of the time Milton Berle hosted the show. To hear Michaels tell it, there wasn't room in 30 Rockefeller Plaza for SNL's cast, crew, and Milton Berle's ego.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1