Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

Froggy the Great

1 minute ago, PaganMegan said:

Sometimes the driver is an independent contractor, and really doesn't give a flying broccoli. Not his customers, and he is paid by the job.

True, but usually they at least try - they just take all the storage for themselves.  I'm relatively certain these aren't independent contractors though, since it's a large city, and the chip companies here in town hire directly.  Could be a case of not caring though, especially for the popcorn, since it was literally dropped half a foot in the door, in a giant stack (which indicates it being brought in on a dolly, and then just dropped). 

That's partially why some of the other account reps have tried to get me on their route when their driver left, or was promoted - "tiny" details like helping keep my customers' cabinets and cupboards tidy is apparently a skill not all delivery drivers learn.

• Like 9

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Corsair said:

On the foodie topic, there are two Southern foods that ABSOLUTELY must be cooked properly. Done right, they are wonderful, done wrong, well, let's just say they can result in threats of bodily harm to their cooks. Those are okra and grits.

The okra thing has always surprised me. Following my paternal roots, I had always enjoyed okra sliced, and pan fried with onions and Indian spices. It’s a crunchy delight.

It was only years later that I discovered that most Americans fear cooking the stuff for fear of creating a gloppy mess. :mellow:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Corsair said:

On the foodie topic, there are two Southern foods that ABSOLUTELY must be cooked properly. Done right, they are wonderful, done wrong, well, let's just say they can result in threats of bodily harm to their cooks. Those are okra and grits.

And we will not even get into the debate over sugar in cornbread...

I would add collard greens to that list

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Here's a cute baby picture:

IMG_2547.thumb.JPG.2d052b61b050e639655a7dfe833de8f2.JPG

All you need do is fill in the cute cooing laughs and giggles. ^_^ 

Oh, and imagine her drooling on you. Being drooled on helps.

Ön my phönë ïf yöü höld döwn ä lëttër, ä pöp üp wïll shöw üp. :lol: :rolleyes:

Thanks red - it really does help.

• Like 10

37 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

Sometimes the driver is an independent contractor, and really doesn't give a flying broccoli. Not his customers, and he is paid by the job.

I never give a flying elf about them being a contractor or not. I WILL call the supplier and tell them exactly what I think, and that I won't tolerate more nonsense.    

Of course, I mostly deal with cable monkeys and such...   

You know those captive nuts used on computer racks?

Mounts onto the back of the rails, the equiplent has 'tabs with holes that goes on the front, and a bolt goes through the tab and the rail and into the nut, to hold stuff securely... 

I once found a new router installed in a remote office, and the monkey had put the captive nuts on the front of the rails, and hung the router on the front of those again, so the only thing stopping it from being introduced to the junk at the bottom of the rack was the thin metal of the 'cage' parts.   

I didn't call the company the monkey worked for, I called the very large company that we outsource our WAN infrastructure to, and told them about it. 

They were rather... unamused... particularly since they owned the very expensive kit that was barely hanging on...   

Another time, a delivery driver dropped off a pallet of laptops.(yeah, we're that big)

Unfortunately for him, he took advantage of the gate to the delivery area was open, and just offloaded, without calling the reception and announcing that he was there... and of course he faked some sort of signature...    

We found the pallet by sheer coincidence at the end of the day. So we quickly moved it to a storage room, then took off for the day. 

The next day we called the shipping company and asked when they would be delivering the load of expensive computers...   

(The value was probably around $40K )   

We gave them quite a runaround, and when they sent us the 'signature' we told them that no, that didn't look like the signature or name of anyone in our organisation. And pointed out that the poster on the gate specifically tells them to wait for a person from the correct organisation to sign for goods.   

We probably kept them sitting on pins and needles for half a day before 'someone in a different department mentioned moving a pallet to a storage room'. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

So, I got my baby this play gym, because I need something other than me to occupy her attention, so I can do stuff like eat. And it sings. Surprisingly good. Like, the chick they got to do the songs on this thing is a pretty good singer and the music is pretty nice. I guess o expected something more annoying.

IMG_2661.thumb.JPG.57ce01fca56fc0944a60831ee318814a.JPG

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, klarg1 said:

The okra thing has always surprised me. Following my paternal roots, I had always enjoyed okra sliced, and pan fried with onions and Indian spices. It’s a crunchy delight.

It was only years later that I discovered that most Americans fear cooking the stuff for fear of creating a gloppy mess. :mellow:

Frying MOST things tends to make them more palatable. Growing up in the south, fried okra, either pan fried or breaded and deep fried, that's comfort food.

Babies, on the other hand, I don't recommend frying. It's an awful mess and leads to awkward conversations with police officers, and terrible rumors that tend to come back to haunt you when you decide to run for public office.

• Haha 15

19 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

BMM1304.jpg

I think that is as close to a VW van as you can get for a fantasy game. ::):

*EDIT* I would have no difficulty fitting it into the game.

The Auld Grump

Grumpy sent me a link to waterslide transfer paper.

That will make turning the mini into the Mystery Machine SO much easier.

I can pretty much copy and paste from the original!

5 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Frying MOST things tends to make them more palatable. Growing up in the south, fried okra, either pan fried or breaded and deep fried, that's comfort food.

Babies, on the other hand, I don't recommend frying. It's an awful mess and leads to awkward conversations with police officers, and terrible rumors that tend to come back to haunt you when you decide to run for public office.

Walya, walya walya.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4X3CiaWytcU

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

While working on my War Cats Unit for the Shifting Sands Project and a Goat, I managed to cut myself in both my thumb and my middle finger of the left hand.

The Sacrifice is made!

Now these will HAVE to look good as was the bargain with the Paint Gods.

Anywhere else, and no one would have any idea what you're talking about. This place is great! :lol:

8 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Jon's dad has a story about ship duty and low water, so NO SHOWERS.

Then they got caught in a rainstorm, and EVERYBODY grabbed their soap and shampoo, and showered on deck. Naked to the sky. Until they passed through the storm.

Then came an announcement: All hands, we are coming about for the rinse!

Yup, been there, done that. Being on water hours is no fun. It did teach me to always make sure I had a pack of baby wipes in my locker, though. A baby wipe 'shower' is much better than no shower.

8 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

You're missing the point of "no broccoli, there I was" stories. ::D:

I'd purple that, but tablet.

You're right.

I thought about that a couple hours later after I'd finished waking up.

Sorry I dumped on your story, @redambrosia.

4 hours ago, TGP said:

Here is a real Destroyer story:

USS Smith DD-378 (Named for USN First Lt. Joseph B. Smith; but that’s another story) was steaming at flank speed along with all the other ships in a large task force that included USS Hornet and USS South Dakota. 

At approximately 1130 AM, Smith had a problem. The ship was on fire everywhere forward of the number one smoke stack. That included the bridge which meant the ship had to be steered from the alternate pilot house located somewhere aft. Her CO decided to solve this problem by steering into the wake of USS South Dakota, a 45,000 ton battleship.  A battleship going flank speed creates a ridiculous amount of frothing spray immediately astern. Encountering that largely knocked down the fires. 

The rest of the story: This happened the 26th of October 1942. The fire was started by a Japanese Torpedo plane or accidental(?) Kamikaze aircraft which crashed into the forward end of the ship. Subsequently, Smith resumed its station in the formation, then kept fighting for the rest of the day with its remaining operable guns in spite of flooded forward magazines. 

That's because Destroyer sailors are bad to the bone!:winkthumbs:

3 hours ago, paintybeard said:

Also I've never heard of an "Operations Officer". Operations Technician, yes, but officer, no. (Picky, picky, picky...)

It's a real thing in the US Navy. He/she is the department head of the operations department. The ops department are the ones that operate the comms, radar, and various other electronic equipment.

• Like 11