Jump to content

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.


Froggy the Great
 Share

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

 

Especially young players. ::): Swallow Whole is the gift that keeps giving!

 

The Auld Grump

 

I just imagine an ineffective young monster, some wee gribbly gamely and ineffectively gumming some adventurer’s forearm while the adventurer looks on bemused ...

  • Haha 17
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

We're playing Pathfinder reeeeally early today. So early I have not yet had coffee.

 

I made extra. I have one hour to wake up and clean the apartment.

 

One of those is not happening.

 

I've done that before. I was punching off at work when a friend came up & said we're playing D&D now. I think it was around 8 am. We went over to his house, the DM had things set up & we played a session till about 3 in the afternoon. It was one the most memorable games I've experienced.::):

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pegazus said:

 

Oh! Funny story. We've got Japanese beetles eating our apple tree leaves. In addition to the trap set out, I have a soapy water bucket that I use to eliminate them, and make the rounds when I think to do so. I can get a lot, but some fly away. I keep thinking I should try to catch some of them while flying. They are also eating the neighbors grape vine, and I will grab some from the overhangs.

 

Saw one flying really rather slowly at the grapes, so swung out and caught it! I was so proud of myself!

 

Then the bee that I'd actually caught stung me on the thumb! Rats!

 

You know, we used to have Japanese beetles like crazy here, but I haven't seen more than a handful of them in a long time. Then again, that may be because the place I used to see them the most was at my grandma's house and she had grapevines, which are one of their favorite foods. When she got rid of the grapes, we started seeing them a lot less.

 

But also around that time we saw a massive uptick in the amount of ladybugs around. As in giant swarms of them were appearing and filling homes in the fall. For about 5 years we fought a losing battle against them as the filled every ceiling corner and window frame in every house, making the places stink like crazy and staining everything brown if you tried to get rid of them. They were also an invasive species brought over from somewhere in Asia. Then one year they just disappeared as well.

 

To which they were replaced by brown marmorated stink bugs. Yet another invasive Asian insect. And while the ladybugs stank, these guys REEK. Just one of them makes more stink than a whole corner full of those ladybugs did. The only upside is that they don't seem to stain things the same way. But they're much more persistent, and more of a year round nuisance than the ladybugs, who would really only be a menace in the colder months. We've been dealing with these things for 10+ years now.

 

I can only imagine what new horror will come in when they finally go away...

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 2
  • Sad 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Did you see they announced Blade for phase 5? :ik_oops:

 

I did (but thank you anyway)! Same actor for Blade that played Cottonmouth in Luke Cage.

 

Jared Leto is also doing Morbius for a movie next year.  While I'm not much of a fan of Leto, I'll probably see it (on video).

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Crowley said:

IMG_20190804_171849__01.thumb.jpg.c0af69fcf0b1b6c6b61bd5a1792251e9.jpg

Progress!

 

And an adorable Alice

IMG_20190804_210739.thumb.jpg.c8ac510fb9f71ebc848c884b97063e01.jpg

Sammy has a pair of arch nemeses - corgis that think he is the bees knees. (Corky and Champagne are their names, I think.)

 

They bounce happily around him while he looks up at us with 'Help! Save me!' in his eyes. :lol:

 

He doesn't bark or growl at them - but his favorite defensive tactic of 'Lay down and take a nap!' does not work on them. It puts his face within striking distance of their Frenzied Lick attacks.

 

I suspect that he will eventually get used to them.

 

*EDIT* That make this excited snuffling noise around him that is strangely adorable. ::P:

 

The Auld Grump

 

2 hours ago, Pingo said:

 

I just imagine an ineffective young monster, some wee gribbly gamely and ineffectively gumming some adventurer’s forearm while the adventurer looks on bemused ...

One of my favorite aquatic encounters is a giant octopus that uses its huge grapple bonus to... just hang on and take a ride on the PC. (In real life this is a very common encounter with giant octopuses - along with smaller octopuses crawling inside of the face mask.)

 

Non dangerous encounters can be fun - I have one with a Huge giant spider that is in front of the door the PCs need to get through.

 

If the PCs slowly sidle towards the door the spider slowly sidles away from it - maintaining both its threat display and the distance between it and the PCs.... It really doesn't want a fight - humanoids are scary. ::P:

 

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 3
  • Haha 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tonight we had a boss fight that wasn't really a boss fight. See, we were supposed to save this very ancient, powerful blue dragon. But the thing that captured us was too powerful for us to kill. Instead, we directed our attacks on the elemental chains binding the dragon. Once free, the dragon spluched the demon. 

 

IMG_2673.thumb.JPG.0303d3eb898e5d47d362fc66d6ecb18d.JPG

Dragon to scale. 

 

On the way into the dragon's lair, we came across a group of low level demons, which I spectacularly lured off the cliff. I just thought "oh, they're shambling like zombies huh? Kick em off the cliff, like in dying light!"

  • Like 18
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was on a thread somewhere around here recently that I was discussing with other forumites about the old TSR novels, books based on D&D and its environs, like the Dragonlance books.

It was mentioned that most of this stuff was out of print. This is mostly true; look at contemporary bookstores, and what you will find is the first few Dragonlance books, in reprint with new covers, and whatever Drizz't books have come out recently. Most everything else is out of print, and there aren't many D&D novels being written or printed these days; Hasbro is a toy company, not a publisher, and presumably sees little point or profit in overseeing a line of novels.

At a used bookstore over the weekend, though, I noted that in the recent past, there was a line of Pathfinder novels. And I noted with some bemusement that some of these novels seem to have been written by the same people who used to write for TSR... notably Elaine Cunningham, Ed Greenwood, and others...

I couldn't help but find THAT sort of interesting.

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

It was on a thread somewhere around here recently that I was discussing with other forumites about the old TSR novels, books based on D&D and its environs, like the Dragonlance books.

It was mentioned that most of this stuff was out of print. This is mostly true; look at contemporary bookstores, and what you will find is the first few Dragonlance books, in reprint with new covers, and whatever Drizz't books have come out recently. Most everything else is out of print, and there aren't many D&D novels being written or printed these days; Hasbro is a toy company, not a publisher, and presumably sees little point or profit in overseeing a line of novels.

At a used bookstore over the weekend, though, I noted that in the recent past, there was a line of Pathfinder novels. And I noted with some bemusement that some of these novels seem to have been written by the same people who used to write for TSR... notably Elaine Cunningham, Ed Greenwood, and others...

I couldn't help but find THAT sort of interesting.

You flush it, I flaunt it!



-The Penguin

 

Paizo's business model is built off of what Wizards saw fit to throw away.

 

Paperback adventures? Check!

Prepainted random minis? Check!

Novels? Check!

Monthly magazine style content? Check!

 

Now Wizards is getting back into some of the products they ditched, killed off, or ruined in the 4e years.

 

Novels used to be the steady money maker. ::(:

 

 

Looking at Grump's side of the table, I see a gaggle of Bones goblins rearmed with halberds, cleavers, and hooked blades.

 

Wearing red caps. :unsure: Uh, oh!

39 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Tonight we had a boss fight that wasn't really a boss fight. See, we were supposed to save this very ancient, powerful blue dragon. But the thing that captured us was too powerful for us to kill. Instead, we directed our attacks on the elemental chains binding the dragon. Once free, the dragon spluched the demon. 

 

IMG_2673.thumb.JPG.0303d3eb898e5d47d362fc66d6ecb18d.JPG

Dragon to scale. 

 

On the way into the dragon's lair, we came across a group of low level demons, which I spectacularly lured off the cliff. I just thought "oh, they're shambling like zombies huh? Kick em off the cliff, like in dying light!"

Is that one of the Bard cartoons that I see in the background? :lol:

  • Like 12
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

I have found the perfect mini to be the villain of the first book. Because that villain is a dire rat wizard, that means it's time for mouseling villain!

 

Oooh, like a Professor Ratigan mini! Now I want to go watch The Great Mouse Detective. ^_^

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

Back from Gencon.  A good number of dropfleet ships followed me home, as did the new battle for earth book that combines dropfleet and a revised version of dropzone into a single massive campaign and puts in new rules for combining fleets and troops in alliances and cross communication allowing 2 people to play dropfleet right next to to people playing dropzone and pass reinforcements and bombardments and giant space cannon blasts back and forth between the two maps.

 

also got some other toys....

I so hope when I check the acquisitions thread there are pictures!

 

Also, out of sheer insane curiosity, did you happen to find out how much were they selling that board they had there for, and did they say when the 3d 10mm table tiles will be coming out, the trench-like ones that are probably for lowered roads, or... Grrrf, can't think of the name.  It isn't a trench, it isn't a sewer or drain, or ditch... Ditch is the closest I can think of.  Those tiles they've been teasing for a while.  i'm just curious. ^_^

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

False Adverts and Label Fakery

(one more rant...)

 

Quote

[...] then they show the same exact renders colorized and call them “painted samples” as if they were anything so physically real as an actual sample and real paint had ever gotten anywhere near them.

 

Those are NOT “painted samples.” They are colorized renders.

“Colorized render” would work for me. “Digitally Coloured” works, (I could even throw in an extra “u” for @Beagle ‘s benefit.)

 

Quote

I nominate that such images be labeled the way many canned food products are, with SERVING SUGGESTION in prominent letters somewhere.

Labels. In the grocery stores...

 

GUEST_9d8fadcd-d3a2-412a-9298-bbb9895a70

There is no alcohol ^ whatsoever ^ in this product. Nor is there even a single granule of sugar, much less a gram. 

 

Nope. There’s nothing but tea in the bottle. (The tiny words in the black circle are correct, they read: “zero calories”.) I know this because I have sampled this product, which is a decent bottle of tea, FWTIW. 

 

My state has a false advertising law. This is brewed and bottled in the state capitol. That law is toothless.  <_<

  • Like 6
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...