Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

Found out today why my comics shop is closing down. It's a combination of things that I'd talked with the owner about in the past, including parking and the bum problem we have downtown, but the real crux of it is that his landlord came in and said "I've got someone who wants this place and they're going to pay more." Considering that he hasn't had a real lease in years, and the landlord refuses to fix anything, he decided he wasn't going to play that game and just let the landlord have it.

He said that with the merger with the other comics shop across town he managed to get everything he wanted and more. He's got a salaried employment contract, he's one of the top managers there, and he gets to bring his existing staff in with him. He's a bit sad to no longer be the neighborhood comics shop, but everywhere else downtown wanted more rent for less space. And then he'd still have the issues with parking and the bums. I'm hoping that since he's going to be one of the bosses at the other place, and he's bringing his staff with him, their attitudes change a bit. Their staff can be a bit less than welcoming at times, and can fall into the old school game/comic store bad habits. Which is part of the reason I don't go there often. But his staff have always been awesome.

He's already said that he's probably not going to be making friends with a lot of the other place's existing staff. I guess they've got like 6 people who only want to work like 2 hours a day or something, and he's bringing in his 4 people who will work a 6-8 hour shift without complaint. That, plus he's a new manager out of nowhere.

Once he gets everything situated out there I may have to make it a habit to go out at least once a month to check in with him and his filthy assistants.

• Like 18
  • Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wooo I finished a figure tonight! Roan Heartwood is a druid and the dog cleric's former master; he was her animal companion before she was slain by vampires. Lovely character. Everyone adored her and

Delivered by c-section (), 3:59pm May 8, 2019, 7lbs 10oz, 20 inches.    She started out purple, but quickly turned pink.

So, I woke up to terrible news.  A good friend passed away last night during emergency surgery.  I'm pretty gutted, as is everyone who knew him.  Big Tim was the heart of our race track.  He was t

Posted Images

Instead of giving myself enough time to sleep tonight, I apparently decided I was going to watch two and a half hours of battle reports and unboxings for Infinity to get a better idea of the game, and some of the minis I'm interested in.  It was supposed to dissuade me, or at least that's what my thoughts were.  Nope, I, uhm, now have three armies I want to build for myself (four if you include the one I'll wind up building, and possibly painting for hubby, BECAUSE WEREWOLVES!) >.>;;;;

On the flipside, knee's doing better, although I'm still limping fairly heavily, but I survived not only the workday, but also didn't have health and safety at my biggest customer stop me wondering why I was working with an injured knee, so that's a bonus... ^_^;;;  I'm going to be tidying up my hobbying area tomorrow though, since I really REALLY want to be able to get access to my benching rig, since it IS team cup right now after all, and it's kind of hard to do benching when the entire area is overhwlemed with CAVs...  Would make for a somewhat funny rig pic to post though.  Guess I better get to work on those CAVs, so it can be a primered army of doom, then a blocked in army of doom....  And see if anyone in the competition notices - then again, nobody notices my, uhm, ahem.... Stickers I had in my rig pics, so who knows.  or the little "forgive me" puppy I ~always~ have in my benching rig pics since about two and a half years ago when my parents visited that time.

May or may not have dry ice shenanigans this year from me for team cup.  Dry ice shenanigans are fun, but man, you definitely need to have the time to burn through a cooler full of it...

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 9
2 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Mmmmm.... Tonight I am monching on ice cream and learning photoshop. A good night! ^_^

I have created life!!!!

2131935329_cactus01.thumb.PNG.8f75b332efe892571bef9938a2df746e.PNG

I'm learning photoshop with Paintable. It starts you at the most bottom level possible, which is great because I need that haha.

For this lesson, the teacher's completed example is on the left and an outline is given on the right.

The video takes you through each step. This was lesson 5 out of 76 (!) for the Foundations section.

249237766_Ihavecreatedlife.PNG.3541bfd1716fc8bf329a769f543e5137.PNG

• Like 8
  • Haha 9

My partner got a promotion... of sorts?

She's detailed into a minor leadership position in my department. If she stays here it'll allow her to jump to her next grade a year early. If not, it's still good experience she can leverage to get into management.

• Like 19
42 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

...but also didn't have health and safety at my biggest customer stop me wondering why I was working with an injured knee, so that's a bonus...

1) When did you injure your knee?

2) Was this before they sacked a bunch of managers at your work?

3) Why are your trying to work with a bum knee?

• Like 9
9 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

My partner got a promotion... of sorts?

She's detailed into a minor leadership position in my department. If she stays here it'll allow her to jump to her next grade a year early. If not, it's still good experience she can leverage to get into management.

Don't let her! She'll lose all her brain cells!

• Like 1
  • Haha 14
  • Confused 1
8 hours ago, Pingo said:

Daddy Longlegs are not spiders. They don’t bite and are totally gentle. As a kid I let them walk all over my hands, admiring the delicate tickle of their feet.

They would if they could. Because they lack the ability they have to put up with us. [Yea i know there are a few real ones out there but even they are more annoying than harmful

• Like 6