Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

39 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

There are high-capacity micro SD cards that have a storage capacity of 1TB. That format has a mass of 0.27g. The 747-8F has a max cargo capacity of 120 metric tons (or 444-4/9 million micro SD cards). That means a capacity of 444+ exabytes. The 747 cruises at 914 kph. If we assume a distance of something like 2000km, and neglecting loading, unloading, landing, and takeoff (add in factors to taste), that gives us a data transfer rate of something close to 200 exabytes/hour or in the range of 55 petabytes/second.

Respectable, IMO.

Now 4/9 of a billion micro SD cards at $428US/ea does run about $190 bn, so it's not within the price range of the average household, but the good news is that the price of the 747 and fuel is a rounding error at that point, so there's that.

To the best of my knowledge, nobody has ever build the equivalent of a full-scale tape library for MicroSD cards. Manually swapping them in and out of individual drives might stretch your latency and transfer rate pretty badly at the source and destination.

Although, if you're willing to throw a measly $200m extra my way (Just 0.1% of your gross costs!), I'd be happy to go build that card library for you. :B):

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 11

For anybody curious about carting around data with planes, trains, or automobiles, Amazon actually offers this exact service today.

I can't post a link, because all of AWS is a commerce site, but if you do a Google search for "AWS Snowball", you will find that with the click of a button, you can get Amazon to ship you an 80 terabyte storage device which you can load with whatever data you like, and ship back to them to be loaded into their cloud.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

To the best of my knowledge, nobody has ever build the equivalent of a full-scale tape library for MicroSD cards. Manually swapping them in and out of individual drives might stretch your latency and transfer rate pretty badly at the source and destination.

Although, if you're willing to throw a measly $200m extra my way (Just 0.1% of your gross costs!), I'd be happy to go build that card library for you. :B):

As long as you include an organizer/sorter as well. I mean who wants to look at the labels on 444m+ micro SD cards?

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

14 hours ago, Beagle said:

me,  wound up? Oh hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha 

When have you ever heard me be anything but cheerful, light and airy?

3 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

You have always been decidedly British.

Unwinding Beagle is easy...  All you need is some tape, a few bollards and a sign saying: 'line forms this way' 

The magic of the queue!

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

15 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

As long as you include an organizer/sorter as well. I mean who wants to look at the labels on 444m+ micro SD cards?

In this day and age, it is almost certainly cheaper to just read the cards in random order, using a built-in camera to take a picture of the label, and then run a massive map/reduce job to sort it out “in post”.

What? Why is everybody looking at me that way?

• Haha 9

Just now, klarg1 said:

In this day and age, it is almost certainly cheaper to just read the cards in random order, using a built-in camera to take a picture of the label, and then run a massive map/reduce job to sort it out “in post”.

What? Why is everybody looking at me that way?

Fair enough. Though I would expect a robot arm with an optical system to identify orientation when picking up the cards and an intermittently activated vibration table so that the label side is up when the card is retrieved.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Got home from work, finished my chores, and just sat down to relax/do some hobby stuff and we lost power due to a thunderstorm. Got it back a few minutes ago, just in time to make my lunch for tomorrow.

Thanks, universe. You're off my Christmas card list.

At least tomorrow is Friday.:winkthumbs:

Time for a little music to sooth my nerves.

tumblr_ppmb2cPZcz1qil4dw_540.jpg.aafefd75d7878b35ca3c3b8d418e976c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

Whew. Just finished my annotations on The Lament for Sumer and Urim.

So many gods, so many cities, so much detail.

At least now it makes some sense.

I was charting out a Babylonian house floorplan earlier today and my Firstborn looked at it and looked at me and said, Gonna build some terrain?

I ... don’t know. I’d love to make a gingerbread house based on a Babylonian spirit house. I guess we’ll see.

• Like 14

28 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Here's your handy reference chart for where to pet wildlife:

2080692669_WildlifePettingChart.jpg.682ca9b8ea3054fc40b23ef8f13a0688.jpg

GEM

It's disappointing that this is needed.

Although I have to admit that I had to restrain myself when some bison were walking by the car at the safari park.  I doubt that they're soft and fuzzy (probably rough and wooly), but I just wanted to reach and find out...

• Like 10

1 minute ago, strawhat said:

It's disappointing that this is needed.

Although I have to admit that I had to restrain myself when some bison were walking by the car at the safari park.  I doubt that they're soft and fuzzy (probably rough and wooly), but I just wanted to reach and find out...

There were buffalo skin blankets you could touch in a Native American exhibit at our local museum.

They were really rough and scritchy, even where they looked woolly.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, redambrosia said:

What about blue buffalo?

Our cats like it, but they have not provided us with a review.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7