Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

20 hours ago, strawhat said:

It's disappointing that this is needed.

Although I have to admit that I had to restrain myself when some bison were walking by the car at the safari park.  I doubt that they're soft and fuzzy (probably rough and wooly), but I just wanted to reach and find out...

At Custer State Park in South Dakota [corrected]  , near Yellowstone, they have a very large herd of Bison.

The herd is large enough that they actually have to have a roundup and cull every year.

Haven't been there during the roundup but have been there about two weeks before, when most of the beasties are hiding in the tall timber.

They are musty dusty creatures, somewhat bad tempered, and the people who have been chased and tossed recently got off easy and lucky.

If you ever have the opportunity to acquire a Bison Robe/Blanket do so.  When properly tanned the fur is incredibly soft and warm and once you've experienced one you can understand why these large beasties are able to endure harsh winter conditions.

If you ever do get up that way, watch out for the 4 legged panhandlers, those being the donkey herd, descendants of stock originally brought into the region during the Black Hills Gold Rush.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
tentacles
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, strawhat said:

It's disappointing that this is needed.

Although I have to admit that I had to restrain myself when some bison were walking by the car at the safari park.  I doubt that they're soft and fuzzy (probably rough and wooly), but I just wanted to reach and find out...

I only sarcastically need a diagram of where not to pet a bear. It's just not fair, they're so cute and furry, they should be my friends.

• Haha 10

7 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

If you ever do get up that way, watch out for the 4 legged panhandlers, those being the donkey herd, descendants of stock originally brought into the region during the Black Hills Gold Rush.

We've met. 

1886648121_4x6DSC04140.JPG.3ae05760211c80e188bd083441bc6a71.JPG

We went to SD in '16.

We stayed in Hill City (off season), so there wasn't a whole lot to do but we were mostly just getting out of town.  We are hoping to take the granddaughter to the roundup next season.  She's got a weird thing for bison.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, strawhat said:

She's got a weird thing for bison

They're cute! What's weird about that!

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

I only sarcastically need a diagram of where not to pet a bear. It's just not fair, they're so cute and furry, they should be my friends.

I am not certain if it is still the case, but for quite some time, going purely by statistics, the state of the US where people were most likely to get mauled by a polar bear was... New York.

Three guesses as to how New York managed to take the lead....

The Auld Grump

• Haha 12
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

At Custer State Park in Wyoming , near Yellowstone, they have a very large herd of Bison.

The herd is large enough that they actually have to have a roundup and cull every year.

Haven't been there during the roundup but have been there about two weeks before, when most of the beasties are hiding in the tall timber.

They are musty dusty creatures, somewhat bad tempered, and the people who have been chased and tossed recently got off easy and lucky.

If you ever have the opportunity to acquire a Bison Robe/Blanket do so.  When properly tanned the fur is incredibly soft and warm and once you've experienced one you can understand why these large beasties are able to endure harsh winter conditions.

GEM

I know a few people that raised bison. My dad and I thought about doing it and talked to them. Range cattle can be large dangerous animals needing proper equipment and handling facilities to deal with them. Bison are on an entirely different scale in the power to weight department. They can shred things that'll hold the strongest cattle. Still think they're cool but don't have any desire to be the one handling them anymore.

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I am not certain if it is still the case, but for quite some time, going purely by statistics, the state of the US where people were most likely to get mauled by a polar bear was... New York.

The Auld Grump

I'll take one:

"Oh look at the cuddly 9' tall killing machine! Isn't it cute? Take my picture, Martha! Wait, let me just climb over this fence!"

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 7

10 minutes ago, Zink said:

I know a few people that raised bison. My dad and I thought about doing it and talked to them. Range cattle can be large dangerous animals needing proper equipment and handling facilities to deal with them. Bison are on an entirely different scale in the power to weight department. They can shred things that'll hold the strongest cattle. Still think they're cool but don't have any desire to be the one handling them anymore.

They need a lot more range per animal than domestic cattle.  About 20 acres per Bison is optimum, although they can be raised on smaller plots.

Properly raised and humanely slaughtered they make very good eating.

GEM

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

They're cute! What's weird about that!

745851520_4x6DSC03842.JPG.d89c76e149ed0608537a6c06141ba9f1.JPG

I also have a picture of a fully grown bison with its tongue up its nose.  That picture must be on a different device.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Y'know, the first time I read this I missed that you said polar bear.

I'd (sort of) understand if it were a black bear at the campground or near a small town.  I mean the wild bears don't carry signs saying "Hey, I'm dangerous."

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

There were buffalo skin blankets you could touch in a Native American exhibit at our local museum.

They were really rough and scritchy, even where they looked woolly.

A couple of my friends in the SCA have them. They're not my favorite things, but they're very warm. In my mind, they're a lot like wool. They're also very expensive. I think the cheapest one that my friends got was like $5-600 and that's because it's got a lot of imperfections such as holes, tears, and bald spots. It forms the basis for his bed at camping events.

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Truth on the warmth. Don't know if I'd agree on the softness.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The Auld Grump

Hubby has a poster that says, "Do not take for granted that the coast is clear, a polar bear could be outside this door." We had it on a door in our apartment when we were young.  The best part is that hubby got it from his dad, they had them up at his workplace.  They were quite serious, he worked as a communication tech for an Arctic oil drilling outfit.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

There were buffalo skin blankets you could touch in a Native American exhibit at our local museum.

They were really rough and scritchy, even where they looked woolly.

On a semi related note, that's what I expected Kangaroos to feel like, I was really surprised to find out they're soft, like cats or rabbits. 

Edit to remove double post.

Edited by kristof65
  • Like 8