Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

1 minute ago, Cyradis said:

Did they replace the old one and then have some idjit come by and go "oh, this job still needs doing", and shove the old one back in? Had that happen with a laptop repair after waiting over 6 weeks. Replaced the screen, called me to pick-up, and someone went and put the old one back in <_<

Or just a dud?

Either way, Crowley deserves a chocolate. And whiskey.

There are other possibilities.

A.  The "out of the box" alternator is bad.  It happens, especially with components like alternators when they aren't thoroughly tested before being boxed up for sale as they are generally used cores that have defective components replaced, usually the diode board and associated goodies.

B.  There is some other failure in the electrical system of Crowley's vehicle that is causing the alternator to fail immediately.  Not likely but it happens.

C.  The mechanic did not observe proper electrical safety protocols [such as ~completely~ disconnecting the battery while working on the vehicle, and making sure the whole system is completely de-energized {modern computerized automobiles can be equipped with "keep alive" circuits that remain energized even with the battery disconnected}] and managed to blow the new part during installation.

GEM

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

I thought this WAS a goblin trap!

Crowley, maybe you need to find somewhere to hide for a few days.  It sounds like Murphy has you square in his sights and is taking regular potshots.

Shhh!! Don't tell!!

Wanna know what's funny? My friends I'm staying with? They'rethe Murphy's!

33 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

New, like fresh from the manufacturer new?

Good grief, dude. You just can't catch a break.

I KNOW!! 

18 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Did they replace the old one and then have some idjit come by and go "oh, this job still needs doing", and shove the old one back in? Had that happen with a laptop repair after waiting over 6 weeks. Replaced the screen, called me to pick-up, and someone went and put the old one back in <_<

Or just a dud?

Either way, Crowley deserves a chocolate. And whiskey.

Beer, but yeah...

8 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

A.  The "out of the box" alternator is bad.  It happens, especially with components like alternators when they aren't thoroughly tested before being boxed up for sale as they are generally used cores that have defective components replaced, usually the diode board and associated goodies.

B.  There is some other failure in the electrical system of Crowley's vehicle that is causing the alternator to fail immediately.  Not likely but it happens.

C.  The mechanic did not observe proper electrical safety protocols [such as ~completely~ disconnecting the battery while working on the vehicle, and making sure the whole system is completely de-energized {modern computerized automobiles can be equipped with "keep alive" circuits that remain energized even with the battery disconnected}] and managed to blow the new part during installation.

GEM

Most likely "A" 

This is my old garage, and I've always had good experiences with them. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:

Thanks guys, good start!  But we have a lot of cucumbers.  Anyone out there with an authentic German sour cream cucumber salad recipe?

I think my oma's is a variation on one. Because what I made isn't right. It's close, but no cigar.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

These are fine plans.

I figure it'll be easier for me just to sell out to 5e at this juncture tho. It's always been a pain selling people on PF. And I dont have a game of any kind right now. It's mildly distressing. I'm tired.

I am finishing out my AP collection tho. I have all the modules minus Tyrant's Grasp now. On the fence about bothering to acquire the handful of maps to go with them. I feel like it's a nice, dead collection either way heh.

I've given some thought to following the APs on into 2nd edition, but collecting supplements for a game I will never play kinda feels like it might be the direction of the path down which madness lies, so I'unno.

I dislike 5e even more than PF2. If I play more class and level games, it will be with PF1 or something new. That said, C&L with exponential power growth isn't my favorite kind of gaming, and I suspect that I'll be able to pull people into a different system more easily now, which is good for me.

I figure I'll collect the first AP and see if the writing is any different. I don't expect it to be, which means that I'll drop after the first AP.

29 minutes ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Yeah, probably that one. Infant mortality is definitely a thing with electronics. All it takes is one bad component or one bad solder joint and the assembly dies within a day or so of when power is applied. The thing is that unless lives or millions are on the line, it's a poor idea to test for it unless there is strong evidence that you're having a problem. Infant mortality is a low probability occurrence, so it's not a problem for much of your customer base, and testing would likely increase the price by somewhere between 10% and 200% (depending on the component), which doesn't make sense for either producer or consumer.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

RAFM “Paige Fox” RAF02819

I painted one up as Lois Lane a while back.

1 hour ago, alchemist said:

Something like this, maybe?

Hide contents

field-reporters.thumb.jpg.bdc0351d9ddc3923e0d30c146110f589.jpg

Thanks y'all! I think I found what I was looking for on thingverse. If it comes out well then I'm golden but if not I'll look into these. Those Malifaux sure are pretty though. Wonder if I could use them for something else... I'm intending on painting it up to look like my friend who does like 95% of photography since I was...14? So just over 15 years now. It will be a gift to her for her birthday.

ETA: I should clarify that /I/ didn't find it but rather a fellow forumite. 

Edited by SparrowMarie
  • Like 14

3 hours ago, Crowley said:
3 hours ago, Crowley said:

Oh FFS... The new alternator... broke. :rolleyes: 

At least it happened before I picked it up...

So the “new” part they installed wasn’t so new?

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, TGP said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was.  As @Doug Sundseth said electronics infant mortality is a significant risk.  But because there are so many of them and the individual potential risk is so low it is easier to just lot test and replace the failures free of charge.  Even components for safety systems: the rules for those require special monitoring and retesting for the first 6 months before they are completely trusted and brought on line.  These are for equipmwnt that is suppose to have a defect rate of less than 1 in 10 million (in today's market that means a bad piece of equipment ever month in some cases.)  Even if you test every other device there is no guarantee that the 'other' device isn't going to fail on opening the box.

Now try telling that to someone who bought a 2 million dollar compresser.  I guarantee you will learn a few new words....

• Like 11

7 hours ago, Marvin said:

Holy crap everything in Pathfinder 2, from design to marketing, looks like a complete dumpster fi--

I mean, good afternoon, e'er'body.

So far today I've had a ruined tire with only about 5k miles on it and a really disappointing rejection to a story.

And it's the hottest say of the year, pretty much. Blah. 

I will happily run a game of that dumpster fire you, any time you want to come to Louisville, or if you will be at Reapercon. 

I actually quite like the system, and has I switch back and forth between running PFS1 and PFS2, I am starting to find less fun running in PFS1, and yearning to get back to 2.

Combats are faster and smoother, there is a lot of customization and interaction between things, and often people have to make tachical choices.

But you can get back to me after a ton of splat books come out, and I've run a bunch of 10th level games. 

1E is having all.thw issues 3.5 at it's end was having, and it's wearing on me.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Honestly not sure if new or refurbished. Either way, not good. 

In addition to old paint, I've pulled out a small bag of mostly old games workshop metal for the melt table. Now I need to figure out what I want for it... (Assuming I don't just snag from the table itself)

• Like 11

7 hours ago, kristof65 said:

I can't even find the thread now...

I wouldn't be surprised if a thread about a new game edition landed in beekeepers.

We gamers get strong feelings about our games.

But I repeat my offer to anyone here. I will run a PF2 game for you at Reapercon, or in Louisville so you can judge for yourself how you like PF2.

1 minute ago, Crowley said:

Honestly not sure if new or refurbished. Either way, not good. 

In addition to old paint, I've pulled out a small bag of mostly old games workshop metal for the melt table. Now I need to figure out what I want for it... (Assuming I don't just snag from the table itself)

So that means you're coming!!!!

Yay!!!!!!!

• Like 12

9 hours ago, Froggy the Great said:

Never mind that someone always has to point out that a foil hat is actually an antenna and makes the mind-control waves more able to penetrate, not less.

I am that hero.

Careful, lest we rend thy thews asunder.

Everyone always puts their focus on external methods to defeat the beams...which are calibrated on the vibration of the average mind. So by changing the vibration of one's mind so that it is outside of the beam's parameters one defeats the beams without any attention grabbing headwear. How does one do this? Simple! Apply an insulating layer of madness! Start talking to your minis, random wildlife, plants,etc, when you can hear them talk back you're in the clear!

Or an alternate method...

It is difficult to control a mind that is already being controlled by something else. So nominate one of your houseplants or pets as your new cult leader, and the constant refrain of "MUST FEED, WATER,PET." in your mental background noise will prevent any of the beam's instructions from taking hold!

Or one could turn oneself over to either Agamenthar Our Coffee God or the Great Pumpkin, or both! Their Holy Might will purge the beams right out of your mind! 

For best effect combine all three and your mind will become an unassailable fortress! 

• Haha 15

You're making me glad that I've kinda just stuck with 3.5 and modded it as I want, and haven't branched heavily into others. We did just get 5e books, and Sir Cyr would run a 5e in the future, but I wasn't going to relearn a system to DM at this point. This is first I've heard bad about 5e though. Did briefly try the Dresden Files game (fate system dice), and didn't particularly care, but that DM was awful.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, TGP said:

I'll playfully say... Ask the Canadian Navy how that new engine for that one Sea King went. 

Yeah, the one that landed sideways.  2003 I think. 

...although that one was determined to be an adjustment screw being adjusted too much, but still. 

In aviation, there's a saying.  Most of the time, you won't have an issue.  It's the first and last 10% of its life you need to worry about the most.  Ever want to make an aircraft maintenance engineer (or equivalent designation in your country) nervous?  Ask him to ride along for the initial shakedown - one of them will be in there anyways, with a computer plugged in, watching for any tiny little discrepancy in readouts.  Pilots also fear that moment too. 

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Thes Hunter said:

So that means you're coming!!!!

Yay!!!!!!!

I am! And not having to go to work means I might actually finish something in time!

Mixed blessing really...

Edited by Crowley
  • Like 9
  • Confused 1