Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

35 minutes ago, Thes Hunter said:

I will happily run a game of that dumpster fire you, any time you want to come to Louisville, or if you will be at Reapercon. 

I actually quite like the system, and has I switch back and forth between running PFS1 and PFS2, I am starting to find less fun running in PFS1, and yearning to get back to 2.

Combats are faster and smoother, there is a lot of customization and interaction between things, and often people have to make tachical choices.

But you can get back to me after a ton of splat books come out, and I've run a bunch of 10th level games. 

1E is having all.thw issues 3.5 at it's end was having, and it's wearing on me.

It sure is... Admittedly, I've always built characters according to what the concept required, which limits which splats to use heavily, but I seem to be one of the few who builds like that.

I'm just afraid PF2 is going to end up looking like GURPS..

and the impact of the playtest was not a positive one over here. :/

• Like 9

37 minutes ago, Thes Hunter said:

I will happily run a game of that dumpster fire you, any time you want to come to Louisville, or if you will be at Reapercon. 

I actually quite like the system, and has I switch back and forth between running PFS1 and PFS2, I am starting to find less fun running in PFS1, and yearning to get back to 2.

Combats are faster and smoother, there is a lot of customization and interaction between things, and often people have to make tachical choices.

But you can get back to me after a ton of splat books come out, and I've run a bunch of 10th level games. 

1E is having all.thw issues 3.5 at it's end was having, and it's wearing on me.

Honestly - that playtest burned any desire to try PF2 right out of us.

So much so that my meek and mild wife gave me an ultimatum.

Sorry, but not only was the dumpster on fire, it was loaded with rotting seafood and toxic waste.

The Auld Grump

Megan summed it up best - it took three times as long to create a character that was half as competent at first level.

Less control over your attributes.

Racial choices that meant less, not more.

Floating skill difficulties that meant that you stayed incompetent, regardless of level.

And resonance was the cherry on top.

Oh, it looks like the waste was not only toxic, it was radioactive....

The Auld Grump - it isworth noting that the local B-a-M! had not sold through the playtest version before the actual core was released.

8 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

It sure is... Admittedly, I've always built characters according to what the concept required, which limits which splats to use heavily, but I seem to be one of the few who builds like that.

I'm just afraid PF2 is going to end up looking like GURPS..

and the impact of the playtest was not a positive one over here. :/

Actually, in some ways it reminded me of Mega. (A game no one remembers.)

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 6

27 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

This is first I've heard bad about 5e though.

5e is, based on sales and enthusiasm, obviously what a lot of people want. It is nothing at all like anything that I want. It falls into a fairly large basket of "Games I Have No Interest In Playing. Ever." (Along with World of Darkness, Call of Cthulhu, 4E, Fate, and recently 3.5.) This is not intended as a knock on any of those games, each of which has a dedicated fan base. But none of them hits a combination of notes that I want from an RPG. 

The same is true for PF2, which loses the things I liked about PF1 while adding cruft that I don't like. I suspect that PF2 will be very pleasing for people who like 5e but want ... more. And good for them, and for Paizo if they manage to build a new customer base without killing the old customer base.

I have my doubts about the latter, but I would never have predicted the success of 5E, so there's that.

• Like 11

Marvin is correct about one thing, Pazio doesn't do a great job on marketing. They really should have come out of the gate and said "the playtest is a load test. We are going to try out our craziest ideas, and keep the stuff that works, and ditch the stuff that didn't." And I feel they have done so. 

2E (which I've been running games of starting at Origins) both feels like the playtest, and not at all like the playtest. Again, I offer to run a game for any here.

And I am running at least 3 2E games at Reapercon. Possibly more. Lol.

• Like 9

I've heard of "killer DMs", but Cyradis is the only one I've heard of who paints up trophies of her victims. 

Then there's the Necromancy and the Vampires....

Either she's a BBEG or she is the most Metal of all of us !

• Like 2
  • Haha 17

I am the bad guys and the NPC allies! Muahahaha! ALL OF THEM! Next week I get to be 37 characters, I think.... 7? About 7 of them are evil. Others are Very Good, Jerks, Frivolous, Drunk, Money-Grubbing, or Flirty.

• Like 3
  • Haha 15

54 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

About 7 of them are evil. Others are Very Good, Jerks, Frivolous, Drunk, Money-Grubbing, or Flirty.

Uh oh, flirty evil villains.  This is truly a horrifying combination! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

54 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

I am the bad guys and the NPC allies! Muahahaha! ALL OF THEM! Next week I get to be 37 characters, I think.... 7? About 7 of them are evil. Others are Very Good, Jerks, Frivolous, Drunk, Money-Grubbing, or Flirty.

Do you need any of your players to show up or will you just spend 4 hours talking to yourself in all the voices?

:rolleyes:

• Haha 18

2 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:
5 hours ago, TGP said:

So the “new” part they installed wasn’t so new?

I'll playfully say... Ask the Canadian Navy how that new engine for that one Sea King went. 

Yeah, the one that landed sideways.  2003 I think. 

...although that one was determined to be an adjustment screw being adjusted too much, but still. 

16 years ago? Long memory much??

Internet says those birds were retired from service eight months ago: Dec. of 2018. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, TGP said:

16 years ago? Long memory much??

Internet says those birds were retired from service eight months ago: Dec. of 2018. 

Unfortunately, various failings for the Sea Kings were a regular occurence.  That one just got a lot of publicity because it kind of happened in the middle of a sendoff.  It's also the first thing that comes to mind as a scenario for "when things go wrong, despite parts being brand new or recently refurbished", at least for me.

...But I've spent a good portion of my life around aviation in general.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Cyradis said:

You're making me glad that I've kinda just stuck with 3.5 and modded it as I want, and haven't branched heavily into others. We did just get 5e books, and Sir Cyr would run a 5e in the future, but I wasn't going to relearn a system to DM at this point. This is first I've heard bad about 5e though. Did briefly try the Dresden Files game (fate system dice), and didn't particularly care, but that DM was awful.

Eh, FATE never appealed to me, either. It just seems too loose for my tastes. 

As for 5e, I know a lot of people who don't have the best opinion of it. But I like it. It's got just enough looseness to the rules to not get bogged down in minutiae, and just enough structure to make it not require a ton of arguing over if something works or not.

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Crowley said:

No, but my boss and I just never clicked. :unsure:

Car's in the garage getting fixed. Few other issues getting taken care of as well. Not sure if I'll be driving home tonight or not. Depends on when the garage calls.

Did pull out my old paint stash...

IMG_20190812_110928__01.thumb.jpg.23c37957950ec471fb1615427546bfa8.jpgIMG_20190812_110855.thumb.jpg.723d3e9f03db7e2ae328210a9c57895e.jpg

And the girls are enjoying their time here.

image.png.dba511a8b9c4e2c3c5b97aa7265cf68b.png

• Haha 20

34 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Uh oh, flirty evil villains.  This is truly a horrifying combination! 

If they catch one doing a spin on the dance floor, they'll notice the knives up the skirt.

33 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Do you need any of your players to show up or will you just spend 4 hours talking to yourself in all the voices?

:rolleyes:

Rotating through the table - the group gets to pick who they interact with. This is loosely inspired by Dragon Age Inquisition's Wicked Hearts quest. Minis are already numbered to tell me who to be in response to them. So they are rather crucial to the whole thing. Otherwise the NPCs are doing their own thing and I'll let them decide if they want to eavesdrop.

• Like 7
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Wooo I finished a figure tonight! Roan Heartwood is a druid and the dog cleric's former master; he was her animal companion before she was slain by vampires. Lovely character. Everyone adored her and she went around healing the land, and spoiling her dog. That's the backstory the cleric gave for his character. I added the ranger's backstory - he is her big brother who wasn't there during the attack. I rolled with it and gave a bit of elaboration in the vampire dungeon. Kinda felt bad about abusing such a lovely character, so I painted a happy memory.

image.thumb.png.e38ee3778f003250471ea0e62d42c9ad.png

It’s a wonderful paintjob, a nice subtle use of pale blues on her garments and a beautiful face with magnificent eyes.

And the vharacter camr to such a sticky end ... ::P:

• Like 10