Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

4 minutes ago, kitchen_wolf said:

The Sea King is probably why my father left the navy.  He has more dead friends than I do - and I'm the combat veteran.

The airplane served in the USN for 45 years, often in very hazardous missions. And it entered service about 15 years after the first operational helicopter. It's amazing that it worked at all, much less serving in front-line service for decades.

I'm not convinced that it was especially dangerous, it was just a helicopter flying long distances over water and very difficult terrain and often with people trying to shoot it down. And there were a whole bunch built over the years. You can autorotate down ... sometimes ..., but if you lose power in the wrong place it's not going to be a good day.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Loim said:

I suppose that depends on how much you like cows. I myself find them to be the third stupidest creatures in creation.

I'm trying to convince myself that I can afford to come down to RCon on Friday and stay until Monday. I've still got two weeks to talk myself into or out of it.

Cows are so stinkin' funny. I love their grumpy cud sounds. But I do love goats more. Such goofballs.

ReaperCon! ReaperCon! ReaperCon!

But I understand the struggle. My love won't be coming so that we can afford for me to go. :unsure:

• Like 8
  • Sad 4

Grrrrrr... :grr:

I had to inform my boss yesterday that yes my doctor LOST some necessary paperwork and now I have to resubmit it AGAIN. Paperwork that technically my work required I have turned in Friday of last week. I have a fresh copy and I will be hand-delivering it to the FMLA coordinator of the hospital. If that doesn't get it done I don't know what will.

This is the medical paperwork I need to even APPLY for the advanced sick leave I'll need for my surgery. Deadline to apply was 15 days out, IE last week.

I am not happy. I am not happy AT ALL.

• Sad 18

Bought a game on Steam. It's going to take ~2 hours to download because our internet is so bad. I'm hoping it's good, it's made by the same people who made Myst and it has a very similar look to it and I /loved/ Myst.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

I'm glad you're enjoying it! I wasn't aiming to be a dick about it or anything. I wish Paizo all the best, etc., though I am pretty bummed about the abandonment of 3x. I didn't have the issues with it other folks did, but I'm pretty unfazed by bloat.

For myself, I will play just about anything (not a fan of Goth stuff like Vampire or wraith or JRPG on paper but that's because I just don't like the setting) they are usually not that hard to learn and if everyone is doing it right, its about the story not the mechanics of the game system.  That said, I am old enough to not want to keep learning new systems so if you want me to run a game of fantasy; its going to be either pathfinder V1, Adnd, or DnD3.5.  These are systems I know and I am familiar enough with to pickup and just run.  I don't really want to spend the time to learn the new systems to the depth I am comfortable at running them, they just aren't different enough.

I also understand why gaming companies have to do this.  You don't make money without publishing new material.  unfortunately, the more you publish on an existing system the more chance you provide for min-max characters to exist and power gamers to ruin the game for others by finding loop holes and creating characters with no weaknesses.  the only real alternative is to publish more campaign material (which has a smaller number of customers) or revise the rules (which has a much broader number of customers, especially if you modify your campaign material to meet the new ruleset).  As it stands, I have enough pathfinder material to outlast the remainder of my days and never repeat so there isn't any real reason for me to change.

However, I am more open when it comes to other systems. I like Numenara.  I am especially fond of how they did their second revision by adding a whole settlement aspect to the game which can significantly change the game, or you can leave it off and still play the original.  7th Sea also did a natural growth progression changing the rules to meet a new time where the world had changed.  These are good ideas and if it works, I can be talked into making exceptions.

But at the end of it, the system doesn't really matter, its what you are comfortable with.  I have played in games of 4e that were a lot of fun, I have played games of pathfinder that were a slog.  what really matters is that everyone agrees to the rules and to the tale you are spinning together.  I get far more annoyed at players who must use every rule they can find to make their character 'the best' or goes looking for maxed out builds on the interwebs.  To me, those people are playing the wrong game. 

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

Bought a game on Steam. It's going to take ~2 hours to download because our internet is so bad. I'm hoping it's good, it's made by the same people who made Myst and it has a very similar look to it and I /loved/ Myst.

Oh yes? What game might that be? *very interested* I too loved Myst, those games were a big part of my childhood! :wub:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, OneBoot said:

Oh yes? What game might that be? *very interested* I too loved Myst, those games were a big part of my childhood! :wub:

Huzzah! 

I don't know but my favorite game to play recently was 'Return of the Obra Dinn'.  That was rather puzzley and a lot of fun putting the mystery together.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

Huzzah! 

It's called Obduction. It says it's sci-fi but it totally doesn't look like it from the screen shots.

1 minute ago, Kangaroorex said:

I don't know but my favorite game to play recently was 'Return of the Obra Dinn'.  That was rather puzzley and a lot of fun putting the mystery together.

I've heard good things about this one too! I think my Sibling has it, might have to set up game sharing again.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

For myself, I will play just about anything (not a fan of Goth stuff like Vampire or wraith or JRPG on paper but that's because I just don't like the setting) they are usually not that hard to learn and if everyone is doing it right, its about the story not the mechanics of the game system.  That said, I am old enough to not want to keep learning new systems so if you want me to run a game of fantasy; its going to be either pathfinder V1, Adnd, or DnD3.5.  These are systems I know and I am familiar enough with to pickup and just run.  I don't really want to spend the time to learn the new systems to the depth I am comfortable at running them, they just aren't different enough.

I also understand why gaming companies have to do this.  You don't make money without publishing new material.  unfortunately, the more you publish on an existing system the more chance you provide for min-max characters to exist and power gamers to ruin the game for others by finding loop holes and creating characters with no weaknesses.  the only real alternative is to publish more campaign material (which has a smaller number of customers) or revise the rules (which has a much broader number of customers, especially if you modify your campaign material to meet the new ruleset).  As it stands, I have enough pathfinder material to outlast the remainder of my days and never repeat so there isn't any real reason for me to change.

However, I am more open when it comes to other systems. I like Numenara.  I am especially fond of how they did their second revision by adding a whole settlement aspect to the game which can significantly change the game, or you can leave it off and still play the original.  7th Sea also did a natural growth progression changing the rules to meet a new time where the world had changed.  These are good ideas and if it works, I can be talked into making exceptions.

But at the end of it, the system doesn't really matter, its what you are comfortable with.  I have played in games of 4e that were a lot of fun, I have played games of pathfinder that were a slog.  what really matters is that everyone agrees to the rules and to the tale you are spinning together.  I get far more annoyed at players who must use every rule they can find to make their character 'the best' or goes looking for maxed out builds on the interwebs.  To me, those people are playing the wrong game. 

Oh, I'd play PF2 or 4th Edition or just about anything if it was what people were around and doing. I still really enjoy 2nd Edition, I like 5e well enough--I enjoyed VtM, for that matter, and some other d10-type systems I've played. Totally agree it's about the story and having fun, though I'm all for powergamers doing their thing too. 3x of course is practically made for doing that, but I liked it anyway. It always made a ton of mathematical sense to me at the simplest level, I think is why. I'unno.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Froggy the Great said:

So does having friends with reliable schedules.

Lol, come on, gtfo of here with that unicorn stuff. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 9
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Loim said:

I suppose that depends on how much you like cows. I myself find them to be the third stupidest creatures in creation.

Cows are actually pretty intelligent. And you can teach them stuff. Sure, mostly stuff that they have an advantage of learning, but still.

(In open plan dairy farms with free-range cows it doesn't take very long for the cws to learn to use the feeder or the milking machine. Most even learn that going to the feeder many times in a short time doesn't result in more food. )

the reason mot people think they're stupid is that they often just doesn't give a darn. 

5 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I have them definitely smarter than cats, horses, and turkeys (both wild and domesticated), at the very least

We had a cat that rang the doorbell when she wanted in. 

I don't think I've ever seen a cow do that... 

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

The airplane served in the USN for 45 years, often in very hazardous missions. And it entered service about 15 years after the first operational helicopter. It's amazing that it worked at all, much less serving in front-line service for decades.

I'm not convinced that it was especially dangerous, it was just a helicopter flying long distances over water and very difficult terrain and often with people trying to shoot it down. And there were a whole bunch built over the years. You can autorotate down ... sometimes ..., but if you lose power in the wrong place it's not going to be a good day.

We still have them flying S&R missions...

330 Squadron still fly them, and judging from the stories about the Augusta/Westland AW101 that's supposed to take over, I think they would rather recommission the old Catalinas...  

By now there's such a shortage on some critical parts that they can't even keep them all operative. When one heli rolls into the hangar for service they strip parts off it and fit onto the one that's about to return to service.

33 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

I have Myst laying around somewhere... on 3.5" floppies... for Mac... 

I also have Riven, the sequel to Myst, somewhere. 

I never really got anywhere in those games. 

• Like 12

20 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Oh, I'd play PF2 or 4th Edition or just about anything if it was what people were around and doing. I still really enjoy 2nd Edition, I like 5e well enough--I enjoyed VtM, for that matter, and some other d10-type systems I've played. Totally agree it's about the story and having fun, though I'm all for powergamers doing their thing too. 3x of course is practically made for doing that, but I liked it anyway. It always made a ton of mathematical sense to me at the simplest level, I think is why. I'unno.

I am a... casual gamer (call it lazy if you want to)  I prefer to let the character grow organically based on what they have been doing and what's happening around them.  Unfortunately, like in first player shooters and MMRPG this doesn't work to well if you are mixing with people who are willing to invest the time to be powergamers,  they wind up always having better rolls, better skills and they always want the game to play to their strengths (when you build a hammer, you want to use nails).  If the group is all power gamers, more power to you.  its when you mix the two that life gets irritating as you have to find encounters that will challenge the power gamers without turning the casual gamers into paste in the first round. 

Its a personal choice and sometimes you have to play the hand your given, I would just prefer a more casual atmosphere.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

... its when you mix the two that life gets irritating....

That's exactly right. Group dynamics are critical and almost any kind of group or game can work as long as the local social contract works.

I like mechanics heavy ('crunchy') games. And in those games, I consider optimizing the mechanics to be a part of the game experience. I also like story telling, but there I don't want mechanics that distract me from the story telling.

For me, in games like 5E there are too many mechanics for the one and not enough for the other.

Edited by Doug Sundseth
  • Like 8