Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

Got home at 11 pm, tried to do some painting. Actual conversation in my house tonight:

Hubby: Did you know there is a gif of someone typing with thier elbows?

Me: Did you know I murder people who talk to me when I'm painting?

Rapidly reached the point of messing up 2 things for every one I fixed.

Will try again tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Sad 18

I got some supposedly waterproof mascara. I need to see if it is onion-proof. As in, I put it on, let it dry, then get myself sobbing with onions.

Next on paint table is actually painting Meaty the Meat Dragon. Uhh... the zombie silver dragon. Gave him ribs tonight.

• Like 14
  • Confused 2

Welp, it turns out that buying dirt for dirt cheap isn't always a good idea. Needed more sand for base filling/minis ballast, so this time I got some from the dollar store instead of the craft store. Only after I'm home and trying to fill several hex bases did I realize that 'scented' is code for 'glue won't soak into this, hahaha'.

Anyone know how to clean sand, or if it's even a viable idea? (Note:my budget for this is pretty close to zero.)

• Sad 6

3 minutes ago, Weird-O said:

Welp, it turns out that buying dirt for dirt cheap isn't always a good idea. Needed more sand for base filling/minis ballast, so this time I got some from the dollar store instead of the craft store. Only after I'm home and trying to fill several hex bases did I realize that 'scented' is code for 'glue won't soak into this, hahaha'.

Anyone know how to clean sand, or if it's even a viable idea? (Note:my budget for this is pretty close to zero.)

Epoxy and rubber cement will infiltrate just about anything.

You might try a hot oven.  The scent us usually carried on a volital wax or oil (Which is water repellent) an oven might vaporize it or cause it to melt off.  Hope you like the sent though your house will smell of it strongly for a few days.

In the future check with a pet store that sells salt water fish.  They may have some sand from a broken aquarium you can have.  A little time and a little bleach and you have clean very fine white sand

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Plan B:

If the paperwork isn't done posthaste your next call is to the Chief Administrator of the Hospital.

When you introduce yourself to the Secretary on the phone use something as follows:

"Good >appropriate time of day< my name is [insert name here] , I'm from the IRS and I'm calling on official business.

Note:  You are from the IRS and the business is official and connected to the IRS.  The fact that it isn't a tax matter but a paperwork foulup on the part of the hospital related to hospital services to be provided to an IRS Employee and paid for by the Employees, Employer Provided Insurance can be made clear during the conversation.

GEM

:lol::lol::lol:

Ah, I wish. But we literally today had yet another "annual" (read: whenever the current administration does Something Dumb) ethics presentation. I can be fired for exactly that.

But yes, I totally would ::P:

• Like 10
  • Sad 3

On 8/12/2019 at 11:10 AM, Morihalda said:

Oooooh. Did I hear breakfast? Share breakfast! :wub:

It’s always Breakfast time somewhere...

original_Panino-con-la-frittata-senza-pa

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

In the "good news is underreported" category, it turns out that when people are in trouble, bystanders on average help out, even at the risk of their own safety, more often than not:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-49295967/is-the-bystander-effect-a-myth

Based on analysis of CCTV footage in multiple countries, so not biased by awareness of watchers and probably less biased by what's "newsworthy" than the usual sorts of studies.

Just look at the case of Hawaiian Shirt Guy in Edmonton.  Awesome guy for doing what he did. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

:lol::lol::lol:

Ah, I wish. But we literally today had yet another "annual" (read: whenever the current administration does Something Dumb) ethics presentation. I can be fired for exactly that.

But yes, I totally would ::P:

Plan C:

Can your HR Department do something like this in order to chivy along the wayward clerks on the other end?

GEM

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

On the subject of cows, I used to work at a maximum security prison where they actually had beef cows roaming around outside. This led to a LOT of bovine humor incidents [usually involving new guys]. But one that was guaranteed to cause a situation, was that when it would get cold the cows would get by the towers on the outer walls and get up against the doors for heat. When it came time to relieve the towers, it would then involve laughter, cursing, threats, car horns, etc to try to get a sleepy, comfortable cow to get away from the door so we could swap officers!

Did no one ever try Pop-tarts!?  My niece could impose her will on bovines using Pop-tarts. 

49 minutes ago, Weird-O said:

I took a recyclable plastic cup (which once contained water) that cost me nothing because the fast food joint it came from charges $0 for water. At the edge of a carpark (US: parking lot) I spied a small drift of rain washed sand/silt. I grabbbed the cup, shoved it in like a scoop, packed it full of sand and got back in my truck. I left the cup in the truck for several days during a Texas summer. Pretty sure nothing lived through that. 

So:

—free plastic cup +

—free rain-washed silt +

—free sunlight

:B):

• Like 12

9 hours ago, Argentee said:

*collapses into the forum near tears* I'm going to have to try and finish my entries at Reapercon. My mother needs full time care and refuses to hire anyone and she is running me ragged. 

***Hugs***

As an innocent bystander I will say something that might sound harsh.

Her decision not to hire anyone to help her does not mean it has automatically become your job.

Meaning, convince her that she's killing you like this and that she at least needs to hire partial help before you collaps and she is left with nobody.

8 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

Welp... So much for that game, it just auto crashes as soon as I start it up.

This might be completely wrong.

But I have had this happen a few times with new games.

I forgot I was running Bitdefender on my PC and you need to whitelist a new program or else it will not go further than the startscreen.

Could be totally wrong here, but I thought I mentioned it just in case.

5 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

listens-to-heavy-metal-once-32196304.png.5ebd102e4c163d9e11747c0e3a8785b0.png

And she already looks better!

:wub:

1 hour ago, Weird-O said:

Maybe cook the stuff , hoping it will separate so you can have normal sand again?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Bah!

As I suspected, leaving my ghost mini overnight did not magically cause it's coat of Nighthaunt Gloom paint to do whatever special effect it was supposed to do.

Gotta think of a new colour scheme now, and stick to just buying washes from Games Workshops paint range in future.

• Like 6

Is Nighthawk Gloam one of these new contrast paints inks ??

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:
8 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

listens-to-heavy-metal-once-32196304.png.5ebd102e4c163d9e11747c0e3a8785b0.png

And she already looks better!

:wub:

I actually think she looks prettier in the second pic, too.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8