Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

Just now, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

You like muzak? Because that's how we ended up with it! 

Sure it started off as Stimulus Progression to increase productivity, and an early attempt at mind control, but thanks to Jack Parsons mucking around in the desert, a crack was formed, something came through, and due to William Benton not knowing his #%% from a hole in the ground, it got trapped in the background loops and is still there, feeding off of people's despair over hearing the music they once enjoyed having it's soul sucked out! 

You want to hear the fun part? It was Ted Nugent of all people who came closest to banishing the thing when he tried to buy Muzak and shut it down in 86. 

Yep, Ted Nugent, defending us from Elder Things from the Outer Darkness! (there is a comic book idea in here, or at the very least a diorama...)

(Again, should probably purple this....)

Ah, now I understand. You don't have your hands on the dials of the controllers.

Not that I do, of course. Never happen. I don't even know the combination to the door of the control room.

Nope. Nope. Nope.

Definitely not.

• Haha 12

22 hours ago, Marvin said:

I'm glad you're enjoying it! I wasn't aiming to be a dick about it or anything. I wish Paizo all the best, etc., though I am pretty bummed about the abandonment of 3x. I didn't have the issues with it other folks did, but I'm pretty unfazed by bloat.

Though, the way they have structured the story and plot of the 2E scenarios, it makes you want to go back and play the content in 1E.

Even though I was just gripping about 1E (maybe because my 2 most recent experiences are in games where there was both a gunslinger and a kinectist, and they were doing on average 125 points of ranged damage a round vs touch ac at an 8-9 subtier)  I'm still in it for the plot. I haven't yet decided to check out and just voraciously consume the back story by reading everything. We will see if that changes 

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

I have a very specific internal translation for the term 'Rules Lawyer', and it is 'that guy who uses the rules to attempt to screw the GM, or skew the game in their favor'. If he is the GM, there's a decent chance he's going to use the rules to screw over the players in some way. I have encountered a few of these; and if you can get them to use their skills to help you, they are good people to have around. 

I suspect that a lot of so-called rules lawyers are actually autistic, or have some similar shift in the brain wiring that makes learning book stuff easy, and learning social skills difficult. Books are, after all, entirely easier to read than people. :/

I have so far dealt with exactly one who could be trusted to use those skills neutrally, and thus, is among the players I trust to remember dodgy bits of math that I am terrible at, whether that dodgy bit of math runs in favor of the GM, or of the players. Not always great at recalling the dodgy bits of story, though. 

That being said, my exposure is somewhat limited. 

Autistic is a possibility, but I've also run into my share of narcissists. Some of them had pathologic narcissistic tendencies because of poor self esteem, to which I can relate, but they still ground the game down to a halt, or made the environment unbareable with their attempts to use their rule knowledge to either get something special and extra from the gm (breaking the game) or when they are the GM, using some minutiae to screw over the players. All to temporarily satisfy the gapping hole that is inside of them left by thier injured ego.

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Froggy the Great said:

Zog.

ZOG I the Albanian King?

image.png.b34acb699f26270dc8a3af94f9c28142.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

I finally have internet again. You don't realize how much you rely on it until it's not there :unsure:

My 8 yr old daughter had a meltdown over this last night when she couldn't watch YouTube. 

I was installing a new router, which meant completely disassembling and reorganizing my network cabinet, so the house was without internet for a couple hours.  The meltdown came after I had plugged my computer into the new router and was trying to properly get the DSL modem into bridge mode - it seemed unfair to her that I was getting to use my browser. 

3 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Dang it, now I want Izzy to make a metalhead Sophie. :lol:

I didn't know I wanted this until just now...

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

My 8 yr old daughter had a meltdown over this last night when she couldn't watch YouTube. 

I was installing a new router, which meant completely disassembling and reorganizing my network cabinet, so the house was without internet for a couple hours.  The meltdown came after I had plugged my computer into the new router and was trying to properly get the DSL modem into bridge mode - it seemed unfair to her that I was getting to use my browser. 

I'm certain I threw similar fits when I was that age and couldn't watch Smurfs(tm).

But oh my goodness the youtube fits...

Also:

YouTuber ==> You Tuber! ==> You Are a Potato! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 12

RE: Rules Lawyers/Power Gamers:

in 25 years, i still haven't figured out how to classify these two guys we used to play 40k 2e with. 

They would quote rules during game play - when they joined the group, they were literally quoting various rules exactly as written.  After they'd been playing with us a while, they started quoting rules that didn't exist, and even referencing page numbers.   It took us several months to realize they had gone from being precise to bull-brocolliing us. 

• Haha 15
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, TGP said:

Is Nighthawk Gloam one of these new contrast paints inks ??

No, it's an earlier Technical paint, but I think it was supposed to work the same way.

I was supposed to get a ghostly effect if I painted it over white, instead I got a solid coat of blue/grey something.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 3

11 minutes ago, Froggy the Great said:

Zog.

Close, but That Which Dwells in the Muzak comes from a place which does not have vowels. Please don't attempt to discern it's True Name here or you'll draw it onto the forum. 

20 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

ZOG I the Albanian King?

image.png.b34acb699f26270dc8a3af94f9c28142.png

No connection to Muzak, Corrupt Santa, or Cinnamon Coke, but his treasure hoard was said to contain the Ring of Thoth-Amon. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

27 minutes ago, aku-chan said:

No, it's an earlier Technical paint, but I think it was supposed to work the same way.

I was supposed to get a ghostly effect if I painted it over white, instead I got a solid coat of blue/grey something.

You obviously didn't apply it correctly. Did you offer a proper sacrifice to your preferred GW Chaos god while applying it? That's where most people go wrong. 

• Haha 11

My 12 & 10 year old daughters have finally warmed up to the idea of decluttering their room.  This is awesome, but the assistance role is interfering with my painting time...

Hopefully they don't lose interest before they finish the job.  The 12 year old is a strict taskmistress and for once her younger sister is tolerating it, so there's hope.  

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Thes Hunter said:
13 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

I have a very specific internal translation for the term 'Rules Lawyer', and it is 'that guy who uses the rules to attempt to screw the GM, or skew the game in their favor'. If he is the GM, there's a decent chance he's going to use the rules to screw over the players in some way. I have encountered a few of these; and if you can get them to use their skills to help you, they are good people to have around. 

I suspect that a lot of so-called rules lawyers are actually autistic, or have some similar shift in the brain wiring that makes learning book stuff easy, and learning social skills difficult. Books are, after all, entirely easier to read than people. :/

Autistic is a possibility, but I've also run into my share of narcissists. Some of them had pathologic narcissistic tendencies because of poor self esteem, to which I can relate, but they still ground the game down to a halt, or made the environment unbareable with their attempts to use their rule knowledge to either get something special and extra from the gm (breaking the game) or when they are the GM, using some minutiae to screw over the players. All to temporarily satisfy the gapping hole that is inside of them left by thier injured ego.

And we're back around to brain wiring. :/   You're probably correct; I just haven't run into one of those. At least, not as far as I can tell, but... again, small sample size. ^^;

... eventually, I really need to find out why my enter key - both of htem! - takes vacations while I'm attempting to post. 

• Like 7

Purple looks darker and more solid if the letters are also bolded. 

Purple is simple to do. 

The [square] bracketed bbcode that this interface will accept is simplified. If you get close it will supply the fussy punctuation. The basic tag is: [color...xxxxxx] where the eXes are numbers and the three dots are a space character. You gotta have six numbers. The middle numbers should be zeros [xx00xx]. The first two numbers are the Red value. The last two numbers are the Blue value. Zero is always black, low numbers are very dark. [990099] is a very bright purple. Drop away from 9’s to get darker hues. 

The numbers are hexadecimal, but values above 9 are really bright and become hard to see against white. It is also possible to substitute the word “purple” for the numbers. That results in a very bright hue. It might be = to [AA00AA]. Mixing redder or bluer purples is possible by making the red or blue numbers different. Making one a higher (brighter) value shifts the purple toward red or blue. The brightest possible purple is [FF00FF].

Every color tag needs to be closed! A closing tag looks like: [/colour] just leave out the British “u”. (NB: square brackets can be used all over the place as long as a valid tag is avoided.)

This PSA brought to you by SPÜÜ.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Old news, but I just found an arrangement for lute, harp, and hurdy-gurdy of the sheet music printed on the butt of one of the damned souls in Heironymous Bosch's "Garden of Earthly Delights".  It's on youtube.

• Like 6
  • Haha 9
  • Confused 1