Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

It seems humans sized penguins were a thing once.

https://phys.org/news/2019-08-giant-penguin-fossil-zealand.html

& Reaper & Jason Wiebe are on this:

03870_w_1.jpg

Gonna be a interesting time at game night tonight. I've yet to get any sleep after working last night. Just not tired. Pluses for night off!!

1 hour ago, OneBoot said:

:lol: I like the way you think. 

I doubt that the airline staff would be as amused, though. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Just tell them it's a "Emotional Support animal".  :winkthumbs:

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I've always thought the cover of black box was one of the most evocative game covers ever, so I decided to use it for inspiration. And since S&V really supports in medias res openings, it seemed an apposite time.

I haven't decided whether to even mention that cover to the players, though. 

The first advertisement I saw for GURPS Traveller... blew me away.

"Free Trader Beowulf...
Come in, Free Trader Beowulf... Can you hear me?
Come in, Free Trader Beowulf...
...hang in there, Beowulf, help is on the way!"

It brought tears to my eyes.

After MegaTraveller and Traveller: the New Era... it felt like coming home. (I am not a huge fan of GURPS - but it ws obvious that Steve Jackson Games got it. In a way that later GDW editions of Traveller just didn't seem to have.)

The Auld Grump
Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 10

Megan is off, getting things for the retreat, leaving me home with the highly energetic Brigid... who promptly fell asleep. <_<

No kids game tonight, and I finished everything for the game at the retreat weeks ago.

Leaves me... strangely unsettled.

The Auld Grump - not exactly bored, more a feeling that I should be doing something, even though everything is ready to go.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, kristof65 said:

On one hand, the local cable company sends me promotional offers to switch my internet to them on a weekly basis. 

On the other hand, I can't get anyone from the cable company on the phone to discuss these offers. 

Sounds like me after I tried to switch to Time Warner back in the day. I would get ads, the house used to have service from them years ago, but going to their website told me I couldn't set up an account online because they "weren't sure I was in their service area" and I had to call. So I'd call, and I'd be on hold for an hour, and then it would disconnect. Then I'd sign up online for their "we'll call you to set up the account" feature, and they would never call. But I'd get ads all the time saying I should switch. So I just gave up on trying.

Then a few years later the ISP I did have finally got even worse than it was, to the point where it was nearly back to being on dialup again. So I tried again. And that time it worked! And I have been a happy customer ever since then because I have Internet that's functional and fairly speedy. It's not everything I want, but it's good enough.

• Like 11

Two of the 3 figures are now on my diorama base... I will have to repair the damage that occurred to them while placing them tomorrow.

• Like 11

Cognitive dissonance time, an unpleasant thing with a goofy-sounding name.

The ancient Mesopotamians had a custom of a “substitute king.” When bad omens foresaw death for the king the priests would pick some poor schnook (always someone of low birth with next to no influence, and one official recommended always choosing someone who was a bit simple), rename him with the king’s name, hold a coronation, give him a queen, and feast and fête the two of them like royalty for a hundred days while the real king took care of state business on the down low..

After a hundred days the substitutes got the chop (or possibly poison, it’s a little vague) and a magnificent state funeral. The omens would be satisfied and the real king would re-emerge.

The cognitive dissonance is in the Akkadian-Mesopotamian word for “substitute king.”

It’s “Shar Pookie.”

IT SOUNDS LIKE SOMEONE’S PET CAT!

• Like 2
  • Haha 16
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Dang it, now I want Izzy to make a metalhead Sophie. :lol:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

I like the way you think, plus I think she'd do an awesome job!

• Like 9

On 8/14/2019 at 4:21 AM, Gadgetman! said:

We had a cat that rang the doorbell when she wanted in. 

I don't think I've ever seen a cow do that... 

One time my father heard a rattling at the front door. He opened the door and found the cat hanging on the handle pressing on the lever with her paw. If the door hadn't been locked, she may have been able to open it...

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, sumbloke said:

One time my father heard a rattling at the front door. He opened the door and found the cat hanging on the handle pressing on the lever with her paw. If the door hadn't been locked, she may have been able to open it...

My folks had a miniature poodle who would let himself in and out by using his leash attached to the front door knob to pull the door open.  The auto-closer would shut the door just to the point where the latch touched the striker plate and Koko would just nose the door open to let himself back in.

GEM

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pingo said:

Cognitive dissonance time, an unpleasant thing with a goofy-sounding name.

The ancient Mesopotamians had a custom of a “substitute king.” When bad omens foresaw death for the king the priests would pick some poor schnook (always someone of low birth with next to no influence, and one official recommended always choosing someone who was a bit simple), rename him with the king’s name, hold a coronation, give him a queen, and feast and fête the two of them like royalty for a hundred days while the real king took care of state business on the down low..

After a hundred days the substitutes got the chop (or possibly poison, it’s a little vague) and a magnificent state funeral. The omens would be satisfied and the real king would re-emerge.

I wonder if L. Sprague deCamp read ^  about this business and it inspired his stories about The Unbeheaded King. 

2 hours ago, Pingo said:

The cognitive dissonance is in the Akkadian-Mesopotamian word for “substitute king.”

It’s “Shar Pookie.”

IT SOUNDS LIKE SOMEONE’S PET CAT!

I would never name a cat Sharpookie. 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, paintybeard said:

Portrait-of-george-washington-taking-the-salute-at-trenton-john-faed.thumb.jpg.dc69f0ff022b952596a170a10accffb2.jpg

Has anyone else noticed the expression on the horse?  I realize it's probably stuffed but 'what have I done with my life to end up here' seems to cover it pretty well. :blink:

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, TGP said:

I wonder if L. Sprague deCamp read ^  about this business and it inspired his stories about The Unbeheaded King. 

Almost certainly - he was very much into histories. (As was the late and much missed Sir Terry Pratchett - see also the King of the Bean.)

In particular, look for his excellent The Ancient Engineers. The paperback can be found secondhand fairly easily - from the 1970s, when it was given a Von Däniken style cover.... (The book is the exact opposite of Von Däniken - human engineers, often with actual names attached, since in the real world these things were recorded....)

*EDIT* The offending cover -

olcovers638-L.zip&file=6381667-L.jpg&ext

68405574_10157900576714665_4147444081439

I think Ronald Searle would have approved.

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 5
  • Haha 7