Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

6 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

I am entirely too easily entertained by my nail polish right now... holo-glitter is very hypnotic...

I swear, some of my customers have moved their nail polish racks into higher visibility areas and made sure hot and neon pinks, as well as darker oranges are niiiice and visible to the coffee delivery guy... 

Only one of two things save me from this... 

- it's the day before payday, or

- I remember I don't do my nails, so have no need for nail polish, no matter how epic of a shade it is. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

13 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

I'd have some serious concerns about the durability of any work done by a dentist whose working chair was so poorly made that a client sitting in it could cause its failure.  Dental Chairs need to be made out of appropriately padded steel, of sufficient weight and design to take the full force of somebody in full berserker strength without damage or failure.

GEN

On whom most dental anesthetics are absolutely ineffective.

Well, it was a military dentist, so the chair was either quality made by the lowest bidder, or it was Civil War surplus...

12 hours ago, haldir said:

The last line of the story says it all:

"After nearly 40 years," the band's release said, "Slayer apparently remains as terrifying to some as ever."

9 hours ago, haldir said:

Speaking of Banff, did anyone see that story in regards to the wolf attack & some good samaritan saved a dad's life? Crazy story. You WOOF people keep your troops in line!! :;):

Yeah, I saw that.<_<

Rant inbound. Don't read it if you think the wolf is the bad guy here.

Crap story. Depending on which version you read, you might be lucky to get a tiny paragraph at the very bottom where they mention that the animal in question was old and sick, which might help to explain the behavior, and that this is a

very rare occurrence. Normal, healthy wolves DO NOT attack humans. They actually do all they can to stay away from them ( see? They are smart)

Instead, they did all they could to play up the 'Big, Bad Wolf' aspect. Just what an animal that's back and forth on the extinction list needs, an article giving a bunch of dumb-broccoli humans 'the reason they need' to go and 'kill off that there evil critter'. :grr:

Also, at least in the version I read (NBC news.com) there was no mention of any details other than they were in the woods. Even sick, I have a hard time believing that this animal decided to just randomly attack this group of people. The good Samaritan in the story was fairly close by, why didn't he get attacked instead? Just the luck of the draw? Where was the family keeping their food? /

Nothing to see, weird formatting shenanigans....

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Coffee...

The city moved my car again. Apparently they're doing some roadwork where I originally parked. I got SUPER LUCKY that they moved it to my usual dog walking path... So I was able to move it out of the 1 Hour Metered Parking spot they'd dumped it in. :grr: FFS....

???

Is this an overseas thing?

Nobody tows my car away from a legal spot like that.

How? Why?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Maybe just a big city thing?

I've never experienced that myself.

So the city just randomly comes by and tows your car away? How does that work? I'm sure it's gotta be legal (somehow), but it doesn't seem right....

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

The World Science Fiction Convention is in Dublin, Ireland this weekend.

I’m not there, but I’m following it on social media.

Someone has STROOPWAFFELS!

https://mobile.twitter.com/mariekeyn/status/1162640838473723904

Unfortunately they make the Guinness taste peculiar.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, paintybeard said:

Unfortunately they make the Guinness taste peculiar.

Beer first then Stroopwafels.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

That's the good stuff!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Crowley said:

Coffee...

The city moved my car again. Apparently they're doing some roadwork where I originally parked. I got SUPER LUCKY that they moved it to my usual dog walking path... So I was able to move it out of the 1 Hour Metered Parking spot they'd dumped it in. :grr: FFS....

Really??  I've seen them tow cars to an impound yard.  I have also seen them tow cars to a parking lot and leave a note as to where it was put but his is the first time I have heard of the city moving a car to a random location and just wandering away.  

Did they pay for the first hour?  Sorry I had to ask.  You really need a break!

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

???

How? Why?

As to why., I'm guessing right of way and they needed to do emergency repairs.  Waterworks are the usual culprit when they are trying to find a break.

36 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Maybe an Oreo thing 'ice cold beer and a Belgian stroopwafel, they together go forever...' 

It could be a thing::P:

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

For me it tends to be beer first... then more beer.

• Like 10

Here they'll do towing, but it's because the road I live on has no parking zones during certain times of the day - 07:00-09:00 on the one side (that happens to lead towards downtown), and then again from 15:30-18:00 (on the side that leads out of downtown).  But outright moving your vehicle from one spot to another, one would think they'd at least provide some sort of warning.  Residential streets out here had temporary no parking signs put out about a week before the sewer line renewal project started, although Standard General took their time in getting actual signs up in the area that they were doing the work, and that you could park from 17:30-07:00 on residential roads (since half the buildings in the area do not have driveways, and about a third only have a single car garage in the alleyways)

• Like 6

Teenage daughter did her first actual driving of a motor vehicle yesterday, toodling around an empty parking lot.  Really looking forward to when she's ready to actually drive on a road, these destination outings are hard to find time for.  

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:

Really??  I've seen them tow cars to an impound yard.  I have also seen them tow cars to a parking lot and leave a note as to where it was put but his is the first time I have heard of the city moving a car to a random location and just wandering away.  

Did they pay for the first hour?  Sorry I had to ask.  You really need a break!

As to why., I'm guessing right of way and they needed to do emergency repairs.  Waterworks are the usual culprit when they are trying to find a break.

Maybe an Oreo thing 'ice cold beer and a Belgian stroopwafel, they together go forever...' 

It could be a thing::P:

DUTCH! ::P:

Belgium are our neighbours, they have those big waffles you put fruits and icecream on.

Also yummie!

And normally you eat one with a hot beverage.

If you insist on eating one with beer, then drink the beer first and then eat the waffle.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pingo said:

Agents of W.O.O.F on the move...

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

???

How? Why?

@Unruly makes his...

2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Maybe just a big city thing?

I've never experienced that myself.

So the city just randomly comes by and tows your car away? How does that work? I'm sure it's gotta be legal (somehow), but it doesn't seem right....

...living doing exactly this sort of thing. 

:upside:

Paying people to watch a car is a thing...or so I’ve heard.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

DUTCH! ::P:

Belgium are our neighbours, they have those big waffles you put fruits and icecream on.

Also yummie!

And normally you eat one with a hot beverage.

If you insist on eating one with beer, then drink the beer first and then eat the waffle.

Apologies.  They also make my favorite beers of all time.  I should know the difference since we have a plant in the Rotterdam and I may still get the opportunity to get over there some time in the next few years.   I have made a few trips there in the past, but mainly just a day or so in Amsterdam

I do like a Stroopwaffel though.  I wish they were more common around here. 

11 minutes ago, TGP said:

Agents of W.O.O.F on the move...

@Unruly makes his...

...living doing exactly this sort of thing. 

:upside:

Paying people to watch a car is a thing...or so I’ve heard.

But I think @Unruly tends to lock them up or ship them off to the impound yard.  If I had the job that allowed me to move cars around the city, i dont know that I would be able to resist playing three card monty with my friends cars.  (heck, I couldn't resist doing that when I had a friend with a car light enough for 4 people to lift, give me a job that allows me to do it and we'd be playing hide the volkswagon on a daily basis)

• Like 10
  • Haha 2