Sign in to follow this  
Froggy the Great

Randomness XV: 'tis a silly place.

9 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

Apologies.  They also make my favorite beers of all time.  I should know the difference since we have a plant in the Rotterdam and I may still get the opportunity to get over there some time in the next few years.   I have made a few trips there in the past, but mainly just a day or so in Amsterdam

I do like a Stroopwaffel though.  I wish they were more common around here. 

But I think @Unruly tends to lock them up or ship them off to the impound yard.  If I had the job that allowed me to move cars around the city, i dont know that I would be able to resist playing three card monty with my friends cars.  (heck, I couldn't resist doing that when I had a friend with a car light enough for 4 people to lift, give me a job that allows me to do it and we'd be playing hide the volkswagon on a daily basis)

No problem!

In fact Belgium was part of the Netherlands in the past till they said goodbye ( and not in a friendly way!).

I understand when cars get towed that are illegally parked, but on a legal spot in front of your home?

I don't get that, unless there was given a warning about construction or something in advance!

• Like 5

Ugh, what a rough couple of days.  Son is moving into an apartment at his university for his last year of a civil engineering degree, so we have spent the last few days getting ready for that.  He spent the previous years living with his grandparents, but he is ready to live on his own now. About ready to start filling up the car.  We also needed his help moving done furniture around to make space for new display cabinets, so I had to empty out several other pieces of furniture. 

My heart is telling me it is displeased, I am having an Afib (Atrial fibrillation) attack right now, the second one in two days.  Hope it resolves soon. 

My medications have not been keeping it under control.  I am headed to Mayo Clinic tomorrow to get their initial assessment for an ablation procedure. Monday morning at 6:50 AM I have my first test, then it's test after test one after another until noon, then Tuesday I will see the doctor.  Hopefully surgery sometime this fall, I am really ready to have my heart work properly again.

• Like 8
  • Sad 9

Yeah, the difference between what Unruly does and Crowley's situation is that I'd be willing to bet that Crowley was parked legally.

@Citrine--take care of yourself! I hope that everything works out in the best possible way for you.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I swear, some of my customers have moved their nail polish racks into higher visibility areas and made sure hot and neon pinks, as well as darker oranges are niiiice and visible to the coffee delivery guy... 

Only one of two things save me from this... 

- it's the day before payday, or

- I remember I don't do my nails, so have no need for nail polish, no matter how epic of a shade it is. 

This is a lovely ocean-blue that goes over rainbows thanks to the holo-glitter suspended in it. 

I do have, I think, a red, but for some reason, the reds don't do the rainbow shimmer as well as some of the other shades.

Side note; absolutely nothing stops you painting your nails if you want to.

• Like 8

Air & Water Show is on downtown. We’re right under the flight path.

Thought I heard old prop planes but it was just big ol black military helicopters. 

WOOOO! Old WWII prop planes just did a turnaround just north of us!

• Like 11

I have a pic of our backyard with three tiny distant smudgy “X”s in formation. :lol:

• Like 6

5 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I swear, some of my customers have moved their nail polish racks into higher visibility areas and made sure hot and neon pinks, as well as darker oranges are niiiice and visible to the coffee delivery guy... 

Only one of two things save me from this... 

- it's the day before payday, or

- I remember I don't do my nails, so have no need for nail polish, no matter how epic of a shade it is. 

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

???

Is this an overseas thing?

Nobody tows my car away from a legal spot like that.

How? Why?

4 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Maybe just a big city thing?

I've never experienced that myself.

So the city just randomly comes by and tows your car away? How does that work? I'm sure it's gotta be legal (somehow), but it doesn't seem right....

3 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

Really??  I've seen them tow cars to an impound yard.  I have also seen them tow cars to a parking lot and leave a note as to where it was put but his is the first time I have heard of the city moving a car to a random location and just wandering away.  

Did they pay for the first hour?  Sorry I had to ask.  You really need a break!

As to why., I'm guessing right of way and they needed to do emergency repairs.  Waterworks are the usual culprit when they are trying to find a break.

Maybe an Oreo thing 'ice cold beer and a Belgian stroopwafel, they together go forever...' 

It could be a thing::P:

Okay, so I was parked in a legal spot, that at the time of parking had no signs indicating that there was street work to be done there. At some point between when I parked there (Tuesday night), and this morning, the city decided that, yes, in fact they needed to work exactly where my car is. Also, other cars parked by my car had the same notice under the windshield wiper, so not just where I was, but probably the whole block. So they moved my car to a stretch of block where no one was parked. It just happened to be along a 1 hour metered side of the block. Thankfully the metering doesn't start till 9am, and the city moved my car to a spot that just happens to be on my block, so I saw it while walking the girls first thing this morning. So, seeing it, I moved it to a spot that should be safe till Tuesday morning.

This is actually the second time this has happened to me. The first time they only moved the car right around the block. Like, literally one spot over from the corner where I was parked. The thing is, you don't get any notice, so... I'd have ended up calling the police to report my car stolen if I hadn't seen it. 

But yeah, not what I want to see first thing before coffee. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 5

26 minutes ago, Citrine said:

Thanks @Chaoswolf.

Hubby and son are loading the car, while I am laying on the couch like a useless blob ::(:

Being a blob is useful if it keeps you alive.  And I suspect everyone involved shares that goal.  Just remember to give your son a hug!  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

Being a blob is useful if it keeps you alive.  And I suspect everyone involved shares that goal.  Just remember to give your son a hug!  

Thanks @LittleBluberry, I did get up and give him a hug and waved when he drove off.

Luckily the Afib attack only lasted an hour this time.

• Like 12

@Citrine hope they can get that under control.

@Crowley shoudn't/ isn't there a law or something that forces the city to give notice beforehand?

It sounds very strange to me, but maybe that's because I'm Dutch..

• Like 8

I got /a lot/ of sleep last night, somewhere in the realm of 11-12 hours. Had to take extra drugs to get me to sleep but I finally did. Also, thankfully, Husband called me at about 8:30 this morning to remind me to give the cat her medicine, I would have totally slept through it because I thought I had another alarm.

Today I am:

• Backing up computer files as I found a 128 GB thumb drive around the house that was totally empty.
  • Clearing out the trash that I didn't have room for before trash day. We really probably should get a bigger can for a while.
  • Dishes, they are slowly but steadily getting done.
  • Reorganize like the whole kitchen.
  • Unpack and organize the bathroom.
  • ...Probably something else I'm forgetting.
  • And maybe if I have time I'll paint.
  • Like 12

2 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

This is a lovely ocean-blue that goes over rainbows thanks to the holo-glitter suspended in it. 

I do have, I think, a red, but for some reason, the reds don't do the rainbow shimmer as well as some of the other shades.

Side note; absolutely nothing stops you painting your nails if you want to.

Oh yeah, I have no problem with painting nails, I've just never, uhm, done such. 

Work doesn't really care, but for me I think it's one of those not having a clue where to start aaaand I just like looking at the pretty, and vibrant, colours ^_^;;;;

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

@Citrine hope they can get that under control.

@Crowley shoudn't/ isn't there a law or something that forces the city to give notice beforehand?

1814004741_NonPoliticalPost.png.0183bab9955dacc145777aa4e5725332.png

I do believe that Crowley is dealing with the Byzantine and Arbitrary bureaucracy of  NEW YORK CITY.

"New York City" is a special place, with special attitudes, both on the part of the inhabitants and in how much of the rest of the country views both The City and those who live there.

There have been whole advertising campaigns built around these attitudes, both positive and [especially] negative.

It's a cultural thing that is sometimes hard for those not living here {USA} to fully understand.

GEM

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TGP said:

@Unruly makes his...

...living doing exactly this sort of thing. 

:upside:

Paying people to watch a car is a thing...or so I’ve heard.

Not quite. 

5 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

But I think @Unruly tends to lock them up or ship them off to the impound yard. 

Yup. When we call a tow truck for a car, that car is getting impounded, not moved a block away. But we also try to avoid towing as much as possible because it's a hassle for everyone. We usually just give their car some shiny orange jewelry. Unless they're one of the people who has messed with the jewelry in the past. Those people get towed instantly.

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I understand when cars get towed that are illegally parked, but on a legal spot in front of your home?

I don't get that, unless there was given a warning about construction or something in advance!

There are times when being parked legally doesn't matter. I remember one night when I was the PD desk clerk, they had to tow like 4 cars because a water main broke and the utility board needed to tear up the street underneath those cars to fix it. I think the city paid for those ones, though, because the people who got towed were towed by no fault of their own.

2 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Around here they tend to put signs on the street giving at least 48 hours of notice for road work and such. From what @Crowley said he parked the car on Tuesday, and other cars in the area had notices on their windshield. It's entirely possible that a notice was placed on his windshield sometime between Tuesday and last night, and since Crowley hadn't needed to move his car he just didn't notice it. I know that around here the people who leave their cars for days at a time don't tend to pay attention once they've parked, so even when a sign has been up for a week we still get angry calls when they get towed because the street is being paved or whatever.

What I'm more surprised by is the fact that they didn't impound the car, they just moved it to where there was available parking. We don't do that one here.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1