ManvsMini

Raise your hand if it's snowing

I was hoping we were done for the year BUT....

IMG_8016.thumb.JPG.b62cfbd3a027c6aecdfda83b4a7232cf.JPG

Photo out kitchen window of the neighbour's house and street. Took one of the backyard but the camera focused on the screen and not the trees. Looks like about 6" on the ground, coming down in huge wet flakes and very windy. Travel not advised in a block from just east of me to 200km north and to the Alberta border (about 400 km). ::(: Northern Montana a bit south of me getting it too.

• Sad 7

1 minute ago, Zink said:

I was hoping we were done for the year BUT....

IMG_8016.thumb.JPG.b62cfbd3a027c6aecdfda83b4a7232cf.JPG

Photo out kitchen window of the neighbour's house and street. Took one of the backyard but the camera focused on the screen and not the trees. Looks like about 6" on the ground, coming down in huge wet flakes and very windy. Travel not advised in a block from just east of me to 200km north and to the Alberta border (about 400 km). ::(: Northern Montana a bit south of me getting it too.

Come and pay for my fare if you love me,

I will hasten to bid you adieu....

Say farewell to the Red River Valley,

And the folks that are shiverin' and blue.

Oh, it's forty below in the winter,

And it's twenty below in the fall.

And it rises to zero in spring time,

But we ain't got no summers at all....

(With no apologies to Slim Whitman, whatsoever.)

The Auld Grump

We had a very slight sprinkling of snow last night - no accumulation.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Well, just stay warm Zink

It's not all that cold, above freezing but I'm not going anywhere. I'd like to give the cows and calves a bit of feed and something dry to sleep on but they're 20 miles from here. Last time I was caught in a storm like this it took me 1.5 hours to drive that far so they'll just have to tough it out for a day. I don't feel like spending a day stuck in the ditch or making someone else pull my stupid butt out. Time to go paint some more minis I think. The kids are hoping that they won't have school tomorrow. This is the last day of a 10 day break for them. :rolleyes:

• Like 6

If there's one thing I learned when I moved to the coast it's that milder temps mean heavier snow.  Hope it melts quickly for you Zink!

• Like 5

Highway's officially closed for 55 km north from here.  Never left the house but it's got to be bad because I've almost never seen that before. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

We apparently got a few inches through the weekend.  Wonder what it looks like out there right now.  Probably should check instead of just going "eh, I'm a delivery driver, I'll wear shorts" ^_^;;;

• Haha 3

IMG_8049.thumb.JPG.7d8dc0d2b6fe1d7bdc458b46db826244.JPG

IMG_8050.thumb.JPG.734a3f3e929e36e9181c47552feb5075.JPG

View from the kitchen window again and the back yard. Looks purty. The area under the time stamp out to the tracks is my driveway. I looked at it checked the school info (closed today), checked the highway info (open but poor east and north of town, travel not advised west. Guess which direction to the farm?), ate breakfast and think I'm going back to bed. In a couple hours me and the kids will try to tackle the driveway. That much knee deep, heavy, slushy snow isn't going to be fun. Good thing I still have a tiny bit of feed left because the cows are going to need it once I get there.

• Like 5

Well they said that we're supposed to get a quarter of an inch of snow today. At the current rate, that means it should only snow for about 10 more seconds. 9, 8, 7, 6....

I think they might have misjudged that one. :blink:

• Like 2

We're solidly spring here.  50's and an inch of rain today, 50's and another inch of rain tomorrow, and then clearing and 70 by Wednesday. Then more rain.  For the extended forecast...  oh look, 60's and rain.  Glad I don't have to cross the river to get to work.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Auberon said:

We're solidly spring here.  50's and an inch of rain today, 50's and another inch of rain tomorrow, and then clearing and 70 by Wednesday. Then more rain.  For the extended forecast...  oh look, 60's and rain.  Glad I don't have to cross the river to get to work.

So, this "rain" thing. Is that like wet snow? :huh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

No idea, but we had snow in 4C weather today while working.  Like, super dry prairie snow. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I've heard of it but it's not something we've seen the last few years. 

Didn't make it to the farm today. The highway hotline said "winter driving conditions" on that chunk of road. So at noon I headed out. The town where we live is in a deep, wide valley and it's a few degrees warmer than most of the higher land around. In town the streets had mostly thawed off. A 1/2 mile out of town the highway was half blocked where they'd plowed snow about 3' deep. The other half was 4-5" of slush. Nearly slid of the road but turned on the 4x4 and continued. Up a big hill and onto the flat higher lands going slow through the slush. Wherever the snow had drifted good there was only one lane open. In the middle of the south lane there was deep snow and even some big "snowmen" That must have rolled off the plow. They were nearly 6 feet tall. First time I've seen that. I went about 3-4 miles out of 20 and decided if the highway was that bad I didn't want to be the first to test the 7 miles of back roads to the farm. It took me almost a half hour to drive the 7-8 miles out and back.

When I got home I told the wife to jump in the truck because I wanted to show her. She's been with me a couple times in some pretty bad stuff including getting stuck. We loaded up the kids and headed out. In the half hour or so it took them to get ready the north lane had melted a bit more so it wasn't as exciting as when I was alone. Just before we got to the snowmen we met a grader clearing the south half of the highway. They wiped out all the snowmen a couple minutes before we got there.::(: We went a little further and turned around because it was still pretty bad with the slush they'd left. The slush stuck to my truck so much the kids just about died laughing when they got out and saw it. It had 2-3" of snow stuck all over the front and one side. Left it outside in the sun to thaw off all afternoon.

Back's sore from shoveling too. I even had to shovel a trench to the barbecue for supper. The whole family helped but I did most of it.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Zink said:

I even had to shovel a trench to the barbecue for supper.

Makes sense to me, but somehow I think that would be a foreign concept to someone from Houston or New Orleans.

@Guindyloo?

:B):

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

12 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Makes sense to me, but somehow I think that would be a foreign concept to someone from Houston or New Orleans.

@Guindyloo?

:B):

I will have you know, sir, that at least three times in my life I have been able to build a snowman in front of my home.

Ok, maybe more of a slushman and maybe they were 80% dirt, but the rest of it was practically snow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8