Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Marineal

Resin... *shudder*

Recommended Posts

If the fellow doesn't have to be fantasy, RAFM's Cthulhu New line has a kneeling professor, no weapons, with an arm outstretched that could be modded to an extent! RAF08109 

Here's how I painted him:
 DSCN4500.thumb.JPG.8e9311a0d855dfe314bf5fb35780ec75.JPGDSCN4502.thumb.JPG.466a214b1e16b061fa1592f90112ff4e.JPG

DSCN4504.JPG

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rigel said:

If the fellow doesn't have to be fantasy, RAFM's Cthulhu New line has a kneeling professor, no weapons, with an arm outstretched that could be modded to an extent! RAF08109 

Here's how I painted him:
 DSCN4500.thumb.JPG.8e9311a0d855dfe314bf5fb35780ec75.JPGDSCN4502.thumb.JPG.466a214b1e16b061fa1592f90112ff4e.JPG

DSCN4504.JPG

He is pretty cool! 

Right now I'm working with 02648 to see what I can manage as far as conversion. And a few more resin pours have had limited success! 

I'll get pics up later. 

 

Just so everyone knows, it means so much to me to have all the help and feedback! It takes a village to raise a child, and that's true of this hobby as well!! So thanks so much. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may have missed it earlier:

 

1. What resin did you use?

2. Was mix ratio per instructions?

3. Pouring surface was level?

4. Resin mixed thoroughly, scraped the sides of mix cup and the stir stick?

Edited by Bloodhowl
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bloodhowl said:

I may have missed it earlier:

 

1. What resin did you use?

2. Was mix ratio per instructions?

3. Pouring surface was level?

4. Resin mixed thoroughly, scraped the sides of mix cup and the stir stick?

 

1. Cheap hobby lobby resin for noobs

2. 1:1 mix was prescribed. I don't know enough to know what to change up without failure, so yes. Lol

3. I did check it with a level!! 

4. I mixed it for a long time, I think. The instructions said until there's no separation, or 1-2 minutes. I mixed that particular one a little vigorously though. I think that may have been the problem. 

 

I'm trying 2 experiments this time. A big cylinder (no edges!), and a 2 or 3 layer pour. We'll see what I end up with. 

This is actually a lot of fun! 

20190123_075811.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't do "vigorous" mixing. You want to stir it slowly so you don't create air bubbles.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Marineal said:

 

1. Cheap hobby lobby resin for noobs

2. 1:1 mix was prescribed. I don't know enough to know what to change up without failure, so yes. Lol

3. I did check it with a level!! 

4. I mixed it for a long time, I think. The instructions said until there's no separation, or 1-2 minutes. I mixed that particular one a little vigorously though. I think that may have been the problem. 

 

I'm trying 2 experiments this time. A big cylinder (no edges!), and a 2 or 3 layer pour.

 

Not sure if this will be of much use to you, but since you did say "big" and not "mini" this playlist from Punished Props might be of help with regards to general molds and resin casting. They don't do anything with miniatures or terrain, they make cosplay props, but I've found their videos helpful (not just the ones on the playlist, they have lots more on the channel). Specifically on the ways to make molds based on your objects shape.

 

Can't remember if they've worked with clear resins or not, but based on the size of your test pieces from your blog, thought it was worth mentioning.

 

If nothing else, there is entertainment in their videos. Their props are sweet.

Edited by ManvsMini
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×