Sign in to follow this  
dewen

Warlord Rulebook

Whether it chooses to add support through its Reach SA or its Adjacency, it still only adds the +1 support bonus either way.

Fixed the broken link to my diagram.

Close Combat Situation Modifiers (OLE p62) list two separate mods for Support and Reach, both of which are modifiers to the attacker, not actions taken by the supporter/reacher; the supporter/reacher does not have to Invoke Special Ability, he just has to be there without anyone in his rear arc.

As further support, the Reach model may lend it's support to multiple friendly models, which would contradict it being an invoke-type of special ability.

We should make a list of which SAs are "trait-type" (no invoking required, such as Big and Mounted) vs "invoke-type" (invoked, such as flight takeoff and Marksman)

As further support, the Reach model may lend it's support to multiple friendly models, which would contradict it being an invoke-type of special ability.

Reach model may support multiple models but must declare which one gets the bonus. The support multiple models is misleading in the book.

We should make a list of which SAs are "trait-type" (no invoking required, such as Big and Mounted) vs "invoke-type" (invoked, such as flight takeoff and Marksman)

Good idea.

Aren't all sides of the base minus the rear considered to be the front side. In the beginning it says something about having 3 fronts and 1 rear.

The word "support" is what makes it potentially misleading; the picture (OLE p62) is clearer. Let's use the term "buff" to indicate a bonus granted (since typing Close Combat Situation Modifier makes my fingers weary), since talking about how Reach models can "lend their suport" gets confused with the Support situational modifier.

Anyway, one Reach model could reach-buff two friendlies, provided they both attack the same target. It can also support-buff two adjacent friendlies, if it is in contact with their targets.

It can also support-buff two adjacent friendlies, if it is in contact with their targets.

example (R indicates Reach model):

support2.jpg

Models 1 and 3 each get a +3 for 2 support-buffs and a reach-buff. Model 4 can also attack, with a +2 for 2 support-buffs.

The support rules work fine from a mechanics standpoint. If you want a fluff justification, Reach represents a model's ability to focus on offence since it knows a trained warrior is covering it's rear (literally and figuratively).

It can also support-buff two adjacent friendlies, if it is in contact with their targets.

example (R indicates Reach model):

support2.jpg

Models 1 and 3 each get a +3 for 2 support-buffs and a reach-buff. Model 4 can also attack, with a +2 for 2 support-buffs.

The support rules work fine from a mechanics standpoint. If you want a fluff justification, Reach represents a model's ability to focus on offence since it knows a trained warrior is covering it's rear (literally and figuratively).

According to the rules, I believe that model 4 could only offer it's Reach combat situational modifier (CSM) to 1 or 3, but not both. And according to Reaperbryan's earlier post, could not add a support CSM if applying a reach CSM. So if the Reach model applies reach CSM to model 1, model 1 has +2 (+1 Reach, +1 support from model 3) and model 3 has only +1 (support from model 1).

Those are my thoughts. Anyone else?

My earlier post is inconsistent with the final rules - It was taken from a draft copy.

According to Matt, at this time the model in the first situation would provide +2 to the attacker's roll (1 for reach and 1 for support through his valid b2b contact), and still be eligible to make his own attack at +1.

In the above diagram, abgni is right.

I always thought the point of Reach was to be able to support without provoking a defensive strike. I always envisioned it as the Reach model sticking a polearm over his friend's shoulder and getting its own poke in to aid the attacker's strike.

According to the Reapercon edition of the rules, the reaching model must be in the rear of the attacking friendly model. It can only use the Reach SA to support one model, and must declare which it is supporting if there are more than one.

Nowhere does it say that to use Reach is a Use Special ability action. The strict wording of the rules seems to not prohibit the use of both Reach and adding non-Reach support.

I don't think that this is the intent of the rule, though. If I had to make the call in-game, I'd say the Reach model had to chose between Support and Reach.

Edit: Bryan posted same time as me. I appear to be wrong. I submit to the requisite lashings with the Wet Noodle.

Wow, Reach is powerful.

Edited by Herr Oberfroschmeister

Nowhere does it say that to use Reach is a Use Special ability action. The strict wording of the rules seems to not prohibit the use of both Reach and adding non-Reach support.

Reach is not a Use Special Ability action - It's more or less always on, if the model is in the situation described, it is on, no activation needed.

According to the Reapercon edition of the rules, the reaching model must be in the rear of the attacking friendly model.  It can only use the Reach SA to support one model, and must declare which it is supporting if there are more than one.

Clarification: Reach can only be used against 1 Defender - the rule says nothing about it being used to support only 1 attacker, in fact the rule states the bonus can apply to more than one attacker as long as the reach model is in b2b with the rear of more than 1 attacker.

I always thought the point of Reach was to be able to support without provoking a defensive strike.  I always envisioned it as the Reach model sticking a polearm over his friend's shoulder and getting its own poke in to aid the attacker's strike.
That is the intent. The rules currently support abgni. However, in both diagrams, the defending model could Defensive strike against the reach model, if it wished, or the other model. This situation does put the reach model at risk.

Thanks Brian, Abngi, and dewen for clarifing yet another rule.

I do suggest that no more questions be asked until we are all going from the REAL book. One of the problems we're having is people interpreting something 3 different ways because they are going from 3 different books. Just an idea.

Happy Gaming.

Clarification: Reach can only be used against 1 Defender - the rule says nothing about it being used to support only 1 attacker, in fact the rule states the bonus can apply to more than one attacker as long as the reach model is in b2b with the rear of more than 1 attacker.

Exactly. For example:

support1.jpg

Model 1 gets a support-buff, model 5 gets a support-buff and a rear-buff, and either 1 or 5 may get a reach-buff.

Takes some tricky maneuvering to get maximum benefit from Reach models, and makes them Public Enemy Number One as a result. Good tactics = good benefits; isn't that the mark of a good wargame?