Sign in to follow this  
dewen

Warlord Rulebook

Terrain types listed in the book have movement cost modifiers and some provide cover. Some but not all are not listed in both. Light woods for example provides cover of light 2 and has a movement cost. What about walls? For example an ogre wants to go over a medium height wooden or stone wall. Is this handled by the stunt climb? A treant wouldn't have a problem stepping over it. Our "house rule" was that if a structure like a wall did not provide cover, you could pass over it without a penalty. Your thoughts and input are appreciated.

- de

Walls are handled on the terrain charts in the section under "Cover" (Page 66). Walls provide a cover bonus ranging from 0-3 for light cover, and 0-3 for Heavy Cover. Moving over a Wall is handled under "Stunts - Climb" (Page 78). For most walls their Elevation level will equal their Cover Bonus, so if you rule (in your game) that a specifc wall provides 0 Cover bonus, then it has 0 "Effective elevation", so it costs no movement to walk over them.

A Medium Wall (Level 1 - It blocks LOS for a Size 1 creature but not a Large Creautre (Ogre) would provide a Cover bonus to the Ogre, though not block LOS. For the Ogre to cross it, it would have to be "Climbed", so the Ogre would have to make a Climb check to scale the level 1 Wall.

If you decide that the level 1 wall above provides 0 cover bonus to the Treant, it is still a level 1 elevation, and therefore does offer a +1 Movment Penalty to the Treant for crossing it, according to Page 59 (Movement cost Modifiers) even Giant base Models must suffer the +1 Movement Penalty per 1 Level of increased elevation.

The rules state if you attempt to leave base-to-base, and fail Dis, you can't move and are shaken. If you attempt it again and fail Dis, you retreat. I was wondering if you are already shaken for any reason (last model in troup, Scare Spell . . .) and attempt to leave base-to-base and fail Dis, do you retreat? I would say yes.

- de

The rules state if you attempt to leave base-to-base, and fail Dis, you can't move and are shaken. If you attempt it again and fail Dis, you retreat. I was wondering if you are already shaken for any reason (last model in troup, Scare Spell . . .) and attempt to leave base-to-base and fail Dis, do you retreat? I would say yes.

- de

Models in cohesion do not retreat as a result of failing a second dis check. Models out of cohesion absolutely would.

That is the primary advantage of cohesion.

OLE pg 58 Leaving Close Combat

" . . . it (a model) may not move away unless it first makes a successful Discipline check. If it does not succeed then the Model is considered Shaken. If it succeeds it may conduct the declared Movement Non-Combat Action as normal. If the first attempt fail, any Model that still has an unused Non-Combat action may again attempt to Leave Close Combat. However since the Model is already Shaken, if it fails the second Discipline check the model retreats.”

Cohesion is not mentioned and an example of Orc warriors and Reptus archers is given with no mention of Cohesion.

- de

To summarize: within cohesion, only failing a "leave combat" while shaken will Retreat you. Out of cohesion, anything that causes a Shaken result will Retreat you.

Did I miss an effect that can cause Retreat while within cohesion?

I got to take a look at the color official edition :lol: . I love Nord's Games. Already placed a preorder for the rule book and look through it. The painting guide is great. Full color with palette shots to show how the paint should look for drybrushing and shading and everything. Not to mention that the its beautiful to look at. You guys at reaper did an amazing job on the rule book. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. This thing is really worth the wait. It is chouette (AKA groovy).

If a model with Reach is touching the rear side of a friendly model which is in base-to-base with an enemy model and the Reach model is in base-to-base with the same enemy model, can the Reach model provide both Support and Reach situational modifiers to the friendly model? This is difficult to verbalize, but possible. Just place a Reach model behind a friendly model then move the enemy model to a side of the pair in base-to-base with both the Reach model and his friend.

- de

SUPPORT:

Support represents nearby Models assisting the current Attacker to successfully stike a telling blow against their target.  Support may take the form of long pole weapons assisting from behind, a nearby friendly soldier blocking a strike, or even just the chaos and confusion caused by so many hostile Models in nearby proximity.

Models may not lend Support to attacks conducted upon an enemy Model that is adjacent to their own rear base side.

(page 61-62 in OLE)

I think this part of the definintion of Support answers your question.

cher ^_^

Edited by ladystorm

The Reach model can either give support or Reach.

Technically, it can do both. Reach (OLE page 71) requires base contact with friendly Rear Base Side, no limiters. Support (OLE page62) requires contact with defender, limited as ladystorm mentioned. if arranged like this:

support%20and%20reach.jpg

model R (reach) could both support and reach.

Did I miss any technicalities?

OLE pg 58 Leaving Close Combat

" . . . it (a model) may not move away unless it first makes a successful Discipline check. If it does not succeed then the Model is considered Shaken. If it succeeds it may conduct the declared Movement Non-Combat Action as normal. If the first attempt fail, any Model that still has an unused Non-Combat action may again attempt to Leave Close Combat. However since the Model is already Shaken, if it fails the second Discipline check the model retreats.”

Cohesion is not mentioned and an example of Orc warriors and Reptus archers is given with no mention of Cohesion.

- de

Page 54 - Retreat.

. . .when a model is not in cohesion, is already shaken, and suffers an effect or fails a die roll that would result in a second shaken token, the model retreats. . . .

Page 54 - Cohesion is Voluntary

. . . if it is not in cohesion then it is at risk of being forced to retreat . .

I will seek clarification from Matt

I will seek clarification from Matt

How about the Reach/Support question, too?

abngi, put up a great diagram.

Thanks. Posted at the same time.

Edited by dewen