Sign in to follow this  
Jat

Reaper paints and Professional Painters

19 hours ago, Wren said:

He comes at it from a different direction, but the artist James Wappel uses both oil paints and acrylics. He's got a lot of videos up on Facebook and I think some on YouTube, too, as well as posting on his Wappelious blog. He has a Patreon, too, but plenty of videos available free of charge. He also attends ReaperCon and hangs out at a table and demonstrates his various unique methods.

All that said, it's worth persevering with the acrylics as well as experimenting. You will likely find an approach that clicks for you at some point or with a bit of practice!

Many thanks for all the tips! I We're flying in from Seattle to ReaperCon this year- Texas is our original stomping ground and we're meeting up with all our old DFW friends, making a big week of it- and I will definitely look forward to seeing James Wappel. I've seen some of his videos, but haven't dug into his oil technique yet.

I have a friend who does portrait and figure work primarily in egg tempera; man oh man is it beautiful on canvas: https://www.dominiquemedici.com/ 

Edited by bluecrowlaura
  • Like 2

Wow, your friends work is amazing!

You will have a wonderful time at ReaperCon. Also feel free to stop by my area of the artist table and I'll give you an overview of how I work with acrylics if you like.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 1/25/2019 at 11:15 AM, Wren said:

One of the paint lines in my pending to experiment with pile is Liquitex's new 'acrylic gouache'.* Which from what I can tell is pretty much Liquitex reinventing the wheel of miniature paint - liquid formulation, non-cracking, very matte, as opaque as possible.

On 2/6/2019 at 2:34 PM, lexomatic said:

Please post a thread with experiments. I am intrigued.

I not only did experiments, I made a video!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 7

The video is really good for folks like me who do not have a  background that gave us knowledge like this. Very enjoyable!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have Golden PR122! I find in pretty gloss so it gets cut with matte medium for mini painting, and I still assume that it will need a matte sealer in the end. 

• Like 3

On 4/29/2019 at 3:15 PM, Pingo said:

I not only did experiments, I made a video!

Fantastic video! Very informative and interesting.

I hope you will also post this in a separate thread, since I think it's a bit diverged from the original topic and a lot of people might miss it here. (Maybe you already have done this, I'm quite behind in forum reading due to so much traveling.) Then hopefully one day I'll do some experiments of my own that I could also share in your thread.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Wren said:

Fantastic video! Very informative and interesting.

I hope you will also post this in a separate thread, since I think it's a bit diverged from the original topic and a lot of people might miss it here. (Maybe you already have done this, I'm quite behind in forum reading due to so much traveling.) Then hopefully one day I'll do some experiments of my own that I could also share in your thread.

Thanks! I’ve started a thread at http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/86181-pingo-has-started-a-video-series-on-paint-and-painting/

• Like 3