Sign in to follow this  
lowlylowlycook

The mighty Uruk Hai

I can stop buying orcs at any time, I promise...

But for now I have a few boxes of plastic Uruk Hai from GW.

26357291_Uruk_gettingstarted.thumb.jpg.84ee5a4011b87362704dbdb1d3d12831.jpg

Here they are being glued to washers

And some test models, testing both a color scheme and different primers (as you can see).   Basecoated 

Uruk_Test_4.thumb.jpg.82eb5fae33c4304e0f3961e1efea246b.jpg 

Then washed

Uruk_Test_5.thumb.jpg.dcf473563b1aa03b0995c452373f7e50.jpg

The pikes: Basecoated 

652809705_UrukPike_1.thumb.jpg.abfe0d4e772721b544046c962ee65e40.jpg

Then washed

1452168_UrukPike_2.thumb.jpg.fdffc559617df3e95a12dfc0accdc467.jpg

Uruk Basing_1.jpg

• Like 12

Always liked these models, I have a box myself that needs painted. You can never have too many orcs... never.

Can I ask why you are using the washers for bases instead of the ones that came in the box? Just like the extra weight?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Always liked these models, I have a box myself that needs painted. You can never have too many orcs... never.

Can I ask why you are using the washers for bases instead of the ones that came in the box? Just like the extra weight?

I put all my infantry on washers so I can use magnets to store them.  With plastic minis the extra weight is also nice and originally I went to this system because I had some WW2 Sikhs that had plastic bodies with metal turbaned heads.  On plastic bases those guys had no chance of standing up.  

• Like 4

Ah, magnets. That was my second guess, but the weight won out. I like what you're doing, just might inspire me to put my box into my paint queue for next month.

• Like 1

I was aiming to get a maybe even a little more colorful with them but there is something about these guys that seems to pull toward a darker scheme.  

One thing I did was to basecoat the armor in green liner thinking that it would maybe bring out the red in the skin.  Not too sure how well it worked and even though these guys are pretty covered up, I don't think that the red really needs to be emphasized.

• Like 3

I think the red comes out brightly,  without being pink or scarlet. In the film obviously they have very very dark brown or very very dark grey skin and black gunmetal armour. Easy to paint but it would look like you just primed them!

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this