Miniature tracking software?

Cranky Dog

Does anyone use some sort of software to keep track of their miniature collections? With pictures and/or searchable tags?

Anyone in the hobby for a while, and who invested in Bones (and many other miniature) Kickstarters; Warhammer armies; Heroclix armies; individual or box sets at your FLGS or online store, etc. has accumulated so many that they tend to forget what exactly they own anymore.

I know I went over the 1000 individual miniature mark after Bones 2. And with Bones 4 around the corner, it keeps growing alarmingly fast. And I know I'm not the only one.

Sure for the Kickstarters miniatures, I can always go back to the original campaign page and look up the images. But there certainly must be a simple application that would do the same job as Reaper's tag search, but without requiring coding skill.

I think my ideal format would be something that would show: Picture; name; company; manufacturer code (if available); sculptor name (if available); and any amount of tags (male - fighter - sword - elf - bow), and then filter the results.

I know it can be done; I just don't know how.

I know there are image organization software, movie collection software, comic book collection software, music collection software, etc. But haven't found anything more generic for miniatures.

February 2019 Update: I'm taking the Excel route afterall.

Edited by Cranky Dog

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

I use a spreadsheet...   

You can read more about it here;

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/78640-keeping-track-of-minis/

I remember me and others asking the same general question in the past, but wondered if anyone found more practical solutions.

I thought of using Excel, but I don't know how to implement a workable tag search in it for any keyword I could come up with.

2 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

Anyone in the hobby for a while, and who invested in Bones (and many other miniature) Kickstarters; Warhammer armies; Heroclix armies; individual or box sets at your FLGS or online store, etc. has accumulated so many that they tend to forget what exactly they own anymore.

How could I ever forget such heroes and the foes they faced/will face? Does Odin keep an attendance roster at Valhalla? Does Zeus need a list of the horrible monsters he uses to test the mettle of men? NEVER!!!!

Ok, kidding aside, I don't have this problem despite the mountain of pewter I have (now, locating it is another matter). I see someone has already mentioned MS Access, which would be my suggestion. I am surprised it isn't working for him, though I guess that depends on what you need it to do.

I have not used it recently (since 2012?), but we used it at a lab I once worked in to keep chemical inventory. It worked better than Excel for that task, since it is a management software. At the time, it was part of the MS Office package, and hopefully they haven't gotten rid of any of the features. Not sure if it could handle a picture inclusion, since we never needed to try them.

@TripleH what version of Access are you using?

I use Office 365 and/or 16, depending on what machine I'm on. The only problem is portability. If I'm out and about (ReaperCon, FLGS) then I sometimes end up with duplicates since I don't have access to my database. 

Access will handle picture inclusion.

Having something that would sync between Windows and Andriod would be very helpful.

I use google sheets because I like being able to access it on my phone (when I’m out in a shop looking at things) as well as on my laptop or Mac at home without having to worry about “is this the most updated version?” Mine is only in the beginning stages of implementing tags, but I also use excel almost exclusively for work stuff so I’m sure it can be done to a high level. Google sheets does have a few things missing that I find handy in excel, but overall I’m very pleased with it. I stole the basic framework of my sheet from someone on this forum (sorry, can’t remember who) but have heavily modded it

For a while, I was using a simple home database tool to track everything, which was great for tracking lots of fields, including photos and other information, but that program went out of support and barely works these days. When I had it up-to-date, I tracked a lot of information, including:

manufacturer

SKU

material (lead, pewter, resin, Bones, etc.)

sculptor

genre (my call)

game system (if any)

scale

photo (or generic product photo from the web)

condition (painted, primed, damaged, new, etc.)

Packaging (e.g. Reaper Bones blister, pack, Privateer Press tuck box, etc.)

and, most crucially:

location (i.e. where did I put the durned thing!?)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Gosh darnit, I finally figured out how to make Excel do want I want it to do with advanced filtering and a custom search zone. So now I can use any combination of search tags to search any mini. :winkthumbs:

Now to see if I can do the same with Google Sheets (which I've never used), or LibreOffice Calc. :unsure:

And if I have enough motivation to actually do it. :down:

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 3

Motivation is hard.

Having let my catalog get out of date, the idea of re-inventorying it is... stressful.

I might enjoy it, if I had a solid week to sit down and go through everything on my own time and terms, but I mean a week of no work, no family, no household chores, etc. I do not foresee that happening any time soon.

• Like 1