Miniature tracking software?

Cranky Dog

So I believe I have the basic template of what I want in my database.

• Company: Who made it?
  • Name: What's it called?
  • Quantity: How many I own?
  • Material: What's it made of?
  • Model no.: Code given to it by manufacturer
  • Scupltor: Who sculpted it?
  • Origin: Where did I get it? (Kickstarter, FLGS, online, convention, etc.)
  • Single - Kit: Single piece, or part of a larger ensemble.
  • Collection: Name of the collection if applicable.
  • Link: Internet page if it exists.
  • Tags: All the key words I want, which is where I would want to do the most searches
  • Picture: Either my own picture, or manufacturer's

Multiply all of these by the thousands of minis I own...

I'm gonna go lie down.

Loading such a spreadsheet with thousands of little images, I believe the file size can quickly become unmanageable.

• Like 3

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I've started my database with Excel afterall. :winkthumbs:

Started with a few Wizkids pre-primed, then went on with my non-Reaper Kickstarter minis.

Instead of saving pictures within the database itself, I have a folder on my computer in which I'll keep an image of everything I own (easy for now as everything is from the internet), and identify the file according to maker-collection-ID number/SKU.

After 96 minis, I find that it's a slow, yet worthwhile, exercise. It's allowing my memory to refresh itself as I fully focus on each miniature at least once instead of going "I own a bunch of minis by these guys".

I already have several cases of "I own this? Nice!" :B):

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

I keep my pictures separate, too. 

If you write down the SKU, though, be aware that some resellers will use their own stock codes in their store, and also in the confirmation emails, so always check the manufacturer's own website.   

And some companies suddenly decide to change the SKU on everything.

(Oathsworn did this not long ago. All their B&B minis now have SKUs beginning with BB, not an acronym of the KS. Their Heroines got a similar treatment)   

• Like 3

On 1/31/2019 at 11:54 AM, Cranky Dog said:

Tags: All the key words I want, which is where I would want to do the most searches

I actually break this down in my spreadsheet into things like Armor, Weapons, Items, etc.

I also try to ID a race for the miniatures, so if I'm looking for an undead critter or construct I can sort by that as well.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, strawhat said:

I actually break this down in my spreadsheet into things like Armor, Weapons, Items, etc.

I also try to ID a race for the miniatures, so if I'm looking for an undead critter or construct I can sort by that as well.

I'm adding tons of little descriptive details in the tags, with whatever makes them unique.

When applicable: Race (human, elf); gender (male, female); class (ex: fighter); subclass (ex: warrior, knight); weapon (sword, staff); apparent social status (noble, peasant, lord, lady); age (young, old, child); action (flying, pointing, casting, eating); distinguishing accessory (feather hat, musical instrument, wand, food); monster; monster type (undead, ooze); special status (sleeping, dead); etc.

• Like 3

Oooh...I hadn't even thought about actions, age, or social status.

My spreadsheet is fail.

:poke:

Seriously, though, I admire your dedication and determination!  That's going to be amazing when you finish.  The thing that usually gets me is that I keep changing my keywords..."fighter" here but "warrior" there.  Silly stuff like that.

• Like 3

I tried to keep mine simple:

Figure Name

Race

Class

Size

Monster Type

Racial Subtype

Sourcebook

Quantity

Picture

Manufacturer

Manufacturer SKU

Verified (checkbox) (sometimes I'll add to database prior to receiving, especially for KS's)

Painted (checkbox) (primarily for when viewing in table form)

• Like 1

Instead of 'verified' I have columns for 'owned', 'on order' and 'wanted'.  

If I see something I like, I'll either register it with a 'wanted' amount, or order directly, and add an 'on order' amount, and when it arrives it gets updated on the 'owned' column. (A skeletal regiment for Kings of War is 20 minis. whether you write 20 in a column, or 1 is up to you)  

Some minis, such as Bones skeletons are multipacks. And there's army packs...  

Whether you write a '1' for a multipack, or the number of minis in it is up to interpretation, just be consistent. 

Manufacturer LINE SKU Pack Name Individual Reference Base Size Sculptor Notes Status Acquired Completed

These are my columns, Status is either "Inventory, WIP, Painted or Kickstarter Unshipped" I like the idea of a Material column, I might add that too. Also I tend to make the Pack name column a clickable link to the webpage its available from- but this is not at all up to date.

• Like 1

My columns are as follows:

Company    

Figure Name   

Sku   

Own  (yes, no, wishlist, ordered)

Own Dupes    

# In Package    

Own Total    

Figure State  (in package, needs glue, being painted, painted, set partially painted) 

Sculptor 

Catalogued (yes, no, part of set) 

Catalog As (I mark the bottom with a number, usually the SKU)   

Location   (for the ones packaged in numbered boxes)

Kickstarter    

Notes    

Price     

Same as (for the same sculpt in multipacks or different material)

3 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

I woldn't have included price....    

It would make it possible to get an idea of how much I'm spending on this...   

Best not know how much we really spend on the hobby. ::o:

People will start thinking we have a problem, or something.

That, and if it came from Kickstarter, putting a price on a single mini, when the retail price is quite different, makes it irrelevant. And then comes those we buy on special, or in currency other than the USD.

Like I said, best not to know. Blissful ignorance! ::P:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1