Munchkin Dungeon by CMON

Rahz

14 hours ago, Talae said:

I feel that Munchkin would be a much better game if it consistently lasted about 20 minutes. 

Set a timer - Every 10 minutes, everyone goes up a level, cumulatively, ie, 10 minutes into the game everyone gains 1 level, 20 minutes into the game everyone gains another 2 levels, 30 minutes into the game, everyone gains a 3rd level.  That should speed things up.

• Like 5

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, John Fiala said:

Set a timer - Every 10 minutes, everyone goes up a level, cumulatively, ie, 10 minutes into the game everyone gains 1 level, 20 minutes into the game everyone gains another 2 levels, 30 minutes into the game, everyone gains a 3rd level.  That should speed things up.

This might be a better solution than arbitrarily starting at a higher level. I might try it out if I ever get it to the table again.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2019 at 10:27 AM, Disciple of Sakura said:

I've only backed 2 CMON KSs, but I got both of them, even though the first was delivered behind schedule. I feel I got an excellent value for the price paid, and some wonderful miniatures. I'm not sure why people would be upset about the company on the whole, but to each their own.

Complaints about CMON are as follows:

- They don't communicate a whole lot.  Expect few updates.   But they have always delivered.

- Two of their early Kickstarters had some poor quality miniatures in them- especially Sedition Wars.  In my opinion, they have been improving their quality quite a lot, but some folks just feel burned forever.

- Some people feel that Kickstarter should only be used by tiny startup companies, and hate on any established company running a Kickstarter for something that they could (in theory) just produce for retail.  To be fair to CMON, they do produce games that go straight to retail, but people don't seem to talk about them nearly as much as their big Kickstarter projects.

- Some people have had bad experiences with their customer service, and dislike them because of that.

- Some people hate Kickstarter exclusives, and CMON are well known for adding a lot of exclusive gameplay content to their Kickstarter bundles.  They also make sure to never offer those exclusives again, so if you missed the Kickstarter, you probably missed some potential part of the game forever.

- CMON does not feel the need to support all of its games outside of the Kickstarter.  So many of the games will never receive another expansion after the all in Kickstarter bundle.

- Recently, CMON has had a few non-exclusives that never made it to retail.  According to CMON, those items will go to retail if they believe that there is demand for them, but backers who decided to wait on some of the non-exclusives feel burned by this.

- Some people don't like their games.  Honestly, I don't see any flaw that applies to all of them, but some of us do get annoyed when something we don't like is more popular than we think it should be.

All together, I think they're pretty decent.  I like more of their games than I dislike, I dislike Kickstarter exclusivity, I like most of their miniatures, and while I would prefer for them to spend more time updating their Kickstarters, I feel that their delivery record keeps me from being nervous about backing them.

Edited by odinsgrandson
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I haven't backed them for a KS. There have been some that looked interesting and had good reviews though, and folks haven't seemed to have many issues on that front. I'd like a group to do well for both KS, and webstore (if they have both). They failed hard on the store side, largely due to the severe lack of communication. I don't think they're particularly trustworthy because of it. But if the KS side is all that you want, go for it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, odinsgrandson said:

Complaints about CMON are as follows:

Excellent summary of issues, most of which are pretty valid. Personally I'm a big fan, they provide tons of good looking minis with their projects, and while I've backed dozens of different games manufacturers on kickstarter, the CMON games are the ones my friends most often want to play when we have a board game night.

• Like 4

Campaign finished off at a respectable 701k.  I think that outperforms the prediction model that I made.

Most campaigns do about a third of their finished funding in the first 24 hours, but I think this one was only at 200k after the first day (maybe a little lower, even- I don't remember).  So it has definitely exceeded that expectation, even if we give it a standard 10% margin of error.

The last time that a big campaign contradicted my system, it was also a CMON project.  That time it was Cthulhu: Death May Die.  That campaign went the opposite direction- it funded extremely well in the first 24 hours, but slowed WAY down for the rest of the campaign, and came in well under my prediction.

If we contrast the two projects- I think a lot of people weren't sold on Munchkin Dungeon right out the door, but as they revealed more, I think it gained momentum.  On the other hand, I think a lot of people were excited to see Studo McVey and Adrian Smith do Cthulhu, but the excitement deflated as they revealed so many stretch goal investigators instead of monsters.  Perhaps it is also a factor that Death May Die put its biggest add on up front (the megathulhu) while Munchkin had many add ons that came in after the campaign was rolling.

• Like 1

I think part of it is also that Munchkin has a lot of popularity that you don't see in geek circles.  So, as SJGames and others publicized the kickstarter, more than the 'usual suspects' signed up for the game.

But who knows?

I backed for everything but the weird board game expansion - that one just felt mean to me - and I'm looking forward to playing it with my daughter.  Especially with the Gazebo.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, John Fiala said:

I think part of it is also that Munchkin has a lot of popularity that you don't see in geek circles.  So, as SJGames and others publicized the kickstarter, more than the 'usual suspects' signed up for the game.

But who knows?

I backed for everything but the weird board game expansion - that one just felt mean to me - and I'm looking forward to playing it with my daughter.  Especially with the Gazebo.

What was the board game expansion that you felt was mean?

• Like 1

I continued to buy almost everything, except for the "Board Silly" one, and the small sets of dice.  Why get 6 dice for $10, when I get get 30 dice in player colors for $36? :)

(Last weekend I discovered that there is now a Harry Potter themed Munchkin.  None of the jokes, all of the teenaged angst!)

• Like 2