Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
This is the first project in my 150 miniatures in 75 weeks challenge. I am starting off with the miniatures in a new game by Restoration Games called "Unmatched." It is a light card driven skirmish/arena type game. It is a reworking of the old game Star Wars: Epic Duels, if you are familiar. These will be painted primarily with reaper paints, so I think this is still "legal" to post.
I am starting off with the four miniatures that come in the base box, Alice (in wonderland), Medusa, King Arthur, and Sinbad.
The models are very nice for board game minis. They came pre-washed. I gave them a soak in simple green to try to get some of the wash off, but it didn't really come off. It doesn't seem to have obscured detail, so I am just proceeding.
Often, when I paint board game miniatures, the bases are an afterthought. For these, I have decided to give the bases more attention.
For Sinbad, I am going to have him on a beach, with the ocean water receding under his feet. For that I made up some texture paste by mixing some pva glue, baking soda, and water (sorry, don't know the proportions). This paste, when dried, does a good job of approximating fine sand. I tapered the paste on his base because the water is going to be behind him.
After it was dry, I mixed up another batch and added a more roughed up section at the front. This is the sand that hasn't gotten wet yet.
For Alice, she is going to be in a garden/lawn setting with flowers. I wanted the texture paste to be a bit more coarse, so I added in some corn meal into the baking soda mix, then as it dried, I used a brush to make the ground a bit uneven.
I did the same thing for King Arthur, but then I had a change of heart. I didn't want his base to be the same as Alice's, so after it had dried some, I took a dental tool and scratched in some lines so that it looked like he was on stone. I'm not sure how this will turn out and if the texture will read much as stone after primed. If not, I can do some things to fix it. One thing I worried about was whether it looked like his feet were sinking into the stone, so I tried to subtly taper the stone around his feet. If it doesn't read right at the end, I'll add some rubble around his feet.
For Medusa, I wanted the ground to be rougher as she is going to be among the rubble of her victims. So, I sprinkled on some corn meal over the top. I'll be adding more rubble and stuff later on. There isn't much room on her base, but I want to have pieces of a stone victim somewhere. I might grab a bones miniature and cut pieces off of it (head, bits of torso, arm) and see what I can fit.
Here they with the bases dried. I am content with the results (sorry for the washed out image).
Next up, priming!
I got the chance to paint up some miniatures for a project to bring the Modest Medusa webcomic into the minaitures world.
These were all sculpted by Brian Phelps, and I think every one of them sculpts is super cute. I'm going to get to do some more of them for backers, since the project is pretty nicely overfunded.
Anyway, here are all of the very cute Medusa minis I painted for them.
The Brass Bull. out of the Bully for you subset in the Bones 2 core set.
This is a not-Gorgon from D&D. I do not know why Gygax would call this a Gorgon, since it really has nothing to do with the Gorgon sisters from Greek myth. But what it is, is a massive metal bullock that has a petrifying green gas breath attack.
Even though the Gorgon is described as iron, in that it can be rusty, I did it in bronzey brassey colours. I gave it a bit of green around the muzzle to look like some residue from it's halitosis.
More beneath the click
This is the end result of me trying ~2.5 sources of light for OSL. Red from magic runes below, teal from a flame in hand, and some moonlight from above.
The character is our magic user (archivist/wizard/mystic theurge for Wee Jas), who got pretty beat up last session - but he got better. Hence title "revived". His familiar is an Aussie magpie, which was so vexing to paint, because instead of just a black bird, she has some spots. Gah!
The character is pale, with black hair, and wears black and gray.... so I had a bit of an adventure trying to work around that too.
The figure is a converted version of Dark Sword's Stephanie Law "Male Mage". I took it off the base and put it on a new one (I think MicroArtStudio?). I also filed off the tiny beard to make it just a little more different. I then took off the staff, and took the Bird on a Rock from that kickstarter and put it on the hand. That thing is on there with superglue, greenstuff, and prayers.
The red OSL specifically wouldn't have been possible with my Reaper reds; that's Kimera paints. I tried Reaper Blood Red and it just wouldn't go bright enough. On the palette, it looks the same as Kimera's "The Red", but The Red is just sooooo much more vibrant. I thinned the heck out of it and started glazing it in.
Weakest point I think is the bird, but eh, that's okay.
Photos aren't perfect, but still better than what I used to get. Going to fiddle around with stuff again soon.
This was one of my diorama entries for ReaperCon featuring miniatures from Dark Sword Miniatures. I had diorama ideas centered around the female figure occupying my mind for a while before I settled on this one. I tried a few other figures with her but nothing fit until I got the male figure and then added the wolf. I am very happy with how it came together and was very pleased that it received a Gold medal in the Diorama Category. I also was honored to receive second place diorama from Dark Sword.
Who's Online 37 Members, 1 Anonymous, 302 Guests (See full list)
- Dan d'Lyon
- Colonel Kane
- Doug Sundseth
- Lars Porsenna