TaleSpinner

Getting to Know You, Feb 2019

2 hours ago, TGP said:

After the events of last night, I realize that I need to “revise and extend my remarks”.

I burned bacon. In a microwave. I was going for extra crispy. Much of it was  extra, extra, very, crispy. But one spot was all the way black. I have never before achieved crispy bacon cooking it at home. This was a first. 

All previous attempts have been a greasy soggy mess. 

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/articles/how-to-make-bacon-in-the-microwave

Last week, I heard a strange buzzing noise coming from the kitchen. Fearing the fridge was about to die I investigated. It wasn’t the fridge. But I could not audibly isolate or track down the noise. Skipping to the end of the story...the noise ceased when the 220volt circuit breaker that is dedicated to the range/oven unit was thrown to the off position. (All the normal switches on the face of the unit were already in the Off positions :blink: ).

Doesn't sound like the problem was something you caused.  Congrats on the "enhanced hearing" skill.  I am constantly asking my husband "What is that noise?" and getting "What noise?" in reply. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Doesn't sound like the problem was something you caused.  Congrats on the "enhanced hearing" skill.  I am constantly asking my husband "What is that noise?" and getting "What noise?" in reply. 

For as many decades in service that my ears have, they do remarkably well. That might be the opposite of my dump stat. 

The SAD thing about crippling the range (stove top) and oven is that I have a frozen pizza in the freezer —DiGiorno® brand— that is not going to get cooked anytime soon; ...it wants baking. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

You need a ring of snack craving summoning!

Oh, that's a delightful idea! 

This morning I dang near smacked a guest because he interrupted my quest for food, because he lost his key. 

• Like 9

10 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Feb 14: Valentine's Day: Love it, Loathe it, or Meh?

Meh.

I used to like it a little more, but the constant "If you really love her, you'll drop $5,458,490,674,070.99 on this shiny rock" commercials ended that.

My wife and I do little things for each other all the time anyway.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Feb 14: Valentine's Day: Love it, Loathe it, or Meh?

I'm kinda "Meh" about it. We shouldn't need a day to remind us to proclaim our love to that special someone and its all very over commercialized nowadays.

That said, it was pretty funny seeing a group of 8 big burly workmen carefully examining all the various bunches of flowers when we popped into the supermarket today :lol: Especially when one of them started asking me advice on what to get his wife. I hope she likes the bunch i picked out for her :poke:

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, TaleSpinner said:

Feb 15:  Where is the best place to get chocolate today?

Of the stores I shop at, Target usually has the best selection of Valentine's Day candy so they usually have the best selection on the day after.  However, either they have stopped ordering so much or demand has gone up so the supply of remaining candy following holidays hasn't been very high recently.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

Beats me. I usually miss out on the sales. Walgreen's usually has a nice selection before The Day.

• Like 4

What kind of chocolate are you looking for? If it is the cheap novelty chocolate in bags, then try grocery stores and drug stores.  Although they may not start discounting for a day or two.  The best prices don't come for a couple weeks yet. 

If you want really good quality chocolate, single source or fair trade then I would look in coffee shops, and at Cost Plus.  A few grocery stores, like Whole Foods will also have it. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Anywhere 1 day *after* Halloween, Valentine's Day or Easter for those half price specials!

Rest of the time, as a Canadian, Laura Secord or Lindt outlet stores have some nice stuff.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Valentine's Day: like a lot of others I tend to celebrate my loved one throughout the year and don't really get too concerned about celebrating that on a specific day in February that has no special meaning for us. Also, we celebrate the anniversary of our first kiss on the 19th, so doing the romantic dinner thing on the 14th as well seems kind of redundant. We do, however, go out with a group of close friends every year for a nice meal in honor of one of our number's birthday. So even though we look forward to the day, it's not for the traditional reason. 

Chocolate: After eating the following last night I don't even want to think about more sweets...

FB_IMG_1550232389394.thumb.jpg.27bf1fd7513db8da988ce63e0face936.jpg

That's a piece of chocolate cake with chocolate, vanilla, and cherry ice cream. Whipped cream, cherries, some sort of chocolate covered coffee pieces, cherry sauce and chocolate sauce. And a flourless chocolate and peanut butter torte in the background with peanut butter mousse. My wife and I split those last night and are living in caloric regret today. 

Edited by Thoramel
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

We don't have many options in my town; we have a Walmart, two grocery stores, and five drugstores. Walmart typically has it marked down 50% for all of the commercial brands.

When I was in college, the best place to get it was from the sorority girls; make one comment about how spring break was approaching and casually mention beach bodies (not actively bodyshaming, just a date reminder), and they'd be thrusting it into your arms. Yes I know, it was mean... but I never said I was perfect :poke:

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

I don't really spend much time hunting for bulk candy bargains after each holiday, so I am not an expert on where to get them. (Which is a pitty; it's not like I don't want the chocolate on-hand. ::P: )

Locally, I am a fan of L.A. Burdick's dark chocolate, although it is petty expensive.

All the time in Vermont also gave me a renewed appreciation for Lake Champlain chocolates.

Finally, as some of you may have experienced at ReaperCon's past, I like to support my own town's local chocolate maker: Taza Chocolate. I find their process brings out more floral and fruit flavors in chocolate than most other makers, which is different and interesting.

• Like 6