TaleSpinner

Getting to Know You, Feb 2019

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Well, I totally missed the weekend.  Sorry.  Sick wife and lots to do.  Back at it now though.

Feb 18: Do you have a personal motto? (Evil Halfling)

Arguably I've had a few over the years...  Some might be mantras or personal beliefs, but eh. ^_^

"When life gives you sheet metal, pull out the dremel and hammer away" - my old case modding one, back when I didn't have much cash to buy the computer parts I wanted.  Still kind of live by it, although I don't do anywhere near the level of DIY I did back then.  Sure, it's kind of a combination of "make do with what you have" as well as that lemon one that's said so often, but still.  I was proud of it back in the day.

"I don't care what Montreal thinks, I'm taking care of my customers" - probably the most commonly said thing in my truck when running behind due to workload, weather, or the two in tandem.  I have no qualms about triggering the GPS on my truck and doing a bit of overtime if it means less to take care of the next day (and keeping our goal of next business day delivery).  By "triggering the GPS", our onboard GPS (and the software monitoring it) will flag a vehicle if it starts an hour after we're supposed to be off, and managers/supervisors are supposed to talk with drivers about this - most just look at the email, look where it was triggered, roll their eyes, and delete the email since drivers are out... doing their jobs!

Uhmmmm...  There's probably another one in there somewhere, but it doesn't quite come to mind >.>;;;

• Like 6

An old Spanish proverb:

"visteme despacio, que tengo prisa"

The direct translation smacks of aristocracy, as it is a command directed to a valet, but the gist of it is "we are late; dress slowly." Basically don't panic because of the deadlines. Work methodically and precisely and you'll be finished the first time, rather than taking longer by rushing and having to do the task again.

• Like 10

Tea: I mostly only drink tea when I've got a cold. In those instances it's black tea, hot with a teaspoon of honey and a half a shot of whiskey. Keeps me slightly awake and feeling good enough to at least answer emails and maybe get a little work done from the couch. 

Motto: I do have a personal motto, but it's about who can and can't be trusted. So, since it could potentially offend, I'll keep it to myself. I do, however, also have a motto for painting minis...

"You can never have too many goblins, and they can never be too weird." 

• Like 9

On 2/16/2019 at 10:48 AM, Corsair said:

Looks like TS is under the weather again, so here goes for today.

Tea: hot or cold?

Depends on the weather.

8 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Well, I totally missed the weekend.  Sorry.  Sick wife and lots to do.  Back at it now though.

Nope.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Feed me. o.o

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

Not particularly.

• Like 3

"Broccoli" happens. Move on and don't waste the effort agonizing over it.  I can't stand it when someone has an emotional meltdown over every trivial speedbump in their life. 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, TaleSpinner said:

Feb 19: What's the longest break you've taken from the forum? (Crowley)

Pretty much anytime I'm away from the computer for an extended length of time.

I think my record is nearly three weeks when I travelled to Japan in late Fall 2017, during ReaperCon (missed the online swag bag that year).

Second closest, slightly over two weeks was in 2015, when I had open heart surgery (and several other procedures). Though I had my tablet with me, there was no wi-fi or computer room for patients at the hospital.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

I'm not sure.  It can't be more than a few days.  (If nothing else, I tend to read the forums during my lunch break at work, if nothing else.)  I know there have been weekends I haven't read the forums.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Two-ish weeks.  Basically any time I'm on vacation away from home.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

I'd say about a day and a half.  Y'know, the longest downtime the forum saw earlier last year ::P:  Does it still count if you were checking, but couldn't get in? :ph34r:

Even when hubby was in the hospital, I was on the forum - heck, even he was checking out this or that on the forums at that time, something he doesn't normally do as he isn't really into forums. 

• Like 6

A week or so.  We've been on vacation/out of the country a few times and I don't travel with devices. 

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Four hundred and thirty days. :ph34r:

Apologies for the Non-Goblinear Maths.

:ik_oops: Sorry Buglips.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

47 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

I honestly don't know the answer, but probably around two to three weeks.

I have never consciously taken a complete break from the forum. When I started my current job, and we were still squatting in coffee shops, and looking for funding, I did scale way back, but I tried to check into the "getting to know you" threads pretty regularly.

• Like 5