Sign in to follow this  
TaleSpinner

Getting to Know You, Feb 2019

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Feb 20: Who is your favorite fantasy artist (2D)?

Bonus: Post a link/image of your favorite painting/illustration of theirs.

My favourite fantasy artist? These fine four gentlemen.

404AD131-4E76-42E6-98A6-D7E5E0CC740F.thumb.jpeg.f0c3fc05716733180518d5ddb6541c69.jpeg

My favourite image would be AF9830C4-3B81-4561-96C3-E5DB81FD26F9.jpeg.d1983d2d2ff75f9a9c4b6444cd4407e3.jpeg

I think Larry Elmore has done better work since, I certainly have more recent favourites, but when I first saw this come out on the cover of Dragon magazine back in the early ‘80’s it really did capture my imagination and continues to do so after more than 30 years.

Edited by Darsc Zacal
  • Like 11

As yes, Tony D's art in Planescape was the reason I loved that setting. When he left & they replaced him with BAXA (I think that is who was there) I was like "Wow, this has such a different feel now.

Funny I look at the silver dragon from Lockwood (who I also love as a artist. He was nice breath of fresh air when I got back into D&D after a short break (HS graduation, HS friends started going their seperate ways, etc etc), & I see Reaper's Argent in that picture. Hmmm can you say inspiration? ::D:

Anther D&D artist I really liked was William O'Connor (RIP) whoes artworked grace much of the 4e version. Love his style, it wasn't cartoony it just had a nice feel to it:

Spoiler

16422369_10155069576338944_5353864909712

dragonlord.jpg

21d88af60ee7f2cd877e5956443fd942.jpg 20k3.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Sidney Sime, if for no other reason than his illustrations for Dunsaney's Gods of Pegana creeped me out as a young man. They still do. 

Mung, and the Beast of Mung

16ca0d8dadad2ce170712b92bd8e536d.jpg.9502bcf314b1d7d38ab5dad683af88f6.jpg

Hish, Lord of Silence

hish.jpg.968d17e8fc60fc2121efc484cbac21ec.jpg

• Like 12

I think it's worth noting that with the advent of digital painting, many modern works look amazing and are in a very competitive environment. Standing out from the crowd really needs something special.

But you got to give kudos to the "old school" artists that did everything by hand.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Overall: My favourite artist of all time is probably not surprising, it's H.R. Giger. If you're not aware, he was the artist that designed xenomorphs. I absolutely dare not post any pictures of his work here because, if you're not familiar, a good 98% of his work is very NSFW and I don't want to think that I'm posting something tame when in fact I have just overlooked something horrifying. If you're not familiar and think you would be offended by pictures of a highly sexual nature, Satanic imagery or any sort of body horror, then I would not suggest google image searching his work, even with safesearch turned on.

Mini Related: Another of my favourites, whose work is very striking and I personally think must be at least somewhat Giger inspired, (I honestly don't remember if I read once that he was or am just assuming) just minus the aforementioned provocative imagery, is Nekro. He's a digital artist who just does the most stunning intricate pictures, I'm always just completely enamoured whenever he puts out a new piece. Here's a link to one of my favourites of his: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/LJwDr (That is on his Artstation account, there are a couple of pictures in his album that contain some mild nudity, should you want to look around.) A couple of his pieces were translated into miniatures by sculptor Ali Jalali and are sold by Nocturna and I am always hoping that they'll continue to collaborate.

Classic Fantasy: Boris Vallejo. Most of my favourites of his are NSFW....and I was going to attach one that I thought would be safe but then the more I looked at it the more I think her top was see-through so nevermind, I don't have time to look for another one that might be safe to post. ::P:

Edited by Guindyloo
  • Like 11

4 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

I really love Larry Elmore, @Zink picked an absolute cracker of a picture there :wub:

It's truly difficult for me to pick a favourite, but Wayne Reynolds is really high on my list. I love the slightly odd way he does negative shadows (is that what you call it? I'm not sure). I also need a mini of both of these characters-

image.png.cf6797d4e64ab87ae25ae53c448da668.png

What do you mean by negative shadows?

• Like 5

8 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I was so excited to share my favorite artist until I realized that it was fantasy artist...  I'm definitely a fan of Lockwood and I really love Stephanie Law's work as well.  An artist I haven't seen mentioned is John Williams Waterhouse--he's technically not a fantasy artist but his style of romanticizing a bygone era really is evocative of the feel of a lot of fantasy settings.

My favorite non-fantasy artist is probably P. S. Krøyer.  

• Like 7

8 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I can't claim to have a favorite.  There's just too much good artwork out there, though I honestly haven't paid much attention to it for a few years.  For the sake of argument however, I've recently been playing FFIII (aka 6) on my SNES classic so I'll go with Yobroccoliaka Amano.  And that one's totally NSFW.  More image searching... OK, here are some random ones for those of you that may not have heard of him.

Edit: Seriously forum, the guy's name is Japanese. Yoshi taka (oneword).

Spoiler

25543.jpg

25314.jpg

25417.jpg

• Like 13

I am shocked, just shocked at @Guindyloo's favorite artist. Here I was thinking she'd prefer the works of John Rea Neill. :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

Edited by redambrosia
Misspelled names, like a boss
  • Haha 7

8 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

I am shocked, just shocked at @Guindyloo's favorite artist. Here I was thinking she'd prefer the works of John Rea Neill. :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

LOL - I hadn't even seen her answer yet when I saw your comment - and my mind immediately knew who her's was. 

7 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I thought her favourite was Lisa Frank. :rolleyes:

This piece, I'm sure:

Spoiler

Lisa Frank Xenomorph

artist is  GalenaLarkin on DeviantArt

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

11 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

LOL - I hadn't even seen her answer yet when I saw your comment - and my mind immediately knew who her's was. 

This piece, I'm sure:

Hide contents

Lisa Frank Xenomorph

That's amazing and I love it.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Auberon said:

I can't claim to have a favorite.  There's just too much good artwork out there, though I honestly haven't paid much attention to it for a few years.  For the sake of argument however, I've recently been playing FFIII (aka 6) on my SNES classic so I'll go with Yobroccoliaka Amano.  And that one's totally NSFW.  More image searching... OK, here are some random ones for those of you that may not have heard of him.

Edit: Seriously forum, the guy's name is Japanese. Yoshi taka (oneword).

Reveal hidden contents

25543.jpg

25314.jpg

25417.jpg

I hadn't seen his art in a very long time, thank you for jogging my memory.

23 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

See, you joke, but he happens to have some Edgar Allen Poe illustrations that I think are great, and his Oz related illustrations are beautiful. I may have a very specific look that I tend to gravitate toward, but I appreciate a lot of different styles of art. Take me to an art museum and I'm going to spend most of my time admiring the renaissance work, for instance.

14 minutes ago, kristof65 said:

This piece, I'm sure:

Reveal hidden contents

Lisa Frank Xenomorph

That has been my cover picture on my facebook account since I created it.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Boris Vallejo and Luis Royo.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor boris vallejo

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor luis royo hd wallpaper

Wow! You managed to find a Luis Royo picture that doesn't need to be spoilered! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

I can't believe I forgot! One of the books I loved growing up (even as a child, despite my mother claiming she "always thought the pics were a bit naughty") was the 1919 edition of E.A.Poe's "Tales of Mystery and Imagination," with illustrations by Harry Clarke.

The long, angular style of his anatomy is the aesthetic of my most enjoyable nightmares, and the intricacy of his textures gave me hours of exploration into each plate. This is the plate for my favorite Poe story, "The Cask of Amontillado:"

30177928091_9e0bdd5fe0_o.jpg.577906964c3e61c3ccdc8b65e47a9c81.jpg

And the plate for "Ligeia" also graced the book's cover:

edit-clarke-poe_118a.thumb.jpeg.8cfceee50b0949aed35782e7bfb96d8c.jpeg

I've often thought of his style as "Klimt and Gorey had a collective nightmare." The timing is entirely wrong for Gorey, but Clarke and Klimt were contemporaries.

Clarke also did illos for an edition of "Faust," and several other things besides, all with the same creepyglam style. But where he truly made his money was in windows. His windows are throughout Ireland, many in Dublin. This is a detail of "The Baptism of Christ," one of several he did on the subject:

Dingle_Presentation_Convent_Chapel_Harry_Clarke_Window_The_Baptism_of_Jesus.jpg.3e672c33569d1c9a0b93ed3224e4b4a1.jpg

• Like 13